Thanksgiving Weekend At The Camp

solopaddler

This past week I took the opportunity to spend some time with my newly minted 4 year old at the camp in QC.

It was primarily a work weekend, but my boy is old enough now that he'd have pitched a fit if I left without him.

On tap were new shingles, drip edge and fascia, and lattice around the front deck.

A lot of work for really only 2 days LOL!

Fortunately my dad arrived earlier in the week and managed to prep everything by stripping off the old shingles.

I arrived Thursday morning with my lad and immediately went to work.

Brendans biggest joy up there is helping to drive the boat.

CottageClosingOct2010002.jpg

What is it with lttle boys and things that go fast? LOL!

I was hesitant to bring him with all the work but he turned out to be great. Not a single complaint and perfectly happy to help his dad and opa.

It was a marathon but we did it. Normally I'm a picture taking fiend but not this time, with only a handful of pic's.

You can kind of see the new green shingles in these long range shots. :)

The new lattice which obviously had to be framed in is a bit more noticeable.

CottageClosingOct2010013.jpg

CottageClosingOct2010005.jpg

With the bulk of the work done we finally had time to fish.

As per usual on my lake in Oct the walleye are deep. I found them anywhere from 40-50'.

Normally I fish a large clay flat in the top end of my lake but it was too windy to fish comfortably.

In my bay there's a shoreline that breaks swiftly into 50 plus feet of water, almost like a wall.

I marked clouds of shiners followed by the larger telltale hooks beneath.

I believe the walleye were herding these baitfish against the steep wall and picking them off.

Tried trolling in a variety of different ways including tiny stickbaits behind 3oz bottom bouncers but it didn't work.

Ultimately a 1oz ig head, stinger hook and 4" gulp minnow put oodles of eater sized walleye in the boat.

Brendan even caught 3 completely 100% on his own with no help from dad. Even better it was his first time using a spinning reel and he handled it like a pro. Of course it helped he didn't have to cast...just open the bail and close it when it touched bottom. But still, I was a pretty proud poppa. :)

Most all of the fish dredged from these depths are goners with either bulging eyes or air bladders.

It's a pattern I only use when I'm keeping fish.

CottageClosingOct2010010.jpg

Caught a pile of small hammerhandles as well. Only reason I'm showing these pic's is my boy snapped the shots. Not perfect, but not too bad either.

Solo junior in training. :D

CottageClosingOct2010009.jpg

CottageClosingOct2010007.jpg

Sunday afternoon we disonnected the water pipes, winterized them, took out the dock and closed 'er up for another year.

Goodbye cottage and lake see you in the spring. :)

CottageClosingOct2010012.jpg

CottageClosingOct2010003.jpg

Now it's time to devote myself fully to steelhead. It's actually already been a fantastic September, in fact maybe the best one in years.

October can only be better, starting tomorrow for me.

Truck's packed and I'm leaving straight from work.

Life is great. :)

It must be very hard for you to boat away knowing that you won't see it again for six months. I can almost feel your pain just looking at your pictures. That is a sweet setup. Good on ya for taking up your lad. It was the best thing for both of you(and your Dad).

It must be very hard for you to boat away knowing that you won't see it again for six months. I can almost feel your pain just looking at your pictures. That is a sweet setup. Good on ya for taking up your lad. It was the best thing for both of you(and your Dad).

You finally gonna make it up next year?

(I have a gazebo to build y'know :lol: )

You finally gonna make it up next year?

(I have a gazebo to build y'know :lol: )

I sure hope so. It all depends on what work I get myself into.

Count me in too, if you want. Three guys should be able to get 'er done in a weekend.

WHOA!!! Flash from the past Mike.

Strangely I think this is the only cottage report I can remember this summer...??? You've been a busy dood this past season... fishing and on the home front.

Nope I posted a couple of family trip reports as usual.

Check your emails bud.

Guest Johnny Bass

Very nice. Your son is going to love that cottage for years to come! That walleye looks freaky! It must have seen a musky following! That's what I recall happened when I seen my first GB Musky!