NF Bob Cole, NHL play-by-play

chris.brock

I grew up with Bob Cole (Harry Neal too) covering the Leafs and play off games (most play off games didn't include the Leafs), I love the tradition and the Canadiana aspect, but I think it's time they found someone new, I find it hard to watch while listening to his many mistakes and oddly phrased descriptions and mental lapses, I find myself watching another play- off game just to avoid his commentary

a great hockey guy, but anyone else share the same opinion? or disagree?

I grew up with Bob Cole (Harry Neal too) covering the Leafs and play off games (most play off games didn't include the Leafs), I love the tradition and the Canadiana aspect, but I think it's time they found someone new, I find it hard to watch while listening to his many mistakes and oddly phrased descriptions and mental lapses, I find myself watching another play- off game just to avoid his commentary

a great hockey guy, but anyone else share the same opinion? or disagree?

Agreed. It used to be super-brutal when it was him and Greg Millen (who is a complete moron). For the most part they have both been shifted. Jim Hughson and Craig Simpson are the main dudes now for Eastern games, and who cares about out west.

I love TSN's coverage and hate Sportsnet's coverage (of regular season games, they are Leaf TV on main cable).

Bob Cole and Don Cherry need to be put out to pasture.

On a separate note, when my kid watches video of Gretzky's goals he says "Dad, I could have scored on those goalies, they were crap". There is tomorrow's fan for you. It is time to stop giving air time to guys that keep referring back to players and play that have been dead longer than most young people have been alive.

What the hell does Darren Pang or Greg Millen know about the game today?

Thanks for the opportunity to vent.

Jim

Agreed. It used to be super-brutal when it was him and Greg Millen (who is a complete moron). For the most part they have both been shifted. Jim Hughson and Craig Simpson are the main dudes now for Eastern games, and who cares about out west.

I love TSN's coverage and hate Sportsnet's coverage (of regular season games, they are Leaf TV on main cable).

Bob Cole and Don Cherry need to be put out to pasture.

On a separate note, when my kid watches video of Gretzky's goals he says "Dad, I could have scored on those goalies, they were crap". There is tomorrow's fan for you. It is time to stop giving air time to guys that keep referring back to players and play that have been dead longer than most young people have been alive.

What the hell does Darren Pang or Greg Millen know about the game today?

Thanks for the opportunity to vent.

Jim

Well then what does Craig Simpson know? He is not that much older than Pang and Millen.

Anything is better then the announcers on VS....

I really don't need the announcers to tell me what's going on in the game..

Nothing will ever come close to the Bob Cole/Harry Neal combo on CBC for Hockey Night in Canada.

Two of the greats for sure.

I really miss Harry Neale. He made me laugh countless times. Some people just have that. I liked him with Joe Bowen, they had a great chemistry.

As for Bob Cole, give the man some credit. When Foster Hewitt was calling the summit series on television Bob Cole was calling it on radio. The man has been doing it for a long time, and with class. There is a certain way a hockey game should be called, the way in which the commentator adds to the game by following the tensity level of the play with his voice. Bob Cole had that in spades for 35 years. He did not draw to much attention to himself either, he just called the game. I wish some of the guys out there now would just call the game, but they are way too interested selling themselves and not the game.

Raise your glass to Bob Cole, he might not be bringing his A game at 77 years old but we will miss him when he is gone.

And nope your kid could not score on those goalies.

Hey Radnine, if you think those guys are bad you should listen to some of the guys that TSN picks-up from the states when then use the feed from the home team. Truly sad, and completely one-sided.

Very home team biased,sorta like baseball.We have Craig laughlinand Joe Beninati rootin my Caps on the local channals.Craig is from the Great White North but played with the Caps in the mid 80's.He was not pleased with the Habs fans booing the American national anthem last night.The Caps fans didn't boo the Canadian National anthem the first two games of the series.I wil say that y'alls anthem sounds better and sings easier than ours but ours shouldn't be booood just because you dont like our hockey team.

Joe

Very home team biased,sorta like baseball.We have Craig laughlinand Joe Beninati rootin my Caps on the local channals.Craig is from the Great White North but played with the Caps in the mid 80's.He was not pleased with the Habs fans booing the American national anthem last night.The Caps fans didn't boo the Canadian National anthem the first two games of the series.I wil say that y'alls anthem sounds better and sings easier than ours but ours shouldn't be booood just because you dont like our hockey team.

Joe

More to do with politics I'm afraid than the hockey team and them hab fans....albeit not all of them can be classless! It's the separatist thing....I'm pretty sure most other rinks in canada wouldn't boo any anthem other than perhaps a middle east one. Cheers!

Hey Radnine, if you think those guys are bad you should listen to some of the guys that TSN picks-up from the states when then use the feed from the home team. Truly sad, and completely one-sided.

How about the fact that the guys that they bring on are always cement heads? Matt Barnaby, Tie Domi, Bob Clarke, etc.

Well then what does Craig Simpson know? He is not that much older than Pang and Millen.

Agreed. I never said he was good, just that he is the go to guy now (for better or worse)

Jim

Hockey would be more enjoyable if they even just got rid of that bombastic ass Cherry. And if i never hear "Holy mackinaw" again it will be too soon. I was just commenting to my wife last night that if you were listening to the game on the radio with these same announcers it would look a lot different in your head that what I was seeing on tv. They make so many blunders and miscalls that are just ignored. Of course that could describe the refs too. Is the game getting too fast for them all?

JF

Hockey would be more enjoyable if they even just got rid of that bombastic ass Cherry.

I agree 100%. Coaches corner for me is pee break,snack break or beverage break. And I make sure it is over before I return to the TV.

Cole too. I can't believe the number of mistakes he makes.

Both icons of our great game. But both should be put out to pasture.

I hope that if I ever get to that stage of embarrassing myself, Debbe takes me aside and says "Honey its time to let the kids take over the reins".

The only good thing that came from the NHL strike a number of years ago was that we did'nt have to listen to "Pierre McQuire". I wish NBC would sign him exclusively, and leave TSN. I was wondering if Pierre sends his recipients of his "McQuires Monster" a little trophy? I am sure Malkin, or Whoever, gives a rats ass about being one of his "Monsters" HA

JTF

I have felt the same way for about 6 years now, he makes ALOT of errors in his calling of the game, especially players names. Too bad great announcer.

Still not as great as Dick Irvin tho, now I am showing my age.

They need to get the guy that does the major junior games. He started as the Belleville Bulls announcer many years ago....... Just cant remember his name.

I have felt the same way for about 6 years now, he makes ALOT of errors in his calling of the game, especially players names. Too bad great announcer.

They need to get the guy that does the major junior games. He started as the Belleville Bulls announcer many years ago....... Just cant remember his name.

I think they should bring in Keith Jones......you see him there sometimes...why not get him in the game so to speak! the guy knows hockey, has played it, and Jonesey sure can call it!!

My vote is for the "Brantford" boy...Keith Jones!!

I get a kick out of him. I clearly remember a bit of banter Bob and Harry had a while back

"Ever see hockey gloves as short as they are right now?"

"No, worms could bite your wrist if you were digging in the garden"

I am one to vote that Pierre McGuire is never allowed near a World Juniors broadcast in any capacity again.

They were good...and like anything had there moment in the sun, and will definitly be icons never to forget, however...its time. Jim Hughson and Craig Simpson IMO are great....Jim is fantastic at calling games...its too bad that the Bruin/Sabre series has Greg Millen and Dean Brown WHO?? Brown makes Millen sound like Foster Hewitt.

As for McGuire...not worth even mentioning...Giant bag of loser he is..he can ruin a hockey game, just by being present. How no NHL player has driven the puck into his little cubical between the benches is beyond me.

Give me Bob Cole over most. Although I do like Jimmy Hughson and Chris Cutherberson who use to do hockey night in canada late game. I think he is with TSN but often times they have Gord Miller and that boob McGuire doing games.

Funny, but I don't really mind Pierre. I could live without his monsters, "top shelf", and a few other catchy little expressions he uses, but he catches a lot of little things in the play from his little hidey hole at ice level. My wife hates listening to him, but then she always leaves the game at 7:30 to watch Jeopardy so what does she know?

JF

Rob Faulds?