Lower Niagara Musky

Aaron Shirley

Gman joined me for a musky troll on the Niagara River on Saturday for what could be our last kick at the can for the season. Figuring there would be a lot of fishing pressure on the upper, we decided to try the lower. I didn't expect much, knowing that the lower river is typically a very tough musky fishery with a small population. Also, knowing the trout fishing would probably be hot, I removed all my trout gear out of the boat so I wouldn't be tempted to go for trout after trolling for hours without a bite.

NiagaraMusky_2010_01.jpg

NiagaraMusky_2010_02.jpg

For those of you that haven't noticed, there are 4 rods in the water in Ontario waters of the lower Niagara River in our spread shot, and only 2 of us fishing. The regs changed about three years ago to allow 2 rods per person on the Ontario side of the lower Niagara River, but it is still only one rod per person for the upper Niagara. The extra rods still didn't help us any lol.

We trolled up and down the Ontario shoreline for 12 hours into the December darkness. We varied our speeds, did S patterns, switched up lures and colours often, and despite the beautiful green water with about 2.5' of vis, we only managed one small musky at about 1pm. It was about 38" give or take. I got the fish on a 13" Grandma, and it came in like a wet sock while I winched it in with a Rapala Hydros reel spooled up with 80lb Suffix braid. I was hoping to see a mid-forty-inch range musky or bigger, but I didn't even mark one big hook in the 12 hours we fished :( Still better than getting skunked.

NiagaraMusky_2010_03.jpg

NiagaraMusky_2010_04.jpg

Even though it was tough fishing, it was a beautiful December day to be out trolling with a buddy. We saw some nice wildlife and shared a few laughs. Thanks for joining me Gavin.

NiagaraMusky_2010_05.jpg

NiagaraMusky_2010_06.jpg

I'm trying to get the last day of the ontario musky season off work to try again. Hey, a tough day of musky fishing is still better than working :) After December 15th, I'll be chasing chrome. Good luck to anyone that will be out for the last kick at the can musky fishing!

Aaron

Thanks Aaron!!! I'm almost equipped to hunt for muskie for the first time next season.Got the rod, now lets hope Santa is an angler so he knows what reel i need.Got some nice spinners from MikeP to get me started, and hopefully a day on the water with Roy as my teacher.clapping.gif