Stay off the ice

Big Cliff

Hey Clifff - This report ( or one similar ) is released every year at this time. I wonder if they actually bother to check the ice or just release the report.

Any responsible angler should always check the ice for themselves and understand that even in mid February deep freeze - NO ice is 100% safe.

Don

I too believe they put out that report this time of year, whether the ice is safe or not

now having said that...one must check the ice and know the conditions around him and be safe

no fish is worth dying for

be safe, rivers and river mouths can be very unsafe depending on the amount of water its moving

Guest gbfisher

That story is UNTRUE. The guy hit a slush hole and that was it. The police were called and they turned around when they saw the Truck on shore with the hut behind it. Nice how news papers blow it right out their..... :whistling::oops:

No One went through the ice!

Few more weeks of perchin on SAFE ICE yet! It is thicker than it has been all year.

STILL...... :stretcher: ........... travel with safety in mind!

I got a call from one of my fishing buddies this morning saying that he was in Barrie on Thursday returning from a ski trip, he and another friend were following another person tracks (not in the same group) when he saw the guy going through the ice! He though for a moment to run and help the guy but wasn't wearing his full float suit and thought the better of it, after the guy went through and calmed down, he kicked and climbed his way out then ran back to his vehicle on shore, needless to say my friend decided it was not worth fishing in that situation. I have no reason not to believe my friend as he is an avid angler as well but just not willing to die for it.

Everyone, Be safe out there!

HF

A few years ago some friends went out on Simco about this time of the year. They fished until about noon then headed in. By 2:00 pm the ice where they had been fishing was gone, broken away and floated out.

They were lucky. If this warning even makes one person be extra careful out there then it was worth posting true or not.

I just don't want to read about any of you other than on here.

Here in the bay,there is a warm water outlet from the sewage plant.It is posted on the land both at the Tiffen boat launch,the fountian and the Barrie Marina. One year there was even a guy that went in even with open water visual. :wallbash:

Un marked hut holes are also out there.

That story is UNTRUE. The guy hit a slush hole and that was it. The police were called and they turned around when they saw the Truck on shore with the hut behind it. Nice how news papers blow it right out their..... :whistling::oops:

No One went through the ice!

Few more weeks of perchin on SAFE ICE yet! It is thicker than it has been all year.

STILL...... :stretcher: ........... travel with safety in mind!

When after checking one of the other boards, I have no doubt the guy reporting it is telling the truth, it was a van now sitting under 10 FOW.

Me and the boys were out on Thursday and saw a guy go thru at the sewage outfall.

Hw was lucky and only ended up with two major soakers.

we spoke with him after he was aware of the 'soft 'spot but walking into the early morning sun with the glare off the ice he lost track of where he was.

16" plus of good ice where we were.

TB

I worked with one of the guys (west Indian guy) many years ago who (with 3 buddies) got stuck out on ice that had separated from shore, (maybe you remember the story in the paper) but were rescued later that day. Funny story, but scary @ the same time.

Guest gbfisher
When after checking one of the other boards, I have no doubt the guy reporting it is telling the truth, it was a van now sitting under 10 FOW.

Really eh? What site were you reading? :dunno: We are talking about the ice between Georgina aren't we?

Should have heard the ice today. Booming(making) more than I've heard it all season. There were CARS driving all around Fox and snake today. Good day of perchin. Got a limit off the west side. Be a good few weeks of SAFE ice yet!...Walking of course. :rolleyes: I wouldn't drive on it myself. Make for a good walk.

Went back and got it off the Simcoe board:The truck was a mini van not real heavy, followed a trail used several times that morning. Temp was still -7C had been colder that night. Van found a spot were two small, maybe an inch or two wide, cracks came together. One side dropped and the driver got out, couple minuts later the van broke through completly and now rests in 10ft of water between Georgina Island and Virginia Beach. 22 inches of ice snapped off with only the weight of a Ford Aerostar. Ice is unpredictable this time of year. A channel news also had the report

Guest gbfisher

how bout a LINK. I don't seem to be able to find what yer referring to. :huh:

I only found this on A-Channel and nothing on either Simcoe Board...

Simcoe ice

Edited by gbfisher

how bout a LINK. I don't seem to be able to find what yer referring to. :huh:

I only found this on A-Channel and nothing on either Simcoe Board...

Simcoe ice

http://www.lakesimcoemessageboard.com/inde...;id_dbase=63027

To the best of my info, the fellow that posted this is local law enforcement officer from the island.

Guest gbfisher

well now isnt that a freak accident...crazy fishermen fishing next to the road...always have to be safe out there for sure.

Thanks for the link!