My 2010 Season in review! Part 2 June-Oct

Fisherpete

June - ahhhh, the blessed muskie season finally opens. On my second muskie trip of the year, I stumbled upon a lure and a pattern that would serve me and my esox hunting companions well for the entire season, which would see 109 muskies landed. Our best day of the season saw 8 muskies caught in six hours, on a body of water that I had never fished before! The very first one that day was a nice 44", which proceeded to bite my thumb and give me a severe gash... almost packed it in and went to the hospital, but after 45 minutes I got the bleeding to stop, and kept going... 7 muskies later, I was glad I toughed it out! Multiple Personal bests were set for me and my companions - my benchmark now stands at 48", my bud Al at 43", Fishgreg caught his first muskie ever in style at 43.5", my son Nick, at age 11, caught his first muskie (38"), which he soon topped with a 39.5", and he also had a 4 muskie day. I think there were only 3 trips from June to October where we didn't get at least one ski, and one of them was a short 4 hour nightmare in a thunderstorm. I also had the pleasure of fishing a day in the fall with Joey and Paul (Tybo) in their beautiful Lund... we caught a few bass and a pike and I raised one muskie. I think my arms are STILL sore from the amount of casts made that day!

DSCN1815.jpg

DSCN1818.jpg

DSCN1828.jpg

40.jpg

DSCN1859.jpg

IMG_0444.jpg

IMG_0445.jpg

IMG_0449.jpg

IMG_0452.jpg

IMG_0462.jpg

securedownload2.jpg

DSCN1954.jpg

42a.jpg

36musky.jpg

43muskya.jpg

43muskyb.jpg

troll38.jpg

troll40.jpg

sept6h.jpg

455a.jpg

455.jpg

42rel1.jpg

48rel2.jpg

48rel5.jpg

albert42.jpg

pete48a.jpg

pete48c.jpg

pete48d.jpg

DSCF0124.jpg

DSCF0122.jpg

DSCF0131.jpg

DSCF0136.jpg

Just to round out the species list, a few bass were also caught... as I do enjoy tossing a plastic worm under a dock from time to time. Although probably 95% of all my fishing time in the summer and fall was targeting ol' toothy Esox...

DSCN1904.jpg

DSCN1955.jpg

nicebass185.jpg

DSCF0137.jpg

Midsummer also saw a boat upgrade thanks to my loving wifey! In 2009 we had joked around that if we had another baby, she would let me get a new boat. Well turned out she wasn't kidding, and I ran all the way to the Legend dealership waving the pee-stick from the pregnancy test high in the air! The Quest for 50", a 16' bare-bones Tracker utility boat which I had customized into a respectable little fishing machine was my first boat ever, and had served me well for two and a half seasons. It was retired and replaced by a Legend 16' Pro Sport, which I named Muskie Whisperer. Nothing too big or fancy, but fishing specific and perfect for my Kawartha adventures. It is really nice to fish from, and I love the wireless bow mount trolling motor... my boat control has improved dramatically, and my 48" ski was a direct result of a perfectly navigated line along the edge of a drop-off!

DSCF0113.jpg

DSCF0114.jpg

DSCF0115.jpg

DSCF0117.jpg

DSCF0120.jpg

DSCF0119.jpg

My season ended a touch early, with my last day on the water in 2010 being on October 16th, as wifey's pregnancy drew to a close. The obese 50"er that I had planned to boat this November will still be there waiting for me next year, I am sure... another inch longer and two pounds heavier. October 28th saw my biggest and best catch of the season - the arrival of our new baby boy Tyler, who I am sure one day not long from now will eagerly join Nick and I on our piscatorial adventures.

DSCF0312.jpg

DSCF0478.jpg

It is clearly evident that Musky Hunting is only one of your powers. A great multi-species report. I hope to learn even more from you in the future...specifically about catching whities and lakers. Thanks for getting me addicted to chasing the Esox. What a great report!

Edited by fishgreg