Do you name your rods?

SlowPoke

Do you name your rods?  

36 members have voted

1. 1. Your thoughts on naming rods.

• Yep, all of them!
    • Only my favourites.
    • No, that's just silly.

I just replied to Mo's BPS shopping post and suggested that she could name her new rod after Tyler. For those that don't know the back story, Mo received a gift card from BPS in appreciation for her efforts in organizing a fund raiser "Fishing For Tyler".

Naming fishing rods has never been a practice of mine and until recently I never gave it any thought.

Last week I bought a boat. I had originally looked at it last summer and we could not do a deal because there was a problem with the trailer registration as it had been inheireted by the son (Brad) and was not correctly transferred into his name. It took until last week for the MTO to sort things out and Brad contacted me and we did the deal. It was a tough negotiation as Brad and I had gotten to know eachother a bit and I knew there was an emotional attachment to the boat but in the end we were both satisfied with our agreement.

Among other goodies, Brad gave me a rod that was given to his father as a gift. A very nice Shimano Triton 300 and a Fenwick trolling rod. It occured to me when I got home that naming the rod after his father would be a nice gesture. I think Brad was appreciative of the gesture and commented that his mother was tickeled by my intention.

I now have a rod named Lou, or Louis as he was called when he was in trouble with his wife!

-Brian

I admit it I named a couple of my rods.... I have a 11.5 ft Catera that I named the "cat" because of the way it sneaks up on fish. My newest rod is a Dick Swan Company emerald that I named the "dickster" because on it's "maiden voyage" it lost it's virginity by catching two fish. So everyone who fishes with me knows that when I break out the "dickster" I am not just "dicking" around it is serious fishing time... Sad I know but when you are as bad at steelheading as I am you have to amuse yourself somehow. LOL.

i am a custom rod builder in the business and i do get alot of request for *names* on a rod.. but always ask for 50% down when adding a name due to past problems with being stiffed with a couple rods.. Know anyone with the name Bertha??? :P:lol:

cliff...

Sorry most of the rods have names like Bass rod or Catfish rod I would have trouble keeping track of all of the names if I did anything else. Well actually I have one rod with a name it is ART and is being built by Chris for delivery at Lak Air I can hardly wait.

Art

"Black Beauty"...

It was named by my kids way back in the days when I only owned one good rod and reel (Mitchel 300)...the rod was by Berkly and had tons of nylon tape and nail polish holding the guides on it where the threads had become frayed...

It is hanging on the "Wall of Fame" in my son Steven's trailer at Rice Lake and was pressed into service if company didn't have equipment...the reel disappeared after one season on the wall (after forty years of use) but maybe will reappear when the trailer comes down this year...