Broken Skeg Repair - Repaired Today!!

alexmedic

Well I decided to go the Skeg Guard route and it arrived in the mail today.

Installation was very simple and all together it took et 15 minutes to do so.

Here is a picture..

IMG_1812.jpg

The only additional thing I did was drill an additional hole right in the middle. The last hole (Closest to the prop) was running through the existing break. It was only about a 1/4 of the hole, but I did not want to risk it.

On the water it was great. I did not notice any difference at all.

So for $120.00, I am a happy man!

I just pulled a bone head after a sweet day of perch'n and broke my skeg in/on the driveway!! :wallbash:

It's a clean break and the bottom half is still in great shape.

[IMG_1802.jpg

Can anyone recommend a place to have this fixed in the Barrie area?

I have been also looking at the skegshields/skeggards. Does any one know if they are any good and would it work with my break?

Edited by Ten90

I just pulled a bone head after a sweet day of perch'n and broke my skeg in/on the driveway!! :wallbash:

It's a clean break and the bottom half is still in great shape.

[IMG_1802.jpg

Can anyone recommend a place to have this fixed in the Barrie area?

I have been also looking at the skegshields/skeggards. Does any one know if they are any good and would it work with my break?

Call doug at simcoe prop 25223 Valleyview, Baldwin, ON 905-722-7767. He is at pefferlaw area. There is a possibility that you need to take the lower unit down first. You can get a quote just by sending a picture through email.

Isint that skeg casted aluminum? How does that get welded? I always that cast aluminum wasnt tigable? Am I missing somthing?

Mine almost ended up that way!A little elbow grease and know how!whistling.gif Solid as a rock for now!

Edited by vinnimon

Cast aluminum will TIG nicely it is Pot metal that does not weld.

I would go for getting it welded back together the shoes that I have seen all require you to drill holes into the remaining skeg to fasten it in place causing a weak spot and the shoe is thicker so more cavitation is possible. Check with auto repair shops in the area to see if they can repair it. They are slow now and will give you a better price on the work than any Marine shop will.

Art