Musky in Simcoe?

jedimaster

As was previously mentioned there is a stocking program in lake simcoe. Presently musky fishing is closed on the lake. I'm sure more knowledgeable member will provide more accurate info or correct me on the following: The Musky that are being stocked in simcoe are the Georgian Bay variety. Apparently they spawn in deeper water than Pike giving them a better chance of coexisting with Pike. I think I read on a website that the natural population of musky was decimated by the invasion of pike. If you caught a 32 inch musky that is a good sign as they apparently can start to reproduce at thus size. What was the colour pattern of the musky (banded or spotted)?

years ago simcoe/cooks bay had a great monster muskie population...then came bad water low oxygen and silting in of their spawning areas in the marsh area of cooks bay/holland river...they could get in to spawn some years but the smaller canals where they spawned in were drying up before the young of the year could get back to the lake......things are better now and I hope some day we have a great muskie fisheries again

I believe they are the same gene pool as the Georgian bay muskie

the lake is in better condition then it's been in 50 years

lake trout and whitefish are spawning again successfully , walleye are being found up the rivers trying to spawn again....I will hold out hope that the lake can sustain population of muskie and sturgeon will once again swim our waters too

the lake is in better condition then it's been in 50 years

lake trout and whitefish are spawning again successfully , walleye are being found up the rivers trying to spawn again....I will hold out hope that the lake can sustain population of muskie and sturgeon will once again swim our waters too

I hope your right but I'm a negative nelly on this one.

A put and take musky fishery similar to the lake trout and whitefish could probably be established but because of human impact on the bio-physical aspects of the lake I hold no hope of a self sustaining population.

Another part of the Lake Simcoe Muskie project is to try and establish natural spawning areas. The MNR and Muskies Canada are working together on this and hopefully these spawning areas MAY be protected from future destruction.

We can only try.

Tom.

Edited by Tom McCutcheon

I hope your right but I'm a negative nelly on this one.

Grew up fishing Erie in the late fifties, it was good, sixties were going downhill. seventies were a complete bust, rapid improvement in the eighties, for 20 years now it has been a fish producing machine.

I assure you Simcoe never sunk to the lows of Erie, I would be optimistic. :Gonefishing:

Grew up fishing Erie in the late fifties, it was good, sixties were going downhill. seventies were a complete bust, rapid improvement in the eighties, for 20 years now it has been a fish producing machine.

I assure you Simcoe never sunk to the lows of Erie, I would be optimistic. :Gonefishing:

Two very different problems.

I doubt that Simcoe will ever be a put and take fishery for muskie. They will protect them, even if the restoration project is successful, which they should. I see a catch a release fishery or a 50" limit when all is said and done.

I agree that the lake can produce huge muskie, and I'm sure that's why they are attempting to restore the muskie fishery.

By put and take I mean no natural reproduction. Musky have had access to Simcoe from Couch for a long time and have never managed a toehold despite all the forage available to them. Money and resources could be spent more wisely no matter the altruistic intentions.

Here's an idea,

How about you form a club, raise money towards a project of sorts. It could be side road garbage clean up for that matter. There has been many volunteer time spent on this project, a lot of money raised by volunteer clubs and then you have people dissing the very chance of something being productive and benificial to the fishing community.

I am going to take a stab at this and say you don't want the Atlantic Salmon Project to succeed either.

Cheers, Ron...

Here's an idea,

How about you form a club, raise money towards a project of sorts. It could be side road garbage clean up for that matter. There has been many volunteer time spent on this project, a lot of money raised by volunteer clubs and then you have people dissing the very chance of something being productive and benificial to the fishing community.

I am going to take a stab at this and say you don't want the Atlantic Salmon Project to succeed either.

Cheers, Ron...

Ron I guess you don't know me right. So how about you know something about me before you spout off your mouth. Those who know me know all the time I put into volunteering for fisheries work. I argued against this from day 1 at MC KW chapter that we shouldn't be wasting our valuable time and money on this project. I'm entitled to my educated opinion and I was giving it here. MC went from using their funds on a great assessment project that was far short of being complete to this shot in the dark. We only have so much money and volunteer hours to go around.

Ron I guess you don't know me right. So how about you know something about me before you spout off your mouth. Those who know me know all the time I put into volunteering for fisheries work. I argued against this from day 1 at MC KW chapter that we shouldn't be wasting our valuable time and money on this project. I'm entitled to my educated opinion and I was giving it here. MC went from using their funds on a great assessment project that was far short of being complete to this shot in the dark. We only have so much money and volunteer hours to go around.

Oh and I do support the Atlantic project but it should be scaled down to just one system. Say Shelter Valley or another small system install upwelling boxes and prevent the return of adult steelhead.

Edited by Musky or Specks