Weird noise on my truck.. NF

Gerritt

as most know I drive a Ford pickup. this truck has been flawless in the 7 years I have owned her.. She is 8 years old.

and the brakes were done last year or so..

I noticed a sound lately I have never heard before..

it is a loud tick tick tick, when I accelerate from a stopped position.. to my ears it seems to be coming from the rear..

it is loud and pronounced.. but seems to dissipate after I get to 10-15k or so..

any thoughts?

G

Rock in tire tread....

first thing I checked Wayne... this has been going on for more then two weeks... no screws, nails or rocks...

I was thinking something with the braking system or possibly bearings...?? but I am no mechanic..

G

My first guess would be a cracked brake drum,the longer you drive it the hotter it gets and the smaller the crack gets thus less noise.Chased this on an old truck I had for months before I found the cause.

vance

Didn't even think of it 'till dan said that.

2 years ago when Terry and I left Fort Erie after fishing Muskie.. I had a tick.. thought it was a collapsed lifter as it would go away after awhile.

My right side exhaust manifold was cracked right in the center... once it heated up and expanded it would stop ticking!

Look thru your right wheel well Gerritt and see if your exhaust manifold is cracked. Check the other side toooo.

Your F150 has the same triton as mine (2003)..

Edited by irishfield

Didn't even think of it 'till dan said that.

2 years ago when Terry and I left Fort Erie after fishing Muskie.. I had a tick.. thought it was a collapsed lifter as it would go away after awhile.

My right side exhaust manifold was cracked right in the center... once it heated up and expanded it would stop ticking!

Look thru your right wheel well Gerritt and see if your exhaust manifold is cracked. Check the other side toooo.

Your F150 has the same triton as mine (2003)..

Didnt both sides have cracks Wayne?

G, also check the manifold bolts.Mine corroded to nothing and did this aswell.

I was having fun in my first post.I should know better.......... :sarcasm:

Just the right side Brian... left side is still original at 124,000k. Other one went at about 90k and there was nothing left of the attach bolts. They all had to be drilled and ez outed.

My left one went first at 120k then the right at 134k.And yea,they had to be drilled and eze outted aswell.

I have a 2000 f-150. Started as a tic on the left side. Got it fixed and,no more tic 600.00 gone. Two weeks ago started as a tic again, pulling the bassboat out of the water and the tic is now sounding like a tank. Under closer inspection the right side is pooched and needs to be replaced. But not till i;m done hauling my firewood. It sounds pretty cool tho haha

LOL... you know it's the only issue I've had with my 2003. One cracked exhaust manifold. I can't even come up with a good reason to trade it in on a new anything.

And I'm not easy on mine.. here's what we were doing to it Monday.

peggy7.jpg

peggy5.jpg

peggy3.jpg

Edited by irishfield

Had a lot of noise from the right front on my 1965 Ford.Quieted right down when I kicked her out of the truck,worked for me..maybe not for you.

Joe

:D Reminds me of the story of the guy who gets pulled over by the police and the police tells him " Do you realise that your wife fell outta the truck a few miles back?" To which he replies " Oh, thank God, I thought I was going deaf!"