My weekend

thatleetboy

Well, as you may recall, I'm really, really new to fishing, and get really, really excited by everything.

Just have to share my pics from Sunday!

We drove up to Bancroft VERY early on Sunday morning, stopped by the Apsley baitstore (what time do they get up?!?)

launched the boat, and headed out in a light drizzle.

kit.jpg

My truly generous BiL surprised me with this little box of goodies as an early birthday present...

(since I really have nothing else, I was tickled pink to get it!)

We caught a few pike, several smallmouth bass, but the real catch of the day was this yellow walleye!

I was *so* excited to land this six-and-a-half pound beauty...

walleye.jpg

So, I finally got some more badly needed practice in cleaning fish. I've got a good teacher, so I'm getting the hang of it.

We got a fire going, and Rudy cooked us up a nice shore lunch to go along with a few homemade IPA's. A nice night.

sl1.jpg

sl2.jpg

It rained Sunday night, and we didn't catch anything worth keeping Monday morning.

Still, I had a great couple of days, I'm a happy camper!

Cheers

that is a wonderful fish! Very bright colors. Did you catch it with any of your new tackle?

Yes actually, yellow grub on a jig.

My BiL said he had never seen a walleye so yellow... maybe that comes with age.

I was nervous enough landing it, and he kept screaming "OMG it's a monster!"

Lots of fun

Cheers

Beauty 'eye you nailed there, I'm guess you must have been in the east part of the lake.

I have fished Baptiste 6-7 times over the years and seen nothing but pike (tons of them), bass (LM/SM), muskie (once) and panfish. Never a Walleye, though I knew they were in there as they had been stocked in the past. I have focused more on the central/west part of the lake, and havent hit the east end of it yet.

All in all, its a gorgeous place to spend some time out on the water even when the bite isnt on! I personally love walking a suick jerkbait across the surface on a calm evening in dog bay over the sunken logs. There are always agressive pike ready to ambush!

Wheres the tasty cheeks, did not see any in the skillet, unless you ate them as sushie which is ok too

Apparently Rudy's daughter has a real thing for the cheeks, so he put them aside to take home for her.... there's actually less than half that fish in the pan!