Restricted Operators Certificate

lew

I went into Peterboro yesterday morning and took the one day course put on by the Peterboro Power Squadron and then wrote the exam for my certificate to operate my VHF marine radio on the boat.

I installed the radio and antenna back in the spring but this was my 1st opportunity to take the course. It's somewhat expensive at $85 and you have to give up a whole Saturday but at least now I can legally use my radio without looking over my shoulder to see whose watching me. :lol:

I fish some big waters and it'll be nice to know I can now call for help if needed when the cell doesn't work, or help out another boater who needs it.

Cnv0610.jpg

Edited by lew

Morning Lew. Good on ya for getting that done. It's no fun crossing out a whole day to do it but it's necessary. Out of curiosity, is the DSC compliance included in these certificates or is it an add-on.?

I wanted to do it two years in a row down here but there was not enough interest in it so they canceled it each time since then I gave up heck I got sick of the Bull on the radio down here I took it out last season to many goofs playing beer bottle openers on it and acting a fool for my liking on the radio.

Yes Roy, the DSC is included.

Mike, I also had to wait awhile for the course. There was one in July but I was up on Nippissing at the time. Even this one only had 8 guys taking it.

I took the course in Clinton this past summer. I went to Lake St. Clair for the first time this summer and thought it would be a good idea to have a radio of some kind. I didn't get a stationary radio yet, just a handheld for now. Quite frankly, I seldom have it on, I use it more for the weather than anything else. I did find the course interesting. The radio is a wonderful tool if used properly.

Lew, i think you are looking at it the wrong way.

If you ever need help, or rescue anyone because of the radio, will you still say it was a waste of your time or money?

No need for you to answer that Lew, most every body on this board know you wouldn't even think twice about helping out anyone who needed it.

:thumbsup_anim::thumbsup_anim::thumbsup_anim:

will you still say it was a waste of your time or money?

I never said it was a waste of money, infact I was quite happy to pay for it. Jeeeeez, I've got musky baits worth more than $85 :lol:

Nothing is expensive if it keeps ya safer :thumbsup_anim:

Lew, i think you are looking at it the wrong way.

If you ever need help, or rescue anyone because of the radio, will you still say it was a waste of your time or money?

did Lew say that

I was thinking of getting mine too

LOL...Lew beat me to it, guess hes a faster at typing then me

Edited by Terry

Don't apologize skeeter, I blame alot of stuff on MY glasses too :lol::lol:

Never thought of that... it was always the dog who caught the blame.

I have had my certificate since the late 80's. Only really needed it once but sure glad I had the radio and the knowledge of how to use it properly at the time. Most of the time it was just used to communicate with other boats during the hay days of the salmon derby.

Tom.

I find it funny we are asked to pay a fee for something that might save our life or others.

Dont get me wrong here Lew,good on ya,but come on. Boater sees another in trouble and couldnt afford to take the course to call MAYDAY,MAYDAY. :oops:

IMO it should be a given to all "NO CHARGE" just take the course for FREE.

Down here in the USA you do not need a license for a VHF radio if you are a recreational boat less than 65 ft. We reserve channel 16 for hailing and for maydays only and are severely chastised if you use it for anything else. If you have the radio on it is to be tuned to channel 16 unless you are in conversation with another party. We use channel 68 mostly here for the fishing reports when our group is on the water and for the most part common sense seems to be the rule of the day. I would say though licensed or not if you need to call for help the last thing you will care about is whether or not you will get a ticket for making the call. For the price of the radio it is a great comfort to have it on board if and when you need it.

Art

I find it funny we are asked to pay a fee for something that might save our life or others.

Dont get me wrong here Lew,good on ya,but come on. Boater sees another in trouble and couldnt afford to take the course to call MAYDAY,MAYDAY. :oops:

IMO it should be a given to all "NO CHARGE" just take the course for FREE.

I agree with you 100 % Brian but sadly, I don't make the rules and your right, it does seem odd that you have to pay $$$$ in order to help others.

I know lotsa fellers use them that aren't certified but I figured I'd rather pay the fee and just be done with it then there's nuthin to be worried about whenever I'm stopped by the coppers.

Funny thing is, I used radio's everyday for 30 odd years when I was working and never needed a license for them. Basically the same thing cept your talking about different stuff :dunno:

I agree with you 100 % Brian but sadly, I don't make the rules and your right, it does seem odd that you have to pay $$$$ in order to help others.

I know lotsa fellers use them that aren't certified but I figured I'd rather pay the fee and just be done with it then there's nuthin to be worried about whenever I'm stopped by the coppers.

Funny thing is, I used radio's everyday for 30 odd years when I was working and never needed a license for them. Basically the same thing cept your talking about different stuff :dunno:

years back when i was chartering, we needed a station licence at 36 dollars yearly. the vhf course was free at the time. vhf in the right hands is a very valuable tool on big waters.. there are abuses ob st clair. one guy feels he has his as a chat line. i once asked him if he had 2 radios,,,so he could hear himself talk.

Edited by outlaw

I'd rather hear PanPan than Mayday mayday any day of the week. Good for you Lew!! I think that when I grow up and get a bigger boat, I will have a radio mounted in it. For the time being, with the places I boat and fish, there is always cell coverage and my handheld marine radio is sufficient.