Any one speak finnish?

Daplumma

yaaah, vee up 'ere fish for dem "peckle rout" lots, and in da fall, vee unt vith da 2 pipe "sotguns". Ven ve go ice fishing, and catch a "haukki", vee cut da ead off, and play pike head 'ockey, vee call it "haukki night in canada" EH!

OK, I am only 1/4 part finn(G-maw on my dad's side was Finnish), lol and only know a couple of swear words mostly.

yaaah, vee up 'ere fish for dem "peckle rout" lots, and in da fall, vee unt vith da 2 pipe "sotguns". Ven ve go ice fishing, and catch a "haukki", vee cut da ead off, and play pike head 'ockey, vee call it "haukki night in canada" EH!

OK, I am only 1/4 part finn(G-maw on my dad's side was Finnish), lol and only know a couple of swear words mostly.

My maiden name is LUOMA, and my father was Finnish but my parents were divorced so I never learned the language. It's embarrasing walking into a community place around here when someone walks up and starts talking Finn. I really LOOK like one. Sigh! :(

Pam

Pam...I know your pain...LOL. I am obviously Asian...of Japanese decent to be exact. I get people coming up to me speaking Chinese, Japanese, Korean etc.... I just look at them and ask if they speak English. You see.....I'm 4th generation Canadian...my family first immigrated here in the late 1800's. The language was lost a few generations ago. My friends joke that I am more Canadian than they are, because most of their parents immigrated to Canada from Europe in the 60's. My mother speaks Japanese, but she learned out of interest...went to school to learn it. The style she learned was "proper" and not "conversational". Much like how we learned French. So when true Japanese people speak to her, she has a hard time understanding them.

As DanC said alot of "Finns" in Thunder Bay. While growing up there, I had a Finnish history teacher. I'm of Italian descent and I guess he was dying to try his new joke out on me....What's the first thing they teach the Italian army? he says..."I don't know, what" I answer....he then raises his hands in the air as if to surrender. Ya, ya, har, har....So I fired one back at him....."Mr V. I said, "Whats the closest thing to a fishes bum hole?" He shrugs his shoulders and that's when i hit him...."A Fin!" I spent the rest of his class in the cafeteria.