It was freezing! But we caught some fish

limeyangler

Hi all,

Got out today at a local walleye lake. The walleye were shy, my buddy Carmon got a beauty at around 22", the rest of us made do with small eaters. Last year we did really well all over this lake, today however was a slow day. The whitefish were out to play thogh for sure which was great fun while we waited for the wallaye bite which never really came.

The trail was not broken in, we were the first ones again this year and despite the deep snow made good time getting in. I got stuck bad in deep snow on the way back...and after quite a few lung fulls of polaris exuast..we were free.

Lew, Carmon, Moe, and Tyler were great company as usual,Moe's pop up was a godsend as the temps were around -28 celcius all day.

GORGEOUS IF NOT damn FREEZING DAY.

IMG_1465.jpg

IMG_1464.jpg

IMG_1463.jpg

IMG_1471.jpg

SOME VIDEO OF TODAY...NOT AS MUCH AS USUAL...TOO COLD TO TAKE MY GLOVES OFF AND FILM...LOL

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKKuI0aLriE?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param'>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKKuI0aLriE?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKKuI0aLriE?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

I just had to wipe a little drool from my face. It froze a bit on the way down after reading your post.

I have this weird rash ... and it's really itchy. The doctor told me that the only cure to rid of the rash was to apply some of that white fluffy stuff like we see in your photos. What is that, anyway? We don't have anything like that here in Toronto. I'm going to start digging in my backyard for it. It's gotta be here somewhere.

Awesome day Simon!

There's the report I was looking forward too B) What took you so long eh :blink::whistling::lol:

Looks like a fun day out minus the temps :wacko:

Questions Simon.... what was the ice thinkness on that lake? and why aren't you guys keeping the whities for the pan?

The whities make a great table fare.... similar to walleye taste wise and just as flaky flesh wise.

With the temps dipping that low I guess we can expect another back yard outing / video from you eh :whistling:

Always enjoy watching them and keep them coming my friend!!!

Thanks for sharing

Jacques

Okay now you've gone and done it Simon, jeez, now I really want to get out there :wallbash::D

Great report, pics and video.

Joey

Joey, safe ice has been so long coming here....i thought i was gonna be reading Simcoe reports before i got out there this year !!!!

But as you can see by my thermometer (pic taken 2 minutes ago) normal service has resumed.

IMG_1478.jpg

nice work!!! get some twittens and you can use your camera and stay warm.

Thanks RC, i just googled twittens, thanks for the suggestion but i actually own lots of those already. My problem is that the first year i was here i was ignorant to the effects of extreme cold on your hands, one trip with minus 28 and 30kmh winds with no shelter and i was educated the hard way, real bad frostnip on both hands, now i need gloves to take milk out of the fridge...lol.

awesome day on the ice congrats to you four

Thanks Corvy, you ice fishing this year?

I just had to wipe a little drool from my face. It froze a bit on the way down after reading your post.

I have this weird rash ... and it's really itchy. The doctor told me that the only cure to rid of the rash was to apply some of that white fluffy stuff like we see in your photos. What is that, anyway? We don't have anything like that here in Toronto. I'm going to start digging in my backyard for it. It's gotta be here somewhere.

Awesome day Simon!

Thanks Disco, i'm pretty sure you wont have to dig...didn't you guys just get a dump of the white stuff?

looks real cold

but great to see you guys getting out

I will find some good ice soon

Yeah...ice does not seem to be the issue...its like you said Terry...its finding "good Ice"

There's the report I was looking forward too B) What took you so long eh :blink::whistling::lol:

Looks like a fun day out minus the temps :wacko:

Questions Simon.... what was the ice thinkness on that lake? and why aren't you guys keeping the whities for the pan?

The whities make a great table fare.... similar to walleye taste wise and just as flaky flesh wise.

With the temps dipping that low I guess we can expect another back yard outing / video from you eh :whistling:

Always enjoy watching them and keep them coming my friend!!!

Thanks for sharing

Jacques

I hear ya Jacques, i love whitefish for the table, i did not keep mine because i wknew my wife had supper sorted for the next 2 days, and after that i was at work from 12pm till 10pm until friday so would not get the chance to cook them. The other boys i cannot speak for...guess they had their reasons.

The backyard outing....hmmmmmm.....the fish have not been there all year apart from a brief appearance at ice out, but i will be out there sure enough, even if there are no fish, its convenient, and its not always about catching for me....sometimes i just need to smell auger fumes and stare at the hole in the ice for an hour or two and the world becomes a better place :thumbsup_anim:

now that's cold

and I sure hear you about frostbite

got my ears frostbitten and now a cool breeze in the summer and they hurt , in the winter protecting my ears is my first thought every time I go out now

-30 ......now that's making ice

Simon,have you heard the ice on the "Goon" by your place "singing or groaning" as this cold weather makes more ice?

My GF's place is about 200m from Little Neck bay on Eagle Lk & I haven't heard anything this year,I know we have a very heavy snow cover, but normally this weather would make the lake "sing",esp on these very still,cold nights.

Simon,have you heard the ice on the "Goon" by your place "singing or groaning" as this cold weather makes more ice?

My GF's place is about 200m from Little Neck bay on Eagle Lk & I haven't heard anything this year,I know we have a very heavy snow cover, but normally this weather would make the lake "sing",esp on these very still,cold nights.

Nope, aint heard the Goon singing yet, was kinda hoping to. As we left the lake we were on in the report we did hear 2 big booms, music to my ears. But that lake is deeper than the goon, we were not sure given the lack of snow and realtively thick 'good' ice whether it had frozen over after the dump of snow. It could have just been that the winds were out of the N and NW when the snow flew, blowing it out of the bay we were in...the debate raged while we were out there....alls i know is its a lousy start to the year as far as ice is concerned. PS....ive sent you a PM.

Thanks Simon, I am also chompin at the bit now that i have my Clam base camp shelter, just need to get it out there.

BTW Simon what type of shelter is that in the picture, if its the Clam base camp, was it the thermal and was warm enough ?

"ITS the most wonderful time of the year" :thumbsup_anim:

Thanks Simon, I am also chompin at the bit now that i have my Clam base camp shelter, just need to get it out there.

BTW Simon what type of shelter is that in the picture, if its the Clam base camp, was it the thermal and was warm enough ?

"ITS the most wonderful time of the year" :thumbsup_anim:

Yup, i think it is a base camp. I was impressed by the material, way hardier than my Otter. Its thick and heavy, almost felt rubberized, i'm guessing it is the thermal stuff, we had a sunflower heater in there, it was like a sauna!

Yup, i think it is a base camp. I was impressed by the material, way hardier than my Otter. Its thick and heavy, almost felt rubberized, i'm guessing it is the thermal stuff, we had a sunflower heater in there, it was like a sauna!

awesome Simon, good to know, just need the weather to cooperate so I can get out there and test it Jan 1 or 2

So jealous (somehow really cold is still fine if you're out on the lake).

Funny how that goes, until you realise you have frost nip because you were not registering the cold.

hey simon i use my boat all year on the lower niagara i won't go on the ice fell through once if your up this way i will take you out for some bow's

Man...thats awesome, will definitely take you up on that some day Corvy. You anywhere near London Ontario?

awesome Simon, good to know, just need the weather to cooperate so I can get out there and test it Jan 1 or 2

Ahhhhhhh......Jan 1st....LAKERS!!!!!!!

Nice job, out there braving the weather. Possibly be fishing this coming Sunday or Saturday with the little brother.

Good job and thanks for sharing,

MTBF

Your lucky Mike, nobody in my family fishes or has the remotest interest in fishing, makes me wonder how i got to like it so much, lol, maybe cuz i knew none of the family would ever want to come with me! But seriously, must be good to get out with your bro, i'm hoping my son is into it, at the moment its all about snowmeans (thats how he says 'snowmachine')

I might have spoke 1 day too soon,Eagle Lk is singing & popping this morning :thumbsup_anim:

I might have spoke 1 day too soon,Eagle Lk is singing & popping this morning :thumbsup_anim:

Good to hear BL, i know Carmon and tyler hit Bear Narrows last weekend, with all the -20 days and -30 nights the last week everything should be locked up good and safe soon, i still dont think we will get to use the ice road before new year here in Dryden though.

just a guess hour 1/2 your friends should know london to niagara summer for kings in lake ontario eyes in lake erie fall and winter rainbows, lakers,and browns

I'll see ya the summer after next then Corvy. My wife's folks are in London and St. Thomas. My father in law has a trailer in Erieau, went out for bows 3 years ago...was awesome.