Hey you smokers

misfish

Do you really taste a big difference when you use different types of wood?

Today I found another brand of chips,Montanas.Organic,so they say.Im doing another spatchcock,this one is marinading in fresh lemon juice and zest, fresh garlic and savory.Using Hickory as this seems to work best for me.

If I tried say apple or even pecan,would it really change the taste?

Thanks.

Yes Brian, I find apple the best for salmon where some like alder for fish. Apple and cherry mixed for ribs is another good combo. Mt problem is finding apple chuncks for my new smoker...

Use to be you only had a few types to choose from but now lots of different wood flavours. I too am not a big fan on the hickory. I find it very overpowering now that I have tried other woods. I used up my last bag of the Weber hickory chips on some boneless chops the other night. Cook them 1/2 way through on the BBQ smother them in honey bbq sauce and then inot the smoker on low for 2 hours. dripping like candy bars whent hey came out

I buy my chips from Barbeque Galore. Picked up 2 bags of Whiskey chips today, a bag of apple and a bag of my fav to date black cherry. I did several batches of rainbow trout last year and the black cherry is absolutely made for fish.

black cherry is absolutely made for fish.

Got to get me some of that black cherry to try! I play around with several different ones. I like maple and apple for pork, 9haven't tried cherry yet but I am going to. Mesquite for samon or trout but I do find you have to be careful how much you use. I also like red cedar for salmon and trout. Hickory for beef but again, you don't want to over do it. I still haven't decided what I like best for chicken. Any suggestions?

Thanks again.

This montana brand has cherry,apple and peacan and the others.The wood chips are large.It,s just a matter of time, before I figure out what goes best for our taste.

Tonights hickory worked fine,but like I said,going to try others.

Start to finish. :canadian::thumbsup_anim:

20100718_01.jpg

Smoken,n :w00t:

20100718_01_01.jpg

20100718_01_02.jpg

my wood shop generates alot of oak and maple, and occasionally cherry. part-timing as a lumberjack nets me the occasional hall of apple. the apple and the maple i can typically match to meats on the que, my question for you experienced smokers is what would be a suitable match for the oak? or should it just hit the firepit?

Brian, The other day I put my chicken on a beer can chicken rack but, I didn't use a beer in it, I just filled a pop can with water. Using beer is just a waste :whistling: Then I cut up some ceder deck boards in little 2" chunks and wrapped them in tin foil, I threw a few chucks at a time on the gas burner rack to smoke. When the chicken was done, it was fantastic. :good: I also did this with back ribs. I kept the pan of the can rack filled with water so the drippings wouldn't burn in the bottom. I thought using a ceder plank cooking fish was good, I'd try the little chunks cooking meat.

Wrapping the chunks in foil keeps the ashes from going all over, throw away when they stop smoking and replace with new.

I didn't use a beer in it, I just filled a pop can with water. Using beer is just a waste :whistling: Then I cut up some ceder deck boards in little 2" chunks and wrapped them in tin foil,

I like that way of thinking :clapping: Why waste the brew and cedar decking is cheap in comparison. Going to give it a try Dave.

The chicken in BrianB;s pics looks great :thumbsup_anim:

.... my question for you experienced smokers is what would be a suitable match for the oak? or should it just hit the firepit?

DO NOT put the oak in the firepit!!! Oak is a fantastic base for almost any meat. I use it all the time and mix it with fruit woods.

As for woods tasting different.... I can tell hickory from everything else (not so fond of it, over used), most fruit woods taste the same and are milder, I have tried all the maples (sugar/silver/black/red) and they all taste mostly the same as well. Mesquite is for grilling, not for smoking/BBQ (way too strong).... And cedar is usually used for grilling as well (generally soft woods are not used for smoking/BBQ (creosote))...

Burt :)

Can one just wrap some chips up in tin foil and toss them on the grill and that will ad smoke flavor, or a pan under the grills but on top of the flavor bars filled with chips ? I have a smoker i use mostly in the winter but it take 6 hours to do a load of fish, thinking the barbie I could get a quick fix that way, is this possible ? Thanks Al