I think "garbage" fish taste great

shimano25

Some people have no clue where most of the food we eat comes from. :wallbash:

i agree. you guys complain about bottom feeding and all but i bet a lot of you like chicken....like me... but they do live their life in filthy conditions and eat their poo as well.

and about the lobster...they were once used as fertilizer...ground up and used as such.

catfish meat is mighty fine tasting and has a nice texture to it. just like what the other guys said it's when and where they are caught.

Yes Catfish is a delicacy in Louisiana and Carp is a delicacy in Eastern Europe. However these fish are farmed, and are not the beasts that come out of the great lakes, like the 40lb carp and 30lb channel cats. The fish that these people eat are around the 6lb range, therefore much tastier and healthier

I fry them up using those packaged seasoning powder you buy at Canadian Tire I think they taste great.. Anyone agree?

between fishing mixes and rod/reel combos, sounds to me like you work at CT or something. whats up with that anywayblink.gif

I will take catfish, panfish, cold water suckers ahead of trout or walleye.

Beside the fact that they are great eating fish, their populations are strong in most waterways.

Catfish are easy to clean if you have the right stuff...pliers. My grandmother used to send us out to catch them everytime she came for a visit. A pair of pliers was all that was needed to skin them and then break off the head. Great fish to feed kids as well because they have strong bones. Cook them with the tail on, then grab the tail and the meat falls off bone free every time.

I have not tried carp yet but if I get a small one from a cold river, it's coming home.

I have seen what they call "feed" to cows, pigs and chicken and I agree with Roy garbage in garbage out.

Mikecatssml.jpg

Edited by Michael Brown

I don't think the catfish I've tried ever tasted like eel. I would try suckers and carp if someone prepared it but I don't think I'd go out of my way to clean and eat 'em on my own unless they were really tasty. I tried the eel for the first time this year and they weren't bad. Still got some in the freezer that I caught in New Brunswick where they aren't endangered. Unless they are fairly big, they aren't worth the effort of cleaning.

Catfish is hard to beat, bullheads too. Carp is okay, a bugger to clean though. Sheephead I have yet to see done so it's edible. Suckers were really good, but way too boney for me to bother with again. If ya don't mind the extra work, you're very right.. most fish are tastey if prepared right.

And for anyone who assumes they are "bottom feeders" I guess you better stop eating perch, crappies, bluegills, bass, walleye and trout because 70% of their diets are off the bottom too!

Why does the phrase " Garbage in, garbage out" come to mind?

You are right Roy!

Just like the guy who walks into a restaurant and asks the waitress what was on special toay.

She replies it was oxe tongue sandwich to which he replies "I don't eat anything that came out of an animal's mouth"

The waitress then asks "what can I get you"

"a fried egg sandwich"

I honestly think people would have no idea what they were eating if it was battered in crispy chronzey, fish crisp or a homemade batter.

How many of you folks who won't eat anything but 'game' fish have actually tried 'garbage' fish?? probably not many. I'd take a nicely battered slice of carp over a steak from zehrs or sobeys or whatever anyday.