Memquisit Trip

doubleheader

Returned from our annual 2 wk trip on the west arm on Saturday. On the drive up thru NYS on Rt 90 my brand new Tundra was hit by a brick or large rock as I went under an underpass. Major shock when that happens in the wee hours (sounded like an explosion), followed by being pxxx'd, followed by being thankful that we weren't killed. Other than that we arrived unscathed on a hot Saturday afternoon, and "hot" would be the word to describe our next 2 weeks of weather. Our first day of fishing the water temp was 67F and produced 12 walleyes between my wife and me. By mid week the surface water temp hovered at 80F where it remained for the rest of our trip, and as the weather got hotter the fishing declined. In short between my wife, me, and another couple we managed 108 walleyes during our stay, 7 were over the slot (2 close to 28"), but not nearly the numbers we've had in recent past. We found most fish around Squaw Island. They seemed to stage daily in the narrows in current or adajcent to underwater springs, which I could see on my sonar, and move into the deep bays enmass to feed selectively on perch and dragon fly larvae. I tried numerous weedbeds which had held fish in previous years but to no avail. Almost all of our fish came off worm harnesses trolled at .9mph off 1.5 oz bottom bouncers. Some fish exhibited signs of stress, I assume related to the early spring, low water, and extended hot weather. I had the distinct pleasure of fishing for musky with Lew on Thursday, and although we had no takers I had a wonderful morning with some great conversation. Thank you Lew. The 2nd week Amy and I fished with Alex from Memquisit on his day off. We've gotten to know Alex over the last 5 years and he's a fine young man, getting ready to marry his sweetheart Emily in August. Let me tell you, there is a young man whose parents should be proud. Sound values, great sense of humor, just an all around nice young man.

On Tuesday of week 1 we had a big bear on our porch (cabin 3). I have seen many a bear in our PA woods and he was easily 300 lbs, a very fine specimen. The next day my friend's wife slipped at the water's edge, fell hard, and cracked her head and back on the rocks. She suffered with hip pain the rest of the trip. Then, despite all odds, my wife managed to get her foot caught underneath the rod locker lid while walking to the front of the boat, so now, as my buddy is also ailing and awaiting medication for a thyroid condition, me and the 2 dogs are the only healthy ones left in camp!

I'm going to wrap this up here, but I have to say that despite all our incidents and problems (Amy also managed to shut a finger in the car door on the way home) we still had another great trip on the west arm and can't wait for next year. We found the accomodations perfect for us with the dogs, cabin 3 even has a new kitchen and large new bathroom btw, and our hosts were very helpful throughout our stay. Here are some pics, I hope...

10 Memquisit 1.jpg

10 Memquisit 2.jpg

10 Memquisit 3.jpg

10 Memquisit 5.jpg

10 memquisit 8.jpg

10 Memquisit 9.jpg

Good to see you made it home safely Fred.

It was great to finally hook up with you for a day on the water and hopefully we'll do it again next year.

Looking forward to my own trip to Memquiset in a couple more weeks.

It was good to see you guys up there Fred, sorry you had some issues, but glad you had a nice time and managed to find some fish.

As Lew probably told you in the boat we didn't fish all that much but enjoyed the good company and great conversation.

Sorry that we won't be able to join Lew and Di and Pete and Sue at Memquisit next month, but I know that they will have a great time.

John..

Rich, I here you. I may try to squeeze in a long weekend trip in September. John, nice meeting you up there. Don't blame you for not fishing much, the heat was a bear, but you know, I find that I can have a wonderful time up there even if I'm not fishing, and I'm sure you felt the same. Lew, thanks again my friend, looking forward to reading your Memquisit report next month.

On the drive up thru NYS on Rt 90 my brand new Tundra was hit by a brick or large rock as I went under an underpass. Major shock when that happens in the wee hours (sounded like an explosion), followed by being pxxx'd, followed by being thankful that we weren't killed.

DH - Was this 'bridge' incident an accident or did someone actually throw something at you ? ?

Several years ago, just after we cleared customs on the Canadian side, going under a bridge, some kids through something that hit my truck, just an inch or two above the windshield. One heck of a bang and left a nice little dent. Couple inches lower - it could have smacked the windshield right in front of my wife.

Edited by Rich Clemens

Nice fish......sorry to hear about your misfortunes on the NYS Thruway...do you remember about where this happened ? ? ?

The wife and I had nice trip at Memquisit Lodge about 3 or 4 years ago...you feel at home there and the food was VERY good.

Bob

Sorry to hear about the damage - that's stuff scary. You understand why on the way to detroit all the bridges ahve chain link fence 8 foot up - sad statement on what some individuals have to do for a kick -

on the other hand - beauty fish counts and nice report/ photos - hope everyone heals up ok. Closed my thinb in the door once. Ever notice how the painful ones only produce "PAIN" after you stop, look and go Oh no.... that's gonna hurt,,,,, now slowly remove.......................

Hey all thanks for the interest. Rich, I guess I'll never know for sure whether this was an accident or a really sick prank. I suspect it was the latter simply because this was not a small object that could be thrown by a tire, it was at least 8 inches long based on the dent in the roof. I was on Rt 90W, headed to Buffalo and the Peace Bridge, and it was the last underpass before the end of Rt 90. Wish I had a slow motion video of the whole thing because I'd like to see how it missed my boat.

Hey all thanks for the interest. Rich, I guess I'll never know for sure whether this was an accident or a really sick prank. I suspect it was the latter simply because this was not a small object that could be thrown by a tire, it was at least 8 inches long based on the dent in the roof. I was on Rt 90W, headed to Buffalo and the Peace Bridge, and it was the last underpass before the end of Rt 90. Wish I had a slow motion video of the whole thing because I'd like to see how it missed my boat.

I'm trying to focus on exactly where because the NYS Thruway has many camera's on it....so you took the eastbound I-90 to the northbound I-190 into Buffalo right. Using Google Maps type in West Seneca and then zoom in to see if you can pin point the overpass road that you believe it happened.

My first concern was it happened around the Silver Creek area because the state has had problems with the Seneca Indians over a dispute on taxing their cigarette sales. Someone on Res land recently put railroad ties across the tracks and Amtrack hit them causing a lot of damage but thank God the train did not derail and no one was hurt.

Billy Bob, from Google maps, West Seneca NY, I highlighted "traffic". It appears to me that the toll road ends just before RT219 intersects and that is my recollection as well. The incident occurred about a mile before the toll booth, but I can't tell from the map what is an overpass and what is an underpass. My quess is it occurred at Lake Avenue or, possibly there looks to be access to Rt 90 at Rt 179. Whichever one has an overpass over Rt 90. Again my recollection was it was only a very short distance from the incident to the toll booth, but you know the mind can deceive you during such things.

btw, yes we took I90E to I190

Edited by doubleheader

Billy Bob, from Google maps, West Seneca NY, I highlighted "traffic". It appears to me that the toll road ends just before RT219 intersects and that is my recollection as well. The incident occurred about a mile before the toll booth, but I can't tell from the map what is an overpass and what is an underpass. My quess is it occurred at Lake Avenue or, possibly there looks to be access to Rt 90 at Rt 179. Whichever one has an overpass over Rt 90. Again my recollection was it was only a very short distance from the incident to the toll booth, but you know the mind can deceive you during such things.

btw, yes we took I90E to I190

Have to go to the dentist now but will look at that more later.....but all roads that intersect with the NYS Thruway go over the Thruway if that helps.

I have traveled that area 1000 times if not more but not in the last month or so......I do believe that some of those over passes just west of the toll booths had been worked on recently....did you contact the NYS police or NYS Thruway Authority about this.......

That area is not know for any problems with this kind of thing. I know that doesn't mean it can't happen but I would have guessed it happened either on Indian land or along the I-190 northbound in your travels.

As I have said there are a lot of camera's on the NYS Thruway especially at ramps like at the 179 overpass you think it might have happened. Most people don't even realize the cameras are there because they are stuck on top light poles and blend in very well.

Hope you get your TUNDRA back in order.....a lesser truck wouldn't have survived that impact...(I have a '07 TUNDRA) :thumbsup_anim:

Have to go to the dentist now but will look at that more later.....but all roads that intersect with the NYS Thruway go over the Thruway if that helps.

Transit road goes under the 90? So does William? I cant figure where this happened either. Broadway goes over the 90

BB, as you know, getting north of Barrie before 9:00am is important, especially when pulling a boat. Therefore, rightly or wrongly I did not call the police. In retrospect I should have pulled over and called them. I did report the incident to the guy in the toll booth but I'm pretty sure it went no further than that.

Haven't decided yet about the truck. I can't see it unless I'm on a ladder. I'm hoping the additional crease will improve my gas mileage :rolleyes:

Edited by doubleheader

Transit road goes under the 90? So does William? I cant figure where this happened either. Broadway goes over the 90

Blaque, your right.....I was thinking of all the roads west of the Lackawanna toll booths....I "thinking" most of them go over the Thruway but your right, not all of them.