When is Fizzing fish a must?

bassfighter

How deep of a catch till we need to potentially Fizz them:

For bass?

For perch?

For Walleye?

I heard Lake trouts or Salmon do not have any problem and self equalized upon reaching the surface.

Here is an article about Fizzing fish http://sports.espn.go.com/outdoors/bassmaster/columns/story?page=b_col_bt_1106_fizzing_procedure

I have never done it before, but wondering if anglers should start carrying needles on their boats just to be ready when it needs to be done. The other issue is if not done with experience and proper knowledge, Will the needle also potentially or accidentally end up puncturing other internal organ resulting in killing the fish?

Edited by bassfighter

If you're not carrying a fillet knife and prepared to eat them, don't fish deeper than 30 feet unless you are after Lake Trout. Even at that... you'd better be ready to eat some fish as we were pulling up walleye in 90 FOW last winter and you aren't gonna fizz them!

How deep of a catch till we need to potentially Fizz them:

For bass?

For perch?

For Walleye?

I heard Lake trouts or Salmon do not have any problem and self equalized upon reaching the surface.

Here is an article about Fizzing fish http://sports.espn.go.com/outdoors/bassmaster/columns/story?page=b_col_bt_1106_fizzing_procedure

I have never done it before, but wondering if anglers should start carrying needles on their boats just to be ready when it needs to be done. The other issue is if not done with experience and proper knowledge, Will the needle also potentially or accidentally end up puncturing other internal organ resulting in killing the fish?

Usually anything over 20 fot, a sure fire way to tell if they need fizzing is to put them in the livewell for 15 minutes, if they are floating on there sides and are not upright in the livewell they need fizzing, can they be fizzed wrong? yes for sure, a proper fizzing needle should be a 18 guage needle and the tube attached with the plunger removed helps with hearing the air coming out, but care should be taken as to not remove to much air as this is harmful as well, practice makes perfect, try with smallier fish first until you feel comfortable doing it or just release the fish quickly to avoid it filling with air.Fizzing is mostly done to bass or walleye caught deep in which they spend time in a livewell awaiting a weighin at a tournament.when properly done this is a valuable tool when fishing.I fizz fish on a regular basis as i fish erie lots, have i lost fish before Yes! but they end up as dinner as to not waste them.

Maybe just me but I don't like the whole concept of everyone running around with big needles and sticking them in fish.

Like Wayne said - if you do fish that deep be prepared to eat them.

My read (and its just a guess, i don't actually know) is if the bass are that deep they're balled up for the winter anyway....which is probably why they're not in season in the winter (would be like shooting fish in a barrel if you can find them).

Edited by cram

There really no issue unless you keep the fish out of water for a long period. If you don't like fizzing fish you can take that lead strap off your marker buoy and make a small hook. I tie it to a baitcaster. Just hook it on the lip and start the fish down. Most often they are nice and just get towed to bottom.

I've fished areas for 2-3 hrs after towing one to bottom and never seen them again.

I believe one should never stick a needle in the swim bladder of the fish. Logically if you create a hole in the bladder how will the fish be able to use the bladder again? I suspect the original practice started from misinformed anglers who thought popping a hole to relieve the pressure would be good. Bottom line, if you are fishing deep and are practicing catch and release then just take your time bringing up the fish. Unless fish have regenerative powers that can instantly heal a hole in thier swim bladder, fizzing is not a good idea.

I believe one should never stick a needle in the swim bladder of the fish. Logically if you create a hole in the bladder how will the fish be able to use the bladder again? I suspect the original practice started from misinformed anglers who thought popping a hole to relieve the pressure would be good. Bottom line, if you are fishing deep and are practicing catch and release then just take your time bringing up the fish. Unless fish have regenerative powers that can instantly heal a hole in thier swim bladder, fizzing is not a good idea.

I fish erie tonns and believe me there is no bringing them up slowly, they rocket to the surface, as long as you release them right away 9 out of 10 times they will be o.k.Fizzing does work and i have caught fish that have been fizzed before to con firm this, fizzing is a way to insure a survival of tournament fish (usually) i practice it on a regular basis and feel strongly that it works, i'll try make a video demstrating how to do it!

This whole discussion is academic. I'll wager that in this community of almost 7,000 members, there's not more than a handful of people who can safely fizz a fish. The key is as Wayne (Irishfield) posted. If you're not planning on keeping fish for the table, don't fish the kill zone.

While I know fish don't feel pain, I'm certainly not gonna go fishing where I'm gonna need to pull a fish-paramedic to bring them back to life with needles and gadgets before taking a photo and releasing. Since I don't fish tournaments, I guess like most I'll never need to fizz a fish. Fillet knife's always in the tackle box for those fizzable fish. ;-)

Fish caught from deep water (generally greater than 18-20 feet) can suffer from over expansion of the swim bladder. Fish suffering from this condition cannot maintain a normal upright position. They cannot stay down in the livewell or recovery tank for long, and often float with their tails, heads or sides breaking the surface. A golf-ball-sized lump may appear on the side of the fish.

Inserting a 2-inch-long, 16-18-gauge hypodermic needle into the swim bladder can relieve the excess pressure. The needles can be obtained from farm and ranch or veterinary supply firms. Tournament officials are usually trained and proficient with this technique so they can perform the procedure on fish brought to weigh-in. However, air bladder relief is best done as soon as the fish shows signs of distress. This means that anglers should also become proficient and comfortable with the technique so that the procedure can be performed in the boat

If the bass appears bloated and can't upright itself, deflation may be required. To fizz the bass locate the swim bladder. The bladder is in line with the dorsal notch, below the lateral line and above the anal vent, approximately midway

. Slide the fizzing needle under a scale and at an upward angle. This will puncture the swim bladder.

Done correctly you will see air bubbles and/or hear a fizzing sound. When the bubbles subside, your fish is ready for release. To properly release, make several figure 8's. Hold the bass by the lip and below the surface. We don't recommend the push and pull method. Before using the fizzle needle again, rinse and check for clogs.

The location for needle insertion varies with fish size, but in general, draw an imaginary line between the notch in the dorsal fins . Draw another line from the tip of the pectoral fin to the fork in the tail.

Where these lines intersect, remove a scale or two and push the needle straight into the body cavity

Do not squeeze or press on the fish to force out more gas. When the bubbles stop, the fish should be able to right itself and swim normally. The larger the fish, the farther toward the head of the fish you need to insert the needle.

On fish over 5 pounds you may need to insert the needle within an inch of the tip of the pectoral fin

It is controversial for sure, but the fish wont survive with out deflation

Im pretty sure that at just less then 1 atmosphere the bladder can re inflate, and if the fish is caught, a picture taken and released within a very short period the fish will swim down and be fine for the most part, if you need to fizz the fish was out of the water/depth too long anyhow

Edited by aniceguy

I will keep releasing fish caught in the kill zone because the kill zone starts at 6 feet for some species and in many bodies of water I am not eating the fish especially with a young child and a wife sitting across the table that should not eat that fish.

I will not fizz fish unless I KNOW how to do it. Since it is something that gets screwed up a lot that means I could only know by practice practice practice or personal instruction.

How do the pros learn?

Found this video, excellent to learn how to do it. The video did not mention how long of a needle. Hope a needle will not go almost right through the other side!

http://www.bassresource.com/bass-fishing-videos/how-to-fizz-a-bass.html.

I read one time that Walleye had bladder issue when caught past 25 feet of water at Bay of Quinte.

There are many reports of Bass being caught deep often, but have not heard of anyone having to fizz any of them.

Edited by bassfighter

I've done this with lake trout in the summer with great results. I don't have a picture of the setup but it sounds the same. A friend of mine has a dedicated baitcaster with a old broken rod and a 4oz weight on the line. Works like a charm. The fish sound down with the force of the weight. Onece at depth stop the weight and the fish swims away and in the right temperature.

I think MNR did a study on releasing walleye from 20-30 feet and found that 70-90% of fish survived without fizzing. On the subject of fizzing http://www.carleton.ca/fecpl/pdfs/FR-Nguyen%20et%20al%202009.pdf The post-release behaviour and fate of tournament-caught smallmouth bass after ‘fizzing’ to alleviate distended swim bladders.

There really no issue unless you keep the fish out of water for a long period. If you don't like fizzing fish you can take that lead strap off your marker buoy and make a small hook. I tie it to a baitcaster. Just hook it on the lip and start the fish down. Most often they are nice and just get towed to bottom.

I've fished areas for 2-3 hrs after towing one to bottom and never seen them again.

Interesting discussion.

I've watched a couple videos and watched the MNR fish bass after tournies...seems easy enough.

However, I've fished whitefish in 100 fow and bass in north of 40, caught and released them...and only very, VERY rarely have I noticed one floating or unable to get back down easily...no bass, and a few whitefish (which we re-netted and kept).

In the fall on Simcoe there'll be over a dozen boats in an area the size of 4 football fields...all catching fish...I'm yet to see one floatiing, and we're in 25-50 fow.

What gives? Are they making it down only to rise and die in the night when we're all gone?

Interesting discussion...I just wonder if I'm missing something...?

While I know fish don't feel pain, I'm certainly not gonna go fishing where I'm gonna need to pull a fish-paramedic to bring them back to life with needles and gadgets before taking a photo and releasing. Since I don't fish tournaments, I guess like most I'll never need to fizz a fish. Fillet knife's always in the tackle box for those fizzable fish. ;-)

I think fish feel pain. Just because they don't exhibit the symptons doesn't mean they aren't feeling pain. If you've ever had a toothache, arthritis, back pain, etc. there will be times when you are under pain, but, don't show it to the casual observer. Until they can start communicating with fish I find it unlikely that most animals (including fish) don't have some sense of pain.

Comfort and discomfort are partly emotional responses, fish have no sense of emotion therefore if they feel pain it's merely it's most basic form.. a warning signal from the body to the brain that something is wrong. They do not feel the same discomfort accompanied with human pain. That's what I mean.