Fluorocarbon Leaders

TennesseeGuy

I use 130# Seagar fluoro for muskies because it doesn't kink like wire leaders.

I used wire for years and the best I ever found were Stringeze, but they would often kink when a musky thrashed and at around $6.00 each it would get expensive, cause once a wire leader is kinked I won't use it again. If you have a good day and catch several fish and each one ruins a leader it gets kinda spendy.

I think the softer fluoro is easier on a musky too when she rolls in the line as it doesn't cut into the flesh the way wire does sometimes.

Thats just my opinion though....

I use the same stuff and the same pound test for big fish. Will go lower to 100 pound in smaller toothy critter water. Cheap, do it yourself, and pick your length of leader. Forget mono leaders! Edited by scuro2

And just because YOU say it's crap doesn't make it so :wallbash:

Absolutely. However,my statements, strong as they may be, are based on thousands of hours on the water.

I've never been one to follow fads or trends.

Anyhow what I do know to be indisputably true, reading the water effectively and proper presentation are far more important factors to success than brand of line.

Some of the best anglers I know have the crappiest tackle...but they've got the touch. :)

I think most people give fish waaay too much credit anyway, they're generally pretty predictable as most creatures of instinct are.

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

i use fluoro for a few applications but the fluoro explosion is ridiculous, especially in terms of main line (anybody else still use xl for their spinning gear?).

when i was a teen i used to scour fishing mags, watch all the fishing shows saturday and sunday mornings on tnn, and drool over the latest gear... eventually i realized that the fishing biz, like any biz, must constantly reinvent itself to remain relevant and profitable.

fishing reminds us of things like this every time we bring out a friend, girlfriend, or child with minimal experience and get outfished by them using a closed faced reel and a worm on a jighead.

Edited by Dr. Salvelinus

Absolutely. However,my statements, strong as they may be, are based on thousands of hours on the water.

I've never been one to follow fads or trends.

Anyhow what I do know to be indisputably true, reading the water effectively and proper presentation are far more important factors to success than brand of line.

Some of the best anglers I know have the crappiest tackle...but they've got the touch. :)

I think most people give fish waaay too much credit anyway, they're generally pretty predictable as most creatures of instinct are.

Exactly how I have developed my stance on flouro and I have been using the same 13' floatrod for over 10 years now nad it would prolly be considered crappy tackle to most the gear heads and tackle junkies,but it landed me well over 100 Lake Erie chromers this fall all on trilene 6lb flouro. it's the same reason they make a zillion different reels and rods ect,ect everyone has a different way of doing things a couple people have said vanish is crap, I love it never had a problem with it but I have only used it for smallies and 8lb+.