1. 1. What

• Spro
    • Snag Proof
    • Tru Tungsten
    • Bass Pro Shops
    • Manns
    • Scum Frog
    • Other

Just interested into what us Largemouth guys use for frog fishing slop and frogs for pads. I know texas rigged frog's all have their time and place but in the "Slop Frog" department what do you use?

Recently I'm making the switch to Snag Proof frogs...Have used Spro in the past and they look great but the rubber is a little too tough for my liking...personal preference thats all.

Let the madness begin haha. Hang in there, only 54 more days until the season begins.

MTBF B)

Edited by MikeTheBassFisher

I have a spro black frog and have had probably 20 fish blow up on it and have hooked 0 of them!!! I swithched over to a mann's black frog and went 3 for 4 with it until I lost it. My spro body is much harder than the mann's frog. Maybe my spro hooks are messed up or maybe I got a defective frog. Anyway, I have checked the hooks a hundred times and can't figure it out. The mann's frogs are also about $5 from walmart in the states.

I bought a kermy from BPS during the sale and it looks like a carbon copy of the spro frog. Haven't used it yet but I hope it hooks up better than my spro.

I have a spro black frog and have had probably 20 fish blow up on it and have hooked 0 of them!!! I swithched over to a mann's black frog and went 3 for 4 with it until I lost it. My spro body is much harder than the mann's frog. Maybe my spro hooks are messed up or maybe I got a defective frog. Anyway, I have checked the hooks a hundred times and can't figure it out. The mann's frogs are also about $5 from walmart in the states.

I bought a kermy from BPS during the sale and it looks like a carbon copy of the spro frog. Haven't used it yet but I hope it hooks up better than my spro.

Give Snag Proof a try. There flawless

I tried these out and like them the best,they are called Sumo Frogs . I find the pink is easy to spot if you take your eye off them while fishing in the lily pads. I trim the tails a little shorter and bend the hooks out a bit and improved my hook up ratio.

color.23.jpg

I used the black bronze eye spro all summer last year and prolly missed 1 -2 fish out of countless largies must be a bad 1 or the boddy is harder than mine. I give them a good 3-5 secs after the "blow up" before I set the hook . I use 80lb braid on my frog rod, which is a 7'11" heavy, fast action PT tour edition with a 201 curado. I find with the slop frogs you really have to swing for the fence when ya set,but some guys use 30lb braid with medium weight rods. all depends on what your confidence is in the spro frogs work amazing for me I have 6-8 of them, some guys can't stand them. I also love venom soft plastic frogs they are great but hard to find around my neck of the woods I CANT WAIT to chuck a frog in the reeds.

I used the black bronze eye spro all summer last year and prolly missed 1 -2 fish out of countless largies must be a bad 1 or the boddy is harder than mine. I give them a good 3-5 secs after the "blow up" before I set the hook . I use 80lb braid on my frog rod, which is a 7'11" heavy, fast action PT tour edition with a 201 curado. I find with the slop frogs you really have to swing for the fence when ya set,but some guys use 30lb braid with medium weight rods. all depends on what your confidence is in the spro frogs work amazing for me I have 6-8 of them, some guys can't stand them. I also love venom soft plastic frogs they are great but hard to find around my neck of the woods I CANT WAIT to chuck a frog in the reeds.

Good point! Gotta wait those 2-3 seconds before hook set or you will lose 'em.

I have a bunch of the spros and picked up a few of the River2sea frogs last year but didn't throw them. Looking forward to testing them out this year cuz they look awesome. But I've never really had any problems with the spros. When I miss fish on them its usually my fault, sometimes its hard to wait those few seconds to let them take it. Here's another tip for frog fishing that I've heard about but haven't tried yet...seal the opening around the hook with silicone and then make a small slit in the frogs back. This way it doesn't fill with water as much but still collapses when a fish bites it.

Edited by Bassaholic

I like the spro frogs alot, haven't tried the mann's ones or the Snag proof. The spro's are pretty inconsistent though, some of them are really rigid and feel thicker than others, When I buy em I always squeeze them threw the plastic package to try and find the softer ones lol, if you see the frog section at some tackle store and all the packages are dented in it was prolly me :D

-Ben

I used to use frogs quite often but now I use a white rat instead. I make long casts and reel it in really fast. When I get a blow up and a miss I go back for em with a sluggo the same colour, rigged weedless with a 5/0 gammy. Works amost every time.

I use all kinds of frogs,My favorite so far has to be the Nories, NF60 frog. The last 2 seasons my hookup ratio was amazing. This was because of the body design and the plastic. These seem unscathed by fish as well. They last much longer then the others I have. I have every Spro frog made right now as well. You have to adjust the Spro frogs hook angle usually to get better hook ups. The River 2 Sea frogs are very nice but fall apart was to quick. Hookup ratio on the Bully Wa from River 2 Sea is better than the Spro. However with a few mods the Spro is deadly as well.

I use a few tricks to enhance them as well. I add rattles to most frogs. I also use that Megastrike gel scent and cover the frog with it as it tends to slide over the pads easier and if you place some in the holes it seals it as well, plus it helps with the delay in striking the fish as they tend to hold onto it longer. Another trick I use is to take my braid line and run about 100 ft of it thrugh melted candle wax and wipe it off. This allows the line to float and slide through the junk better. I also modify some by trimming skirts, adding weights, removing skirt material legs and adding soft plastic worms or spinner blades for open water. Tons of tricks you can use for these things.

For every frog I use I have 2 more in cases modified. I love Frog fishing as you can tell. I have not even mentioned the other frogs I have. Not enough time. They all work well and have a place at times but so far the Nories has been the best one.