2 stroke oil in your vehicles fuel tank (nf)

Raf

Not a good idea.

It would clog the catalytic converter and coat the oxygen sensors over time because it would not burn completely in the combustion chamber.

I bet it would void warranty too.

Why would you want to add it anyway?

Engines made today last the lifetime of the vehicle if maintained normally.

Waste of money.

Lots of additives are a waste (not all).

The power of advertising.....

Edited by Bernie

BillM, why add it to the diesel?? I'm kicking around the idea of getting a Jetta TDI in the new year at some point so I'm educating myself on the idiosyncracies of running a diesel car.

As for a gas car, I don't think it would be a good idea,as Bernie said, the new engines they are building are more reliable and efficient than anything of the past. With regular maintenance (changing the engine oil regularly being the most important) there isn't too much reason why an engine would not go well over 300 000kms and even approaching 500 000.

1 oz./5 gallons isnt much oil in the gas. I don't think it would be enough to do any harm at all. I'm not sure I get the point of adding it though, so I wouldn't do it.

I have always burnt my un-used mixed gas in my vehicles though. Never had a problem. This is with a 50:1 mix to boot.

S.

as i understand it, the 1oz/5gal is about 600:1 mix. tcw3 is an ashless oil and being two stroke oil it's design to all burn off. i don't see a 600:1 mix fouling up o2/cats. the theory is the detergents in the tcw3 oil also act as a top-end cleaner. the benefits listed are lubricating moving parts (ie fuel pump, cylinder walls for cold starts)... there's more to it all, the thread is 43 pages long.

don't shoot the messenger just something i stumbled upon and haven't tried myself. the folks who have tried it, all report small gains in mpg and a smoother running motor but it is the internet.. blah blah

i'm as big a skeptic when it comes to fuel/oil additives as they come!

Edited by Raf

Been doing it for several years, started at 100k and am now close to 300k on the truck, it seemed to quiet things down on spool up with a slight increase in mileage (2% to 3%), no problems with sensors or catalytic converters.

Speaking about additives; it bothered me that when fuel companies started adding ethanol to gas, my mileage dropped about 5% running that stuff. It seems counter intuitive that we have to burn more fuel (more $$) to be environmentally sustainable. Yet the government pays subsidies (more of our $$ again) to support the program that essentially raises crop prices and makes less food available in the world.

Dan

Been doing it for several years, started at 100k and am now close to 300k on the truck, it seemed to quiet things down on spool up with a slight increase in mileage (2% to 3%), no problems with sensors or catalytic converters.

Speaking about additives; it bothered me that when fuel companies started adding ethanol to gas, my mileage dropped about 5% running that stuff. It seems counter intuitive that we have to burn more fuel (more $$) to be environmentally sustainable. Yet the government pays subsidies (more of our $$ again) to support the program that essentially raises crop prices and makes less food available in the world.

Dan

I run a turbo engine, so always burn premium fuel. I notice a big difference between fuel with ethanol and fuel without it. I burn Shell V-power whenever possible (no ethanol, yet), and my mileage is increased substantially. Ethanol fuel I get around 400km/60 L, V-power I'm getting almost 500km consistently......even city driving. The worste is the ultra 94 from sunoco, that stuff is garbage!!

Anyone here adding anything to a turbo to increase mileage?? I'd love to hear about it.

S.

Anyone here adding anything to a turbo to increase mileage?? I'd love to hear about it.

S.

Add a piece of wood under the gas pedal. Hahah. Keep your foot out of it. It's tough but worked for me when I had a turbo ;)

If this works on a naturally aspirated motor, no reason it would not work on a forced fed one.

Biteme, be interesting to hear your findings.. winter blend gas typically makes you lose 1-2 mpg anyway.

Thanks for posting your results Dannyboy.

Edited by Raf

BillM, why add it to the diesel?? I'm kicking around the idea of getting a Jetta TDI in the new year at some point so I'm educating myself on the idiosyncracies of running a diesel car.

As for a gas car, I don't think it would be a good idea,as Bernie said, the new engines they are building are more reliable and efficient than anything of the past. With regular maintenance (changing the engine oil regularly being the most important) there isn't too much reason why an engine would not go well over 300 000kms and even approaching 500 000.

For my car at least it lubes the injection pump. ULSD doesn't have the same lubricity as old LSD used to, so I need to make sure all the expensive parts stay lubricated. I know guys that add in a bit of BioDiesel(B20,B50) to each tank with the same effect...

All depends on the type of diesel though, the new common rail engines found in the new TDI's are completely different beasts then the Bosch VE rotary pump engine found in my car :) I wouldn't recommend adding in premix with those engines (They don't need it)

BTW, my TDI is at 553,000kms and running stronger then ever :)

Edited by BillM

Alright

Tonight when I get home I will start this test a couple of updates here and there and I plan to do this up till I drive to the Lakair GTG in the summer. I do 95 % of anywork on this victim and its a daily driver.

Picture of the Victim

And a Picture of the Victims Vital signs

Alrighty here we go!!!!

Peter

Picture 002 (600 x 448).jpg

Picture 003 (600 x 448).jpg

BillM, you'll probably get 750k outta her if not more. It's that kind of longetivity and fuel economy that I'm looking for if what I'm working on now pans out. I'm going to be driving over 60 000kms/year and that's only for work. The thought of spending that kind of money on gasoline at these prices makes me shudder even with an Accord or Camry. I took out the new Jetta and it drives just like my old '91 did, but even tighter and smoother with more room.