What food can I bring into Canada?

10point

I have been trying to reasearch this and I can't really seem to find the info I need. The government sites seem really confusing. I plan to hit the grovery on our way but was wondering what I can bring from the US. My Dad is wanting to bring some canned vegetable soup. I plan on bringing stuff for cooking fish like shore lunch mix, tarter sauce, cooking oil, etc.

my experiences (before moving here) was avoid anything fresh. You can bring some meat, etc but no produce and limited dairy. I tell my friends that as long as its not fresh you should be ok. You can find out more at www.cbsa.gc.ca. hope this helps

You can't take raw potatos, meat is not a problem but limited in amount,alcohol is also limited.Go to Fishing Minnesota there is a large section on Canada that will spell out in detail what and amounts that can be taken into the country. Usually we bought as much locally as possible to help out the local folks.

No bait except for crawlers ans they must be packed in paper no dirt or bedding. Much easier to buy local.

Been traveling to Ontario via Peace Bridge and Rainbow bridge for over 35 years and have taken EVERYTHING food wise including a case of beer one bottle of rum and one bottle of wine without any problems.

The last time (last June) customs at the Peace Bridge asked me if I had any knives...I said no...while driving away with boat in tow I thought to myself....I have 4 fillet knives in the boat.....who goes fishing without a knife.. :rolleyes:

Bob

I came back from a vacation in Europe last summer. I had a homemade salami chub and 2 bottles of home-made hooch from my Slovenian cousins.

Customs took the salami but left me with the hooch (whew!!) The hooch was pretty good - the salami a bit tough and fatty (sorry cuz).

I'm not sure what you could bring across from within North America. But I know guys in the Windsor area that go across to the US and bring back turkeys, eggs, etc.

Should be something on a customs website.

WR

I have been trying to reasearch this and I can't really seem to find the info I need. The government sites seem really confusing. I plan to hit the grovery on our way but was wondering what I can bring from the US. My Dad is wanting to bring some canned vegetable soup. I plan on bringing stuff for cooking fish like shore lunch mix, tarter sauce, cooking oil, etc.

The answer to that one is simple!! Buy it here!

Joe.. put the homemade hooch into a rinsed out pop bottle of proper "colour" for said hooch to look like said pop (keep Art out of it!).

10point... just make life easy, drive the extra 5 minutes into town before going down the lake access road. Grab your fishing licence at Dad's while still heading North bound... leave there and turn left into the Grocery store and once done there.. walk the 25 feet to the liquor and beer store. Tell Julie I said hi.... and then drive back South and down the access road. Enjoy your trip !!!

Joe.. put the homemade hooch into a rinsed out pop bottle of proper "colour" for said hooch to look like said pop (keep Art out of it!).

10point... just make life easy, drive the extra 5 minutes into town before going down the lake access road. Grab your fishing licence at Dad's while still heading North bound... leave there and turn left into the Grocery store and once done there.. walk the 25 feet to the liquor and beer store. Tell Julie I said hi.... and then drive back South and down the access road. Enjoy your trip !!!

Will Dad's be open on a Sunday morning when we arrive? I am trying to get a couple more maps and I was hoping to stop there and get some. I sent a check to adventure maps two weeks ago and they haven't gotten it yet. We are staying the night at my inlaws in London on the way and will probably buy our liscense there just in case we wouldn't be able to bet them.

I'll call Jim tomorrow and check for you !

If you don't need provisions from town.. you can also stop at "Gramps" at Angus Lake.. right on the side of #11 about 10 minutes shy of the Lake T access road to see what he has for maps. He should have the Adventure ones.. Jim does at Dad's.

I always put a piece of masking tape on my moonshine saying black berry preserves just in case they search my food box. although i have never had any trouble what so ever. just be polite and you should be fine.

jason

10point... Jim ("Dad's") is open from 9am - 3pm on Sundays.

Thanks, that will help!

I sent you a question that might have got lost in your inbox but does Temagami have any pan fish in it? Perch, bluegill, crappie?

Edited by 10point

As I mentioned earlier go to fishingminnesota, then forums,hottips etc then scroll down to Canada. Scrolling around on the Canada site will give you more info than you will ever need. For those wanting to take alcohol in the tarriff is more than you paid for it in the states. I've found it is better to buy most things in Canada.

Thanks, that will help!

I sent you a question that might have got lost in your inbox but does Temagami have any pan fish in it? Perch, bluegill, crappie?

Didn't see it... but yes, there are Perch, Sunfish and Rockbass in the lake. Haven't seen a Crappie..

pretty sure the limits are set by the cfia (food inspection) and enforced cbsa (border services). The airports have a booklet on what you can bring and the limits. meat is 20kg/person. that i know for certain because i return from vacation with that limit it every summer.