Is it possible to have too much fishing stuff?

LeXXington

When getting ready for the upcoming fishing season and then getting giddy :thumbsup_anim: when the BPS flyer came out my wife asked me a simple question...

What could you possibly still buy that you don't already have? This leads me to a wierd question. How much is too much :) is there a point?

Yeap, I could always upgrade stuff, or buy more spinners, plastics, hooks etc, rods, reels etc.

What would you buy if you could not upgrade excisting stuff or add more baits?

I think this is like asking a kid if he/she can ever have too many toys ...

Personally, i will say no to that question until i win the lottery one day and buy BassPro + Fishing World (BassPro doesn't have any carp stuff) ... one day .... one day *keeping my fingers crossed*

I'm far from the point where there's nothing to upgrade ... i wish that i'm there ... it's just too hard trying to decide what i should get first and what i should leave on my "wish-list" for next year.

If you don't need anymore upgrades on tackle, maybe look into safety gear? I'm sure your wife would be okay with that :D. (that's why i should buy all my stuff when i'm still single lol)

Victor

Boat - Possible upgrades: Auto inflatable life vests, new first-aid kit, safety kit, replace batteries to Optima gellies, Upgrade Sonar/GPS, upgrade trolling motor

Apparel - Gore-tex rain gear, Waders/boots, new fishing vest, new polarized sunglasses

Tackle - Replace old rusty hooks with sharp Gamakatsu hooks, replace old line, try new lures & replace lost or add to collection of lures

General gear: Handheld GPS & hydro charts, 2-Way Radios, Snowmobile, ATV

Fishing is a very expensive hobby!

Tony

Simple answer...you can never have TOO MUCH! If I have excess tackle I go thru it and make up a complete tackle kit and find a youngster who does not yet have the fishing bug and start them off on the right track. It sure keeps them off the streets & out of the back of the police cruisers. Although the parents sometimes complain about things like worms in their pockets & wet boots etc. It is still worthwhile....and VERY rewarding.

FT

My mom tells me the same thing

My justification equation for buying a new rod (to my mother):

"This rod only catches pike, not carp"

+ ("I got it at a bargain" x perception factor of what I think is a bargain)

+ "I might need a back up in the future"

+ "I need a longer rod, I don't have one this long"

+ "I'm replacing a rod that became obsolete 5yrs ago, it doesn't catch fish anymore"

+ "I just got an A+ on my accounting exam"

+ "This will be the last time I buy a new this type of rod" / (guilt and forgetfulness factor)

= New rod

A usable justification equation for a girlfriend developed by my fishing buddies is

Jewelry + chick flick + painting her nails (or massage) = buy what you want, in any quantity you want

Or use the equation

= Just pay in cash and hide it

You can never have too much tackle

The only thing I'm missing now is that 22' Lund with GPS/fish finder capability

Gore-tex rocks to the MAX!

Dad I know you will probably read this but I learned from you.

Thanks for the new AngSpec...You can use it to on Tuesdays and Wednesdays

Edited by MJL

I ain't got an abundance of lures. I was just down in the basement the other day putting together a sampling of lure to take to Lakair this year. Had an awful time trying to decide what to throw in the box. Pulled a few of each type and we'll see what happens.

I guess we're never satisfied with what we have.

WASS gps will be my next purchase. I think a bow mount electric motor was the best investment I ever made, it allows you to fish so many different ways it's very handy.

The rods reels and lures never end.. :)

Edited by GbayGiant

All I know is that until I got into chasing chrome I had two rods 3 reels, and all my gear fit into a locker not much bigger than the one I had in high school. After I started steelheading I now have a closet that is 5' long by 4 ' deep and 6' high, that is cramped to the point that I will need to cut out a hole into the space above it for rod storage.....

Before I can even think about fishing the opening this spring I need a center pin reel, neoprene waders, about 20 to 30 jigs, roe tying machine, better rain gear the list goes on.

Notice how I didn't mention what I have already, just in case anyone sees this who might question what I still "need" by foolishly comparing it to what I already have ;o) LOL.