Downriggers on the front of the boat????

thefireman

I have been searching the forum (past and present) to see what everyone has to say about downrigger mounting! I seen one picture that showed the riggers mounted on the bow of the boat (not to far from the console) and thought that might just be the answer! The guy wrote that it was perfect cause he never had to turn his head all the time to watch his rods!

So I guess I'm asking if anyone of you have mounted riggers this way or thought about mounting them this way? If you have tried and found any problems or if it worked I'd definetly like to hear about it. Maybe the cable would hit the motor on turns? That's the only problem that I can come up with.

I think it should work as my trolling batteries are up front, so it would be an easy install.

The boat is a 19ft Fisher Sport Hawk

Thanks in advance

If you were only to run riggers, probably not a problem.

Trolling setups usually work like this to avoid tangles:

Deepest lines, shortest leads close to the boat.

Shallowest lines, longest leads furthest away from the boat.

You typically run riggers to get deep. If they're mounted towards the front, when you retrieve it will tangle with any other line behind it. Not to mention the cable scars in the side of your boat from turning.

I think you should stick with conventional mounting methods to avoid heartache.

With 10lb cannon balls, I doubt that the steel cable would or could make it back to the prop, but, when you hook up your lines to the releases, you would sure want to be driving in a straight line until you get the balls down to the desired depth with no slack in the line. Mine are mounted on the side at about the 2/3 distance from the front, I drive a tiller so the rods are still forward from where I sit and close enough for the person up front.

I have been searching the forum (past and present) to see what everyone has to say about downrigger mounting! I seen one picture that showed the riggers mounted on the bow of the boat (not to far from the console) and thought that might just be the answer! The guy wrote that it was perfect cause he never had to turn his head all the time to watch his rods!

So I guess I'm asking if anyone of you have mounted riggers this way or thought about mounting them this way? If you have tried and found any problems or if it worked I'd definetly like to hear about it. Maybe the cable would hit the motor on turns? That's the only problem that I can come up with.

I think it should work as my trolling batteries are up front, so it would be an easy install.

The boat is a 19ft Fisher Sport Hawk

Thanks in advance

That would be me. :D

In the 20 years I have been running my boat with the riggers this way I have never had the cables touch the side of my boat,get caught in the prop or tangle.

I do get the occasional line tangle when I get a hot fish on though but you get that with conventionally mounted riggers also.

I remember watching my rod bounce on the starboard side of the boat while a hot rainbow cleared the water on the port side. :blink:

I can run flat lines out the back of the boat, riggers in the center and have planer board masts that are mounted on the front casting deck on either side of the seat mount.

My boat has casting decks fore and aft and because of that it can get a little dangerous hanging over the side hooking in the clip in rough water. With them mounted in the center I have 2 feet of gunnel height to brace myself against as compared to the 4 inches on the back casting deck.

You do have to make sure you are going straight when dropping lines so they don't get tangled in the motor though. You need to make sure you're going straight anyway so you don't tangle any lines already out.

One of these days I need to get some good pictures of the full setup. :rolleyes:

I love being able to look to either side and be able to see the lines as opposed to turning right around (a lot easier with swivel captains chairs but not with bass boat style seating).

Saves a lot of neck strain.

Drifter ,it was your boat. I like the idea of not turning around all the time, and I guess that it would take some getting use to, but it seems good. If you could get some pics that would be stellar. I am worried about tangling everything up once I have fish on. Especially a double header!

I recently installed some Cannon downriggers. I put mine on the back, but the instructions actually recommended installing them at the front for small boats.

The down riggers have clutches that should allow the cable to release. Plus, I am pretty sure the riggers would break before the boat sank.

Drifter ,it was your boat. I like the idea of not turning around all the time, and I guess that it would take some getting use to, but it seems good. If you could get some pics that would be stellar. I am worried about tangling everything up once I have fish on. Especially a double header!

No need to worry really, it isn't any different than if they are off the back.

I may have time on the weekend to haul the boat out of it's shelter and take a couple of pictures. ;)

I've run a pair of manuals attched to a board attached to the oarlocks of a cartopper while fishing remoter lakes in Haliburton, never an issue even with the shorter arm riggers. I'm sure you will be using something with arms longer than thosse little J arms we had, If that's what you want go for it.

Riggers have pulled down bigger boats.

Pulling on the side of the boat gives less stability than pulling on the back. If you snag up in rough weather your going to have to cut that cable in seconds before you run out of cable and get pulled sideways then flipped. Buddy saw an 18'er get pulled down, said it only took 3 waves.

. Buddy saw an 18'er get pulled down, said it only took 3 waves.

That could happen regardless of where the riggers are installed; have you not ever seen the movie JAWS. :oops:

Anyone that is running riggers had better have a very sharp pair of side cutters, ready at all times. You never know what’s down there to get hung-up on and stringing new cable is a lot better then screwing up the riggers, the boat’s mounting area or worse case sinking.

On my 16 foot tiller; my electric Big Jons are about mid way up on either side and even when I’m running my in-line plainer boards; I haven’t had much of any trouble with getting tangled?

Oh sure when a bow decides to go ballistic from 40 feet down anything is likely to happen; but again no worse then if the riggers were at the back.

My concern when installing mine was, how bad the boat would pull with just one side down; but it’s hardly noticeable.

Dan.

To the best of my knowledge most riggers (I have Big Jons) come with an adjustable clutch, set 'em up right and you'll have no worries.

It’s not the clutch setting that’s the issue; it’s when you’ve spooled the rigger is when you get that puckered butt feeling, while you’re scrambling for the side cutters. LOL

Dan.

It's not the clutch setting that's the issue; it's when you've spooled the rigger is when you get that puckered butt feeling, while you're scrambling for the side cutters. LOL

Dan.

Well I've hung bottom a few times and it only takes a second or two to throw it in neutral or reverse if your not sleeping. biggrin.gif

if your not sleeping. biggrin.gif

True enough; but when you still have three lines out; you’re fighting a fish with the fourth and your fishing partner is more interested in watching your rod then your balls things can happen. LOL :w00t:

Dan.

There's a big difference in hanging up on flat water and hanging up when your riding the rollers home. Remember back when that big charter boat sank when they got the riggers caught in a net. Riggers mounted forward on a small boat are going to be one more thing working against you when it hits the fan.

There's a big difference in hanging up on flat water and hanging up when your riding the rollers home. Remember back when that big charter boat sank when they got the riggers caught in a net. Riggers mounted forward on a small boat are going to be one more thing working against you when it hits the fan.

If it's the one I remember on Georgian Bay he sank because he tried to reverse into the waves instead of cutting his lines.

If it's the one I remember on Georgian Bay he sank because he tried to reverse into the waves instead of cutting his lines.

Actually he tried to power through it and the boat ended up being sling shotted backwards and taking a wave over the transom when he got off the throttle. Not sure if he was running with the waves at the time or not.