A question about wheelchair boaters

The JAY

Okay, a buddy has an 18' Doral bowrider, and we're trying to figure out how to get his dad, who is in a powerchair, into the boat. None of the local marinas had much in the way of help. We don't really want to build a crane, but does anyone know of a simple rig we can build or buy that may help? The sticking point is getting him from the dock to the boat. We're at a bit of a loss, and hopefully someone on here has seen a good idea that we can use. Thanks!

is a portable engine hoist a possiblilty - you can lift a person with a couple of people its the chair that would be difficult. just an idea they have a pretty high capacity, extend pretty far, and are on wheels. its almost the same thing i would build to do the job.

Okay, a buddy has an 18' Doral bowrider, and we're trying to figure out how to get his dad, who is in a powerchair, into the boat. None of the local marinas had much in the way of help. We don't really want to build a crane, but does anyone know of a simple rig we can build or buy that may help? The sticking point is getting him from the dock to the boat. We're at a bit of a loss, and hopefully someone on here has seen a good idea that we can use. Thanks!

I have a buddy who loves to fish but unfortunately is wheelchair bound. We used to just give him a lift into the boat and onto a chair with a seatbelt attached. I don't know how he felt about being man handled by a manly man like me, but at least the fishing was good... actually, we helped him into the boat before we put it into the water. ie: while it was still on the trailer attached to the vehicle. This avoided any miss-haps between the dock, the boat and the drink.

We would leave the wheelchair on shore (in the van) for use later.

proably easier to transfer him to another chair dockside, put the power chair in the boat, then the 2 of you lift him into the boat and place him in chair.If you tie the side of the boat tightly to the dock, you shouldnt get too much movement. My daughter is a nurse and there are ways of locking your arms in place so you can form a cradle and easily lift very heavy things. Just a thought.

proably easier to transfer him to another chair dockside, put the power chair in the boat, then the 2 of you lift him into the boat and place him in chair.If you tie the side of the boat tightly to the dock, you shouldnt get too much movement. My daughter is a nurse and there are ways of locking your arms in place so you can form a cradle and easily lift very heavy things. Just a thought.

You're on the right track Merc.

I regularly transfer my "clients" from a chair into the boat using this very method..or also a "Pivot Transfer"

The JAY... I wish I were nearby to help you out or show you how.

It's done much easier when the boat is on the trailer just before launching.(depending on the location).

I'll try to explain.

#1 transfer from W/C to regular chair.

#2 place W/C in boat

#3 transfer person from chair to seated position on dock legs dangling in the boat

#4 transfer person from dockside onto W/C.

this method works GREAT with two people.

Exact opposite for re entering the chair... slightly more strenuous.

this video might help..or give you an Idea about how to do it.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6EPsZf-XbI?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param'>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6EPsZf-XbI?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6EPsZf-XbI?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Randy

:canadian:

Cool folks, the pointers are appreciated. I kinda figured the lift was the best/only way to go. I guess until we actually get down to the dock and see what we're in for, we just won't know. There apparently is a wheelchair lift at one of the local marinas, but they will not allow anyone to use it without proper safety training, which they won't help with, etc... Sounds like they just couldn't be bothered...:dunno: I dunno. One way or another, he'll get out fishing. Thanks again!

when my mother in law lived with us, we needed a personal body lift to transfer her from the bed to her chair. She had ALS ( Lou Gehrig's disease)

I just don't know if the cable would be long enough to lower your friends dad down in to the boat all the way. But I am pretty sure it will lift him over the edge to a couple of guys waiting to transfer him to his seat then.

Here is a link to see a picture of what I am referring to>>

http://www.firsttoserve.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1201&Itemid=5768

Hope this helps.

My brother is wheelchair bound and when I was younger I put the chair in the boat and launched then docked it. I then went and carried him from the truck to the boat and into the chair.Now that I'm older I wheel him to the dock , tilt him back in the chair and lower him into the boat usually theres another person there and they get in the boat grab the foot pedals and we set him down in.