float suit suggestions one or two piece?

bow slayer

Looking to buy a new float suit just can't decide on a 1 or 2 piece suit. It seems to me the 1 piece would be warmer and safer,but the 2 piece would be more comfortable but if you end up in the water would it not allow water in to your body quicker than a 1 piece. it seems to me water would be able to find it way between the jacket and pants where as a 1 piece you would be more sealed?

Any suggestion on brands would be great. I also have a older canadian navy issued float jacket with the beavertail system no bibs for sale if anyone is interested.

I have a Mustang Integrity one piece suit. You are correct that the one-piece not allowing water to your body quicker. It's about personal comfort and warmth. Try them on and see what works best for you. Some like the convenience of being able to take the jacket off in a warm hut. I do a lot of fishing in the open and the one-piece for me keeps the heat in nicely. Although, with new materials and new designs these days I can't see there being much of a difference in cold weather performance between the two.

I have both and it all depends what you are using it for the 1 peice I use in the boat late in the year or if I am fishing where I know getting overheated or space is an issue the 2 peice I wear Ice fishing so you can take the jacket off and its not so bulky also the one peice is a wedgy machine while on the snowmobile

Dan

get the 2 piece I have one and it's great. Much more comfortable than one piece. But before you buy check out this new suit Artic Armor now available in Canada. Just a bit more pricey than a floater but much more light weight and mobile and comfortable. I held one first hand and a floater does not compare. I spoke to the rep for canada and he said it will float 280 lbs. If I just didn't buy my floater a year ago I would be buying this suit.

http://www.idigear.com/video3.php

http://www.youtube.com/user/ArcticArmorSuit?feature=mhum#p/a/f/1/TEPqwf_PEgs

Guest gbfisher

Two piece all the way. If yer in the water for longer than a minute yer all wet regardless. You can swim and move around better with a 2 piece.

The ability to take your jacket off is the best part. I fish outside all the time though the winter and stay quite warm with the two piece. I've had a couple different makes of both one and two piece.

Artic Armor is good but I don't think it's aproved.

I have a 2 piece which makes it a little more versatile. I think the one piece is warmer and safer. The only draw back is trying to have a whizz with that stupid bib :whistling::dunno: . They should have some sort of a zipper in the crotch. :worthy:

My pop has that same short fall Dave. He had a seamstress put a zipper in the bib. :whistling:

Just say,n. :tease:

Dumb question here but I’m still kind of confused (easily done) with these floater suits; tell me if this is what they are designed to do, other then keep you afloat.

They are not designed to keep you dry when you fall in; but stop the water from continually exchanging. As in once the water is in there, it stays and stops (or slows) fresh ice cold water from coming in; giving you more time before your body shuts down from the cold????

Dan.

there are not dry suits

they keep you afloat and slows down hypothermia..but you need to get out of the water and get to heat as quick as possible

the water that does get in warms up somewhat but you still get cold

Getting a suit with neoprene cuffs and ankles, helps to prevent water going in faster. It acts like a seal.

and a seal can swim real well, so that's good

as long as someone doesn't club you..LOL

Hahahahaha, too funny Terry.

So, thinking of this two piece, because a 1 piece would be a real pain for me :whistling: If you took the jacket off and fell in, would just your bottom half float and the rest would be heavier and go underwater? That would be worse than not having anything on at all no?

Hahahahaha, too funny Terry.

So, thinking of this two piece, because a 1 piece would be a real pain for me :whistling: If you took the jacket off and fell in, would just your bottom half float and the rest would be heavier and go underwater? That would be worse than not having anything on at all no?

You're cuter in a one piece, Joey. Trust me. :)

yes it's not approved but no one brings a life jacket ice fishing. Not that I've seen. The rep said if they made the suit coast guard approved it would cost triple the price.

I just bought a one piece suit that is Canadian Coast Guard approved.

Can be bought for under $300.

It's a Helly Hansen Delta II.

CMS_6-123-thumbImage.jpg

Be Safe: Rick

I just bought a one piece suit that is Canadian Coast Guard approved.

Can be bought for under $300.

It's a Helly Hansen Delta II.

CMS_6-123-thumbImage.jpg

Be Safe: Rick

Same here but I spent the little extra on the Helly Hanson Alpha one pc $375.00 OUT THE DOOR and he let me do it in two payments so the wife wouldn't notice!!

R.I.P gery, kingsway sports tackle, guelph

i have a buoy o bouy 2 piece, was good in the beginning,10yrs ago,all the insulation in it as move to the bottom of the legs and the arm cuffs,i use it for first and last ice,I have an Ice Armour Extreme ,is 2 piece,very comfy,easy to get around in and is too warm,the buoy o buoy is like wearing a card board box,stiff and not plyable.Not sure if it floats tho,don t think so,but am not plannning on going swimmin with it.

i have a buoy o bouy 2 piece, was good in the beginning,10yrs ago,all the insulation in it as move to the bottom of the legs and the arm cuffs,i use it for first and last ice,I have an Ice Armour Extreme ,is 2 piece,very comfy,easy to get around in and is too warm,the buoy o buoy is like wearing a card board box,stiff and not plyable.Not sure if it floats tho,don t think so,but am not plannning on going swimmin with it.

If you feel like testing your suit, find a beach that's not too busy and go for a swim. Obviously, this is the kind of test that would be best attempted in the summer. Wade in slowly, don't jump in off a dock. If your suits floatation is no good, it will pull you under.

For the OP... First ice, I like a one piece suit. A few reasons. First is safety. The other is that I don't bring my hut out and therefore have no reason to remove my jacket. A one piece is less draughty on the frigid days. And when you work up a sweat, you can cool off by opening the zipper to let out some steam. Once the ice thickens up, I bring the hut and layer up under a good winter coat and snow pants. No real need for a float suit at this time and it allows me to remove my jacket once I get the heater going.

Id go with a 1 piece suit if I was in your shoes.