Truck Talk

MCTFisher9120

10 year old truck with 190K on it, just change the oil and throw in a $5000.00 stereo.

Seriously don`t spend anything on it other than stuff you need to keep it on the road and yourself and others safe.

I thought all you young guys were all into those 20 year old Honda Civics! :sarcasm:

Some of us are more mature ;)

Don't bother with the performance upgrades, 95% of them are a waste of time and money. Now spending money on things like good fluids for the diffs, a tranny filter/flush, etc is a good idea. With that amount of miles on it, it's all about maintenance...

After the truck is "Safe & Sound"

Best performance "Bang for the Buck" is a

#1 Chip "Edge Tuner" 400.00 $ (more horses = fuel economy)

#2 Jet Throttle Body Spacer( better fuel economy)125.00 $

#3 K&N Cold Air Intake 250.00 $(more air more power better economy)

#4 Magnaflow Cat Back Exhaust 550.00 $ (what comes in must come out)

#5 Royal Purple Synthetic Fluids all 'round 250.00 $(less friction & heat)

I have all of these on my 2000 Expedition 5.4 and wouldn't take any of them off.

They have long since paid for themselves in fuel economy.

Randy

:canadian:

Ha!

Randy, you were selling parts for WAAAAAYYYY too long. :lol:

My advise is like others. Save your money for repairs (you will have some), body work and your next truck.

Take this advise from a guy that has been there.

Accessories do not give you much, if any, value.

If more power is necessary, get a 5.4 liter in your next truck. But I bet you will find yours will have enough already to pull whatever you do.

do the tie rod ends they dont seem to last in these trucks. i have a 98 in the same colour. if the box sides are going you can pick up the whole side for about 600 bucks saves a lot of messing around they arent that hard to change if you know some one with a welder

It had a cap on it before, where did the cap go? A cap is better then a cover (been there and done that, had both) as you can use it as a tent too. You can still do so with a cover but if you don't like small area's then forget it.

As for a cab or mat thing I don't really want either.....if I wanted a closed back I would of bought a van. Going to have my little boat sticking out of it most of the time and will be in and out with camping gear. A mat cover would be what i would put on in the winter to keep the snow from putting too much weight into it

Edited by MikeTheBassFisher

Get the damned thing to pass a "SAFETY" and "E Test", then get ownership changed and your golden.

...bet "Uncle" was glad you came along.

I've given better vehicles away.

Sorry, you may not wanted to have heard what I have yo say.

...a tad harsh...no? :blahblah1: Give the guy a break...don't you remember your first set of wheels? :asshat: Good Luck with the project Mike! Get it on the road and tweak her as you go along! Enjoy it and the freedom to explore that it brings you!

Yah, maybe a little harsh.

Sorry for that, but someone had to say it.

If I bought it and couldn't get it on the road in less than a month, I always figured I couldn't afford it.

Good luck with the truck, just get the priorities in order.

Get it on the road first, then mod's can follow.

As far as giving better vehicles away, I've done so and they weren't related.

Edited by nofish4me

get the safety done mike, if the air bags went off it a little more than just replacing two air bags, most likely seat belt retractors maybe a sensor could be a bit of$$$$ i won't pass a safety on a car with the air bag light on.

triton engine are decent but like there fuel, hope who ever had it first did some maintenance on it, you won't like removing the cylnder heads to do a tune up.

I wouldn't worry about performance right now, save your cash for fishin stuff if you need to go fast get a mustang

Yah, maybe a little harsh.

Sorry for that, but someone had to say it.

If I bought it and couldn't get it on the road in less than a month, I always figured I couldn't afford it.

Good luck with the truck, just get the priorities in order.

Get it on the road first, then mod's can follow.

As far as giving better vehicles away, I've done so and they weren't related.

He hit that pole and killed the bumper so he parked it for a month...a good deal came his way on a new 2008 Ford 250 so he bought that and asked me if I wanted his old truck...at a low low price. It runs fine, he paid for the entire new front end too. If I could afford insurance and gas I would be driving it in a few months most likely...but I dont...So while it sits why not bring it back to life, make it more powerful, fuel efficient and purdy on the outside....1 little part at a time...If you started it up and took it for a test run then you would see it runs great. I am getting the underside sprayed this weekend and I believe he is getting the ownership in my name. We are having the E test and safety done next weekend on it...also got to put in the brand new air bags we got from the dealership yesterday

Good news it this winter it won't be on the road with all that salt and snow but stored in a garage...

In all honesty...I don't care for your opinion...I suggest you provide insight and answer the question or sit at your desk with your fingers off the key board.

;)

Edited by MikeTheBassFisher

He hit that pole and killed the bumper so he parked it for a month...a good deal came his way on a new 2008 Ford 250 so he bought that and asked me if I wanted his old truck...at a low low price. It runs fine, he paid for the entire new front end too. If I could afford insurance and gas I would be driving it in a few months most likely...but I dont...So while it sits why not bring it back to life, make it more powerful, fuel efficient and purdy on the outside....1 little part at a time...If you started it up and took it for a test run then you would see it runs great. I am getting the underside sprayed this weekend and I believe he is getting the ownership in my name. We are having the E test and safety done next weekend on it...also got to put in the brand new air bags we got from the dealership yesterday

Good news it this winter it won't be on the road with all that salt and snow but stored in a garage...

In all honesty...I don't care for your opinion...I suggest you provide insight and answer the question or sit at your desk with your fingers off the key board.

wink.gif

NEVER RUB ANOTHER MANS RHUBARB EH?rofl2.gifrofl2.gif

i agree with all of your plans except 1. I think its a powerful enough motor for anyone. The Triton series of motors are some of the most powerful gasoline motors out there. Tune it up, make it sound purdy, don't try to increase power, do the bodywork over the winter. And definately make it a nice extension of your persona.

IMNOwink.gif

NEVER RUB ANOTHER MANS RHUBARB EH?rofl2.gifrofl2.gif

i agree with all of your plans except 1. I think its a powerful enough motor for anyone. The Triton series of motors are some of the most powerful gasoline motors out there. Tune it up, make it sound purdy, don't try to increase power, do the bodywork over the winter. And definately make it a nice extension of your persona.

IMNOwink.gif

Ya man, that's what I'm saying...I want to do all the little things to make that motor run better and cleaner...filters,plugs...etc...etc You said it.

i won't pass a safety on a car with the air bag light on.

I agree with you 100% that we shouldn’t be allowed to certify a vehicle with an air bag light on or know that the air bag system has been deployed or disabled.

Believe me I checked into this; when a customer that had purchased a vehicle with air bags that were deployed; I said it shouldn’t have been certified; boy did I end up with egg on my face.

The Ministry was called in to check the vehicle and they quoted me this section of the regs.

Schedule 1;

The body work subsection (L)

- if fitted with a seat belt assembly or assemblies, each belt anchorage shall be secure, each buckle and retractor shall operate as intended, and no belt webbing shall be visibly damaged so as to reduce its effectiveness.

There’s absolutely no mention in the safety regulations regarding the air bag system. Right or wrong; until the regulations are up dated, we cannot (or not supposed too) fail a vehicle for an air bag issue.

We won’t even begin talking about ABS systems; because they also fall through the cracks and are not part of a safety inspection.

Dan.

I just traded my 2003 Grand am GT for a 99 Sierra with 238K on it !

step one... tune up. oil change, plugs, air filter etc.

step two.... drive it for a few months to make sure its good to go...

step three... replace whatever breaks, if anything

step four.....drive it for a long time and get your money out of it !

Step five... sell it in 2-3 years.... buy a Chevy !

I contemplated on installing a sounds system, cold air, exhaust... but when it all boils down to it... why invest more money into a truck that already has 240000 kms on it... I dont plan on owning this thing for a bunch of year... it was just my first truck that i bought ! I think you can see by what everyone has already said... drive it, spend your money of fishing gear... and besure to save some for un expected repairs.

DO NOT GET A TRANSMISSION FLUSH !!!! I know a few people that have down the "flush" as opposed to the "fluid change" and blew up trannys in a matter of a couple thousand kms after the job !!!

If you get the tranny oil changed... it will keep some of the old oil in and its not so hard on the transmission!

http://www.truckforums.com/forum/....the "OFC" of the truck world !!! Use it !

OH ya, body work..... if you can live with it... dont bother ! hahah its an old truck... it adds charater ! haha

one more thing.... an exhaust and cold air kit will only improve HIGHWAY fuel milage... so for highway driving they are GOOD at best... not worth the $$ to me... exhaust... $600( conservative estimate, most likley will be more ) CAI... $300..figure even $800 for both... hmmm, I can buy a couple new rods and reels.... or lots of tackle... orrr.... a pretty hefty down payment on a 9.9 engine ?????? something to think about I guess

Edited by Lunker777

As you know the history of it, just carry on the scheduled maintenance on it where the previous owner left off. Changing the oil, plugs and filters 'just cuz' is a waste of cash and won't affect the running unless there's a problem - by all means whip the plugs out and check them, it'll give you a good idea of how it's running but I'd be saving for the day something breaks and you get a big bill (it's 12 years old after all)

I agree with you 100% that we shouldn’t be allowed to certify a vehicle with an air bag light on or know that the air bag system has been deployed or disabled.

Believe me I checked into this; when a customer that had purchased a vehicle with air bags that were deployed; I said it shouldn’t have been certified; boy did I end up with egg on my face.

The Ministry was called in to check the vehicle and they quoted me this section of the regs.

Schedule 1;

The body work subsection (L)

- if fitted with a seat belt assembly or assemblies, each belt anchorage shall be secure, each buckle and retractor shall operate as intended, and no belt webbing shall be visibly damaged so as to reduce its effectiveness.

There’s absolutely no mention in the safety regulations regarding the air bag system. Right or wrong; until the regulations are up dated, we cannot (or not supposed too) fail a vehicle for an air bag issue.

We won’t even begin talking about ABS systems; because they also fall through the cracks and are not part of a safety inspection.

Dan.

Dan as usual it's up to how you read it, if the air bag deployed we know thw seat belt retractors also used up, hence they won't operate as intended. the customer might get po'ed at me but it's my license. when or if the car became involved in an accident we both know that same customer would be at our door with the lawsuit

I just traded my 2003 Grand am GT for a 99 Sierra with 238K on it !

step one... tune up. oil change, plugs, air filter etc.

step two.... drive it for a few months to make sure its good to go...

step three... replace whatever breaks, if anything

step four.....drive it for a long time and get your money out of it !

Step five... sell it in 2-3 years.... buy a Chevy !

I contemplated on installing a sounds system, cold air, exhaust... but when it all boils down to it... why invest more money into a truck that already has 240000 kms on it... I dont plan on owning this thing for a bunch of year... it was just my first truck that i bought ! I think you can see by what everyone has already said... drive it, spend your money of fishing gear... and besure to save some for un expected repairs.

DO NOT GET A TRANSMISSION FLUSH !!!! I know a few people that have down the "flush" as opposed to the "fluid change" and blew up trannys in a matter of a couple thousand kms after the job !!!

If you get the tranny oil changed... it will keep some of the old oil in and its not so hard on the transmission!

http://www.truckforums.com/forum/....the "OFC" of the truck world !!! Use it !

OH ya, body work..... if you can live with it... dont bother ! hahah its an old truck... it adds charater ! haha

one more thing.... an exhaust and cold air kit will only improve HIGHWAY fuel milage... so for highway driving they are GOOD at best... not worth the $$ to me... exhaust... $600( conservative estimate, most likley will be more ) CAI... $300..figure even $800 for both... hmmm, I can buy a couple new rods and reels.... or lots of tackle... orrr.... a pretty hefty down payment on a 9.9 engine ?????? something to think about I guess

I can agree with everything EXCEPT #5....Step five... sell it in 2-3 years.... buy a Chevy ! Make that a Toyota TUNDRA and you will have one sweet ride my friend... :clapping: