First Ice Fishing Report of the season!

Stoty

Ice Fishing Report (Dec 9th)

Given the cold temperatures of late, we decided to head out to one of our “first ice” areas to check the ice conditions. Much to our surprise, the ice thickness was much more than we thought it would be (2 1/4 – 2 3/4 of HARD black ice). We slowly spudded our way out to the spot and within seconds, the Vexilar lit up like a Christmas tree (Tis the Season)! From 3:30pm to 5p.m, 8 fish were landed between two of us and sizes ranged from 2lbs-6lbs. All Eyeballs were taken on a combination of Northland’s new Fish Fry Minnow Spoon (1/4 Oz Dace/Chub) and Northland Tackle’s Macho Minnow (1/4 oz Super Glo FT).

Northland Fish-Fry Minnow Spoon Dace Chub

Chub.gif

Outside of the excellent fishing there is a much more important matter that needs your attention!

Safe ice for US, may not be safe ice for YOU. It is a personal preference. Although we had no issues getting out to our location, as there was no snow on the ice, there were still several noticeable areas that were certainly unsafe. I advise anyone that is planning to go out in the near future to exercise EXTREME caution whether you are familiar with the area or not.

Here is a quick pic of some of the Eyeballs!!!!

report_dec9_2010.jpg

G2 Angling Blog

Be safe,

*Stoty

Awesome stuff Stoty! Thanks for the info on the lure.....i saw those somewhere but hesitated to buy as it seemed like one of those new lures that come out every year that attract anglers rather than fish....i might just buy one or two now.

Great advice on safe ice too, i personally have walked on 3" of black ice, there was snow on it but that snow arrived after the ice had formed to that thickness, however i did not feel comfortable fishing on it...personal preference or 'pucker factors' vary....lol. This year has been an nightmare for ice here with the huge dump of snow we had just as the lakes froze. The deep trout lakes should have good ice this year as they missed the snow and locked up just after the stuff dumped...but the shallower walleye lakes are gonna be treacherous, slushy and very dangerous for a while if not all year!

personal preference or 'pucker factors' vary.

LOL!!!

Now I have to go the BPS and impulse buy more gear..

Make sure you go to BPS this weekend!! It's their annual "Ice Fishing" weekend!

Tons of great deal, lots of pro's on hand to give seminars and answer any questions as well!

Nicely done...is that really the BOQ?!?!?

I walked around BPS with that live forage minnow...but put it back after a while. If the paint job was on both sides I might've kept it....oh well. Waiting to find the minnow trap blade baits :D

Very impressive, Stoty...keep it comin....but beware of letter bombs from NWOntario...Limey gets pretttttyyyyyy jealous of people catching fish while he's landlocked whistling.gif