Fluorocarbon Leaders

TennesseeGuy

I am talking about float fishing I horse fresh fish ALL the time it's the ONLY way to land big fish in my "Home" waters there's no "steering" the fish because there is wood every where you look .I can't coun't the amount of times I have though "I'm gonna lose this one)as I clamp down on the float reel and hold on ,I also don't use anything less than 6lb leader and have on many occasions out fished guys using lighter line than me .I think abrasion is very important for float fisherman rivers are full of abrasive crap.OH 1 more thing stop using tippets and use regular flouro line way cheaper and stronger but everyone has their own recipe for success.

My bad,we were talking about line abrasion and somehow I made a connection with controlling a hard fighting fish out of harms way of abrasive situations. Typical self consumed steelheader :lol:

I agree with the no increase in hook ups, but don't you find that flouro will take abrasion way better than mono. thats why I use flouro, I find I can still horse a fish (sometimes) out of the wood with flouro which would never happen with mono, it basically snaps if it touches any wood or rocks and flouro will give you a chance to get out of the junk IMO it increases the amount of fish I land not hook ups. Might just be I have way more confidence in the flouro who Knows.

Fluoro is absolutely not more abrasion resistant than mono especially in a steelhead tippet application.

Fluoro by its very nature will become weak if nicked or bruised. Something that happens regularly as personally I usually always have at least some dust shot clamped onto my tippet.

If you move them around, (which I do constantly do when steelheading) a fluoro tippet will become weakened.

Mono, especially maxima ultragreen will not. I've fished with ultragreen tippet that felt like a cheese grater was run across it and it still maintains an amazing amount of strength.

Fluoro similarily shredded will snap instantly.

In any case fluoro does have certain properties that are different from mono, the main one being it sinks faster.

Unfortunately this is not an advantage the way I fish it.

I flat out do not believe it's more invisible to fish than a clear mono of similar diameter.

For those of you who use it exclusively, more power to you. Personally I'd rather spend my money on something other than a 10-15 dollar 30m spool of line that imo is essentially nothing more than a crutch. :)

Fluorocarbon is one of those funny things in fishing. I think if a person really believes in it, they will catch more fish. Not because of the fluorocarbon per se, but because the person feels more confident when using it. That, in turn, means they will fish more effectively, and pay closer attention to every little thing they do. That is what catches more fish.

I love fishing for smallmouth bass with topwaters, and my favourite topwater of all is a particular colour of Rebel Pop-R. It's the standard white bait in G-Finish, with a light blue back. I also use Pop-Rs that are white all over, without the blue back, but they don't work nearly as well. That obviously makes no sense at all, since - if you think about it - the fish can't see the lure's back and have no idea if it is blue or not. It's entirely in my head. I know this. Yet, to this day, I catch more fish on the ones with the blue back than on the plain all-white ones. It's just me. Something about the pretty paint job on the ones with the blue backs just inspires me to pay closer attention, and as a result, I fish more effectively and catch more fish on them. Crazy, but true, and I think fluorocarbon is no different.

Where fluoro is concerned, I personally hate the stuff. In my experience it's fragile, it frays like crazy and is even less durable in cold weather - exactly when I would appreciate having a little edge. Thanks, but I'll stick to mono, which is expensive enough as it is.

But if it works for you, then go nuts! Everyone has their own little confidence items .... for many, fluoro may be it.

Edited by Craig_Ritchie

Fluorocarbon is one of those funny things in fishing. I think if a person really believes in it, they will catch more fish. Not because of the fluorocarbon per se, but because the person feels more confident when using it. That, in turn, means they will fish more effectively, and pay closer attention to every little thing they do. That is what catches more fish.

I love fishing for smallmouth bass with topwaters, and my favourite topwater of all is a particular colour of Rebel Pop-R. It's the standard white bait in G-Finish, with a light blue back. I also use Pop-Rs that are white all over, without the blue back, but they don't work nearly as well. That obviously makes no sense at all, since - if you think about it - the fish can't see the lure's back and have no idea if it is blue or not. It's entirely in my head. I know this. Yet, to this day, I catch more fish on the ones with the blue back than on the plain all-white ones. It's just me. Something about the pretty paint job on the ones with the blue backs just inspires me to pay closer attention, and as a result, I fish more effectively and catch more fish on them. Crazy, but true, and I think fluorocarbon is no different.

Where fluoro is concerned, I personally hate the stuff. In my experience it's fragile, it frays like crazy and is even less durable in cold weather - exactly when I would appreciate having a little edge. Thanks, but I'll stick to mono, which is expensive enough as it is.

But if it works for you, then go nuts! Everyone has their own little confidence items .... for many, fluoro may be it.

Exactly.

Fluoro is absolutely not more abrasion resistant than mono especially in a steelhead tippet application.

Fluoro by its very nature will become weak if nicked or bruised. Something that happens regularly as personally I usually always have at least some dust shot clamped onto my tippet.

If you move them around, (which I do constantly do when steelheading) a fluoro tippet will become weakened.

Mono, especially maxima ultragreen will not. I've fished with ultragreen tippet that felt like a cheese grater was run across it and it still maintains an amazing amount of strength.

Fluoro similarily shredded will snap instantly.

In any case fluoro does have certain properties that are different from mono, the main one being it sinks faster.

Unfortunately this is not an advantage the way I fish it.

I flat out do not believe it's more invisible to fish than a clear mono of similar diameter.

For those of you who use it exclusively, more power to you. Personally I'd rather spend my money on something other than a 10-15 dollar 30m spool of line that imo is essentially nothing more than a crutch. :)

My sentiments as far as steelheading as virtually the same as Solo's. The biggest thing though that turned me off fluoro after trying it for a steelhead leader was flucuating knot strength. Ok , I might knot have been using the latest fluoro approved knots but any plus I got in strength for diameter was nullified by the knot strength and let me assure you that we push the breaking strength of a leader to the utmost only saved in the most part by long shock absorber rods. I too will stick to Maxima or my usual Trilene XT in a similar green. Still moan the fact they apparently discontinued 2 lb. XT, really tested out at a good 4 lb. if truth be known.

The Tackle Tour article is fine, but it was done in 2007. Many of the now popular Fluoro's weren't on the market back then. In fact TT recently commented that it was time for them to retest and update their report.

If it's gin clear and froggy then I'll usually run flouro (Steelheading) more times then not I'm running 4/6lb Maxima.. It definitely takes a beating compared to the flouro from what I've seen. One little nick in flouro and it's over, mono takes a beating especially for how cheap it is. I like to use flouro when jigging for whities and lakers in the winter as a lead (3-4ft with a micro swivel to 6lb Fireline Crystal). If I'm tossing big muskie baits for the toothy critters, it's 100-130lb flouro leads for sure, those lures are to expensive to lose :)

If it's gin clear and froggy then I'll usually run flouro (Steelheading) more times then not I'm running 4/6lb Maxima.. It definitely takes a beating compared to the flouro from what I've seen. One little nick in flouro and it's over, mono takes a beating especially for how cheap it is. I like to use flouro when jigging for whities and lakers in the winter as a lead (3-4ft with a micro swivel to 6lb Fireline Crystal). If I'm tossing big muskie baits for the toothy critters, it's 100-130lb flouro leads for sure, those lures are to expensive to lose :)

I know that's what you do Billy, but have you ever tried without fluoro?

Next time we get out let's do a little test. :)

Guest gbfisher

I've tried 30lb fluoro(two types)for tieing pickerel harnesses against 30lb Trilene XT. The XT would last for twice as many fish, with incidental Pike in between. The fluoro snap offs were always a treat :blink: .

I'm guessing the little stretch of the mono is what helps in some cases.

Have a look at this if you want some info;

http://www.tackletour.com/reviewfluorocarbon2.html

The most pertinent info from that article discusses fluorocarbon's "invisibility" compared to mono. The supposed invisibility is what drives it's sales.

This is copied and pasted from the article:

"Conclusions from our visibility tests? We'd say largely inconclusive. For one, it's difficult to determine if what we see is the same as what a fish can see. From our photographs, it would certainly appear that some of the lines are difficult to find, but then again, so is the Berkley Trilene XL! What's more, how important is line visibility over, say, line diameter? The larger the diameter of your line, the greater disturbance it will create in the water and the easier it will be for a fish to sense this disturbance through its lateral line. In that case, visibility is really a moot point. Once again, too many variables to consider to truly develop a viable conclusion."

So basically to the human eye clear Trilene XL is just as invisible.

Hmmm..what a shock. :sarcasm:

In any case it's impossible to know exactly what a fish is seeing so how can any company possibly claim their line is nearly invisible to fish? LOL!

For me results on the water are the only clear indicator.

The thousands of steelhead landed on mono tippet in glass water clear water speak for themselves. :)

Learning how to read water and presenting your offering properly are infinitely more important factors to success.

I want to congratulate you-guys on a very informative, calm and rational discussion. I have seen this topic quickly degenerate into brawl on some fishing boards.

I think we have pretty well established that with few exceptions, mono is just as good as fluoro at 25% of the cost. In some cases maybe mono is even better!

One thing I especially liked was the in-put from Steelheaders, because they face super clear water and fish that are known to be spooky.

Personally, I will continue to use short fluoro and mono leaders on my braid, depending on whether I want the bait to dive or float.

I know that's what you do Billy, but have you ever tried without fluoro?

Next time we get out let's do a little test. :)

I think the big thing is having confidence, especially when steelheading. That's one thing I still struggle with. I start to second guess myself, and then it's over, lol. I've seen you land more fish on 6lb Maxima in gin clear water then I care to remember :)

Garry,

Your totally correct by stating that the steelheaders are more put up to the task when it comes to using or not using flouro's. Personally I think the spooky highly lethargic steelhead is overated and made up by anglers that have troubles hooking up with them . Like the muskie,a fish of a thousand casts, I think not. If you put yourself in the right place at the right time delivering the right presentation you can catch these steelhead with or without flourocarbon. Ahhh,theres that word again that may open up a hole new can of worms,but I'll let someone else start that thread. PRESENTATION !

The rivers I fish here in BC in the Kootenays, since I moved, have been gin clear each and every time I've gone out, even after a rain. And when I say gin clear, I'm talking about water more clear than anything I've fished previously.

As a results I've been playing around even more between mono and fluoro leaders for Bull Trout and I personally have found no difference in the hook up rate, even on slow days.

What I can say for sure is that I have much more confidence in the strength of my leader when it's mono vs the equivalent fluoro. I too find fluoro to be substantially more sensitive to nicks and scuffs.

The rivers I fish here in BC in the Kootenays, since I moved, have been gin clear each and every time I've gone out, even after a rain. And when I say gin clear, I'm talking about water more clear than anything I've fished previously.

As a results I've been playing around even more between mono and fluoro leaders for Bull Trout and I personally have found no difference in the hook up rate, even on slow days.

What I can say for sure is that I have much more confidence in the strength of my leader when it's mono vs the equivalent fluoro. I too find fluoro to be substantially more sensitive to nicks and scuffs.

Do you guys float fish out there or fly fish and whats your preference in baits ?? Just curious

I guess all of the bass guys that fish smallies on zebra mussel infested Lake Erie don't have a clue what they are doing when they use flouro for it's superior abrasion resistance. I have tested 6lb mono against 6lb flouro and mono breaks WAY easier every time trilene against trilene. Like I said before stop buying the over priced "tippet" materiel and try trilene flouro it is stronger than any 6lb mono and I am certain of that! I have broken my 12lb trilene xl mainline trying to break off a snag(Obviously a fray in the line) .As for all the comments about getting a knick in the flouro and your done, I have used the trilene flouro all day with out re tying my leader and moved my bb shot all over the place without any problem and the line is frayed like crazy .I will say it again deferent people have diferent recipes for success and telling my recipe doesn't work is pretty arrogant or maybe I'm just not very abrasion resistant LOL

Do you guys float fish out there or fly fish and whats your preference in baits ?? Just curious

Where I live, I'm the only centerpin fisherman and even float setup fisherman I've seen. Even the guides I know don't ever see any. Kinda of weird I thought since John Milner makes his famous pins just 20 mins away from me.

So fly fishing is the dominant method here. Fly baits are the usual for small trout, bigger ones like bull trout streamers and clousers are the top flies.

For float fishing I use roe when allowed though haven't had much luck on it. So I float streamers, clousers, bucktails and wolly buggers with good success for Bull Trout. Tried many others like Steelhead jigs but they haven't worked well for me. Pink worms really call the Cutthroats.

i dont know if we are all comparing apples to apples when it comes to fluoro here because I am in agreement with SRT8. maybe you guys are talking about fluoro mainline used as leader material? i only have experience with seaguar fluoro leader material in 8, 15, 50, 65, 130 and 200lb and there's just no comparison between it and mono when it comes to taking a beating from teeth, rocks or zebra mussels - the fluoro is hands down superior. i could care less about the visibility issue, the durability wins for me.

Edited by Raf

i dont know if we are all comparing apples to apples when it comes to fluoro here because I am in agreement with SRT8. maybe you guys are talking about fluoro mainline used as leader material? i only have experience with seaguar fluoro leader material in 8, 15, 50, 65, 130 and 200lb and there's just no comparison between it and mono when it comes to taking a beating from teeth, rocks or zebra mussels - the fluoro is hands down superior. i could care less about the visibility issue, the durability wins for me.

They are talking about fly line tippet material like frogs hair, drennan and such I personally can't stand it but I use trilene flouro mainline as a leader it's $22 for 125yrds compared to $30 for 50yrds I even used rapala flouro with great success and it was $9.99 for 125yrds like I said different recipes for success.

Im sort of on the fence with this one. I feel that if you are fishing very spooky trout in frog water, The light tippets definetly out fish mono leaders. Too many times have I switched to a small 3 # tippet after the morning bite has stopped and it has acounted for a couple more fish. Spooky smallies will also hit a light diameter flouro over mono. Other times I use a 65 # braid straight to a jig and the fish dont seem to care, even in the clearest of water. I think that flouro has its time and place. Just not all the time. Good debate guys