Weird noise on my truck.. NF

Gerritt

Pair of stainless shorty headers of E-bay for under $300 Stock exhaust will fit but you have to screw with the flange on the pipe, headers are bigger. Better still Couple of Cherry bombs and your good to go.

Climb under it after driving it and check the universals, the caps will be hot if they're starting to go.

Brake adjuster cable falls apart and gets ground up on old F250 fords, take it apart and throw them away. Parking brake cables stick and drag the brakes, throw them away too.

Didn't even think of it 'till dan said that.

2 years ago when Terry and I left Fort Erie after fishing Muskie.. I had a tick.. thought it was a collapsed lifter as it would go away after awhile.

My right side exhaust manifold was cracked right in the center... once it heated up and expanded it would stop ticking!

Look thru your right wheel well Gerritt and see if your exhaust manifold is cracked. Check the other side toooo.

Your F150 has the same triton as mine (2003)..

You beat me. manifold was the first thing that occurred to me. As for where the sound seems to be coming from I've decided that if it sounds like a rear end noise, then it's for sure from the front, and if it sounds left, it's for sure right. :dunno:

JF

wow you guys are funny today! Don't think I would suit the pink gloves as much as Joe did however :P

Anyways I have taken it to a buddy that is a backyard mechanic but really knows his stuff. He believes it is a U-Joint that is the culprit, based on the sound alone and the vibration of the truck at highway speeds..

We did not see a crack in the manifold..

it is funny.. if I pull away from a stopped position slowly.. I do not hear the noise.. but if I give it a little gas the it is! tick tick tick.. and it is VERY noticeable.

John, you are correct.. it sounds like the rear.. but it is in the front... had this same issue with brake squel last year.. I swore it was the rear.. but alas it was indeed the front.

from what I have been told U-Joints are a PIA on Ford trucks.. the part is cheap.. labour not so..

G

He believes it is a U-Joint that is the culprit, based on the sound alone and the vibration of the truck at highway speeds..

...from what I have been told U-Joints are a PIA on Ford trucks.. the part is cheap.. labour not so..

G

U-joints aren't tough to change Gerritt, hell even you might be able to do it...... whistling.gif

A squeeking is usually a u joint but in my experiance a ticking is usually a cylinder missing (bad plug)

The ticking in the engine

usually a bad plug or cracked head in #3 or #7 cyl!

Ive seen happen on fords 4.6 ltr plenty of times. Right bank 3rd cyl, head crack. Starting at the spark plug hole!

The crack will have a circular pattern!Some times blowing the plug out.

I think gerrit has a u joint or slip yoke issue.Thats if his rear end is shacking!