We may need to change the opening seasons

bigfish1965

It's still April, the hardwood trees here are fully leaved (as are the Birch), fruit trees in blossom, the 'May Flowers' came up three weeks ago, I've cut my lawn three times now...

If we are going to be like this every year, I say it may be time to rethink opening days. The small tribs here were emptied out by opener....pike came and gone in two weeks last month. Crazy...

It's still April, the hardwood trees here are fully leaved (as are the Birch), fruit trees in blossom, the 'May Flowers' came up three weeks ago, I've cut my lawn three times now...

If we are going to be like this every year, I say it may be time to rethink opening days. The small tribs here were emptied out by opener....pike came and gone in two weeks last month. Crazy...

Yep your right seems like every thing is changing to early . Well make the (Fisher-man) very happy right aaa

Guest gbfisher

I'd hold that thought for a couple years.... :sarcasm:

im glad the steelies came in, did their thing and were back to the lake before opener.. it gives that species a fighting chance!!!

I totally agree...maybe mother nature is giving something to our fishery. Everyone keeps harping about catch and release...fishing for spawning fish is as bad or worse than keeping a few fish.

im glad the steelies came in, did their thing and were back to the lake before opener.. it gives that species a fighting chance!!!

Thanks for saving me the time Dobee.

I would also like to see alternating closers, of main river tribs for a full year.

Just amagin the population then? :dunno:

Opener has been well to us.The best in a long time and we were spoiled.Maybe we just got lucky :dunno:

Maybe...but I don't agree... today April 27 I took the day off work and headed out to one of my favorite tribs in the east...Anything but empty...I went 5 for about 20 and fresh to boot(all released including the 3 full, yes full, hens). Went for a bit of a stroll and fish throughout...All said three pools within a one minute walk had to have well, and I mean well over 200 Steelhead in them. Opener on the same trib went 5 for 5 fresh steel and 2 full hens(kept only one to eat,small male)...Really no need to change the open dates as they are still there...And probably will be for some time

Maybe...but I don't agree... today April 27 I took the day off work and headed out to one of my favorite tribs in the east...Anything but empty...I went 5 for about 20 and fresh to boot(all released including the 3 full, yes full, hens). Went for a bit of a stroll and fish throughout...All said three pools within a one minute walk had to have well, and I mean well over 200 Steelhead in them. Opener on the same trib went 5 for 5 fresh steel and 2 full hens(kept only one to eat,small male)...Really no need to change the open dates as they are still there...And probably will be for some time

I know we are close to you, but the temp and climate from Niagara to Oshawa is quite different. Three weeks ago the trout started dropping back...I don't really care myself cause I don't fish trout, but if this is any indicator, the rest of the spawns will be early too.

[quote name=Rick OBanion' date='27 April 2010 - 04:39

PM' timestamp='1272400764' post='460507]

Good to hear your having spring down your way Rick cause we had snow up here an hour ago.

Probably just Mother Nature letting us know she's still in charge though :lol:

Cnv0574.jpg

I'd love to see all the fish back in the lake before the opener was here, I am sure a lot of the guys here would. Even though we have quite a few hardcore steelheaders on the site, I doubt you'll find many of them fishing 3ft deep gin clear pools on the opener...

No sport in that.

Even though we have quite a few hardcore steelheaders on the site, I doubt you'll find many of them fishing 3ft deep gin clear pools on the opener...

No sport in that.

Not trying to start anything here...but to me there is no difference whatsoever between fishing them in gin clear 3 ft deep water or water that is the same depth or deeper but is stained.

You know where they are, you know what baits to use and you drift it in front of them. Condition may vary a little but the technique is pretty much the same.

Trib fishing has never been about sport. You are hunting the fish when they are there most vulnerable and predictable.

Hey I do it too. I would just never call trib fishing sporty.

Back to the original post now. I think things are fine as far as the openers go. The weather changes every year. That is what keeps it interesting IMHO.

I'd love to see all the fish back in the lake before the opener was here, I am sure a lot of the guys here would. Even though we have quite a few hardcore steelheaders on the site, I doubt you'll find many of them fishing 3ft deep gin clear pools on the opener...

No sport in that.

amen

Well myself I only fish for steelhead(and only from land as the name implies). Everyone has their fav fish to catch, and yeah wouldn't mind one bit if there were no fish in the rivers(would cut down on constant replenishment of terminal tackle for sure)(and my work attendance owuld definately improve lol). We do need to change openers... I fish from Nov to April before open south of CNR, and I for one think that Reg needs to be changed. Even though thats the majority of my fishing time I wouldnt loose sleep if they closed it completely till forth Sat april opener. Make special Regs then like on some of the Grand Tribs? Non organics only? Size limits? Lower cull limits? Barbless?... For all tribs province wide!!! Would help the boat fishers...

As for the 3ft Gin clear? If those fish don't want to bite they won't and yeah it's a great hunt, stealth is the name! :ph34r:

if this early spring stuff starts to become standard there's gonna have to be a lot of changes for me, there should still be ice on the lakes, waiting for may run was fitting as we usually couldnt get on the lake anyways, actually had to head south to find open water about 10 years ago as our usuall lake was still iced over for may run, only time will tell

Last year spring was late, very late. Even in the Niagara region everything was 2-3 weeks late. Timing of the spawn fluctuates quite a bit over a 10 year period. It's all about the runoff and water temps. One year the trout are dropping eggs in April and the next it's 3 weeks earlier in March

Not trying to start anything here...but to me there is no difference whatsoever between fishing them in gin clear 3 ft deep water or water that is the same depth or deeper but is stained.

Interesting point of view, although I don't think many people here will agree with you :)

..any way you look at it, a freaky spring like this will benefit everyones fishing enjoyment for the next couple years too come..

Low water levels may make that decision. Levels are pretty low around this area but I can't speak of others. Hopefully an early spawn may help the fish population, it probably all comes out equal over a decade or two with fluctuations in year to year weather.

No sport in that.

:clapping:

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

No sport in that.

It is pretty funny seeing guys fishing 6 foot wide ditches, in 3 fow with $2000 in float rods, 'pins, waders, etc.

If the length of your rod is wider than the stream in which you use it, you kind of look silly!

Edited by Dr. Salvelinus