Tube Jig Rod

MCTFisher9120

Well here I go again lol. So, so far I've put two great rods into my new collection of bass rods/reels. Next is a spinning rod. Looking through my tackle bag I saw and remembered how much I loved to fish tube for weed edge largies and smallies. I'm looking into a fairly expensive rod and the reel will most likely be a Stradic CI4 2500...I'm just not to sure on the rod to get in a few weeks. IMO a 6'6-6'8 M action rod is all I should need. I had a older bob izumi rod that was a 6'6 and i liked it but with a old spinning reel it felt heavy..aka sold the setup.

Contacted Gloomis to see what they recommended for a rod of this technique. Will gladly buy a Crucial if I can get some help on certain rods to go and hold/get a feel for. Just shoot some rod's I should have a read over and examine. Fished with 12lb mono and didnt like the stretch so much so perhaps 12lb fluorocarbon would be nice on a tube jig rod.

Will be fishing tubes from 3/16oz-3/8oz...nothing heavier or lighter.

Hope to hear some more good feedback!

Thanks,

MTBF

Hey Mike, it depends on the cover you're fishing tubes in. If you have a combo for heavy cover bass fishing already then maybe get something a little lighter for your spinning combo. I use a seven foot medium action rod when fishing tubes around rocks etc for smallies and like it. If you get into dropshotting it can double as a nice dropshot rod as well.

I personally dont throw tubes on anything less than 7' I even have two 7'6 rods to throw them on. I use 15lbs power pro with a fluoro leader usually.

As for reels, you cant go wrong with a CI4, even a regular stradic.

Rods, there are a ton of options. St. Croix Avid, Shimano Crucial, the G Loomis Bronzeback in a 7'4M is a wicked tube rod. Even BPS new CarbonLite series has some decent rods for a round 119.99, and BPS Johnny Morris series for around 200 are amazing rods.

Well here I go again lol. So, so far I've put two great rods into my new collection of bass rods/reels. Next is a spinning rod. Looking through my tackle bag I saw and remembered how much I loved to fish tube for weed edge largies and smallies. I'm looking into a fairly expensive rod and the reel will most likely be a Stradic CI4 2500...I'm just not to sure on the rod to get in a few weeks. IMO a 6'6-6'8 M action rod is all I should need. I had a older bob izumi rod that was a 6'6 and i liked it but with a old spinning reel it felt heavy..aka sold the setup.

Contacted Gloomis to see what they recommended for a rod of this technique. Will gladly buy a Crucial if I can get some help on certain rods to go and hold/get a feel for. Just shoot some rod's I should have a read over and examine. Fished with 12lb mono and didnt like the stretch so much so perhaps 12lb fluorocarbon would be nice on a tube jig rod.

Will be fishing tubes from 3/16oz-3/8oz...nothing heavier or lighter.

Hope to hear some more good feedback!

Thanks,

MTBF

I would consider a Stradic 2500 MGFB if you can find one. Cheaper than the CI4 and IMO it feels smoother when I've compared them at the shop. For the rod I'd get a 6'6 or 6'8 St. Croix Legend Tournament or Avid spinning rod in a ML.

Edited by scugog

I would consider a Stradic 2500 MGFB if you can find one. Cheaper than the CI4 and IMO it feels smoother when I've compared them at the shop. For the rod I'd get a 6'6 or 6'8 St. Croix Legend Tournament or Avid spinning rod in a ML.

What does IMO mean? sorry for the stupid question. I'm still drunk from last night.

Mike, don't put 12 lb fluoro on a spinning reel... it will drive you to drink! Take Steve's recommendation and run 15 lb braid with a 12-14 lb fluoro leader.

Try to find a 7 to 7'2" tube rod that is at minimum Medium Power with fast action to Medium Heavy with fast or extra fast action.

If you want to save some dough and get an awesome tube rod for the money look for a Compre 7' Medium, Extra Fast one piece. If you're looking to drop, go with a Cumara 7'2" MH.

On the Loomis side I use the Mossyback 7'1" Senko spinning rod BSR852 MossyBack, it's a Medium with Extra Fast action. It's performed incredibly both in deep and shallow water.

JP

Mike, don't put 12 lb fluoro on a spinning reel... it will drive you to drink! Take Steve's recommendation and run 15 lb braid with a 12-14 lb fluoro leader.

Try to find a 7 to 7'2" tube rod that is at minimum Medium Power with fast action to Medium Heavy with fast or extra fast action.

If you want to save some dough and get an awesome tube rod for the money look for a Compre 7' Medium, Extra Fast one piece. If you're looking to drop, go with a Cumara 7'2" MH.

On the Loomis side I use the Mossyback 7'1" Senko spinning rod BSR852 MossyBack, it's a Medium with Extra Fast action. It's performed incredibly both in deep and shallow water.

JP

Hmm, thanks for the feedback JP. I like the idea of the Compre...maybe that with a 2500 Saros F would do the trick. As for line, I'll give it a try. I guess the sensitivity and no stretch would be great with tubes.

Thanks for your feedback guys,

Mike

I remember reading on another enthusiast fishing forum that where the reels are manufactured is different and the tolerances might not be the same. My new stradic fi does not feel that smooth (compared to other reels in the same price range) to me but I bet it will be much smoother after a fishing trip or two. I'm guessing it just needs to be broken in and I'm also looking for a better lube for it.

From the reviews I've read CI4 and stradic fi made in Malaysia, MGFB made in Japan.

I use a 2500 Stradic on a 7' Compre with 15lb fireline and a nice long fluoro leader. You'll get absolutely no complaints from me on this setup.

I use this set up as well (except with a Diawa 2500, and a 7' Cabalas rod) but the line weights are bang on.

I personally think it is a marketers dream that we start to buy rods and reels for specific baits. I mean groups of baits, or fish size, or fishing methods, sure, but I don't want to put that picture in my head that a certain set up is for a certain bait (meaning if tubes re not working, I want to throw on a senko without thinking that I have the wrong tool for the job, ya know?)

I think that the above mentioned set up is good for lots of uses.

Jim

i would go with the lower end st. croix rods they are really nice and not to much money you can get the triuph for 90 bucks

I agree with the low end St. Croix rods. I have four of them now and they have been great(and you can get them for way cheaper than 90 bones)

Jim

Where??

Well, not in the Algoma region probably.

I bought two on the weekend for 20% off of 74.00, so $59.20. This was for two med. 7 footers.

But the next model up (the USA made models) were also 20% and the base price was about $110?

This was in Hamilton, at Bill's B&T. (Even got two free St.Croix hats!)

Jim

I agree with Radnine, its a marketers dream to have you buy a stick for every specific types of fishing. Don't get me wrong when your flipping largemouth or fishing musky you need the appropriate gear but vertical jigging and dropshotting and any other finesse fishing can be done with one rod maybe two. My fishing partner probably has 30 rods and reels at 4 to 500.00 a pop and he doesn't catch any more fish than I do, but he's always in my terminal tackle looking for something. Wonder why, hehe.

for an extra 10 bucks u can get a st croix mojo rod, and they have a technique specific tube rod. i personally use a 7' medium power fast action Backwoods rod. custom made but the price is very good compared to most custom hand made rods. paired up with a quantum energy PTi20 spinning reel, 15lb spiderwire stealth and a 10-12lb flouro leader

In-Fisherman magazine just had an article about some technique specific rods for smallmouth tactics (Feb 2010). They listed 2 rod/reel combos that they like for dragging tubes and football heads: Combo 1, Kistler He69MHS rod and Shimano Symetre 2500FJ. Combo 2, Fenwick Elite Tech ECR70MH-F rod and Abu Garcia Soron SX60

I know virtually squat about these two set-ups, but there is a little bit more info to mull over.

Edited by kickingfrog

You can wrap a pile of line around a tip-up and drag tubes. To suggest any combo is better than another is a matter of personal opinion. Like someone else mentioned, I also use that particular setup for grubs, soft twitchbaits, and my favourite for spring pike(sub the fluoro for a quality steel leader). Awesome jerkbait setup.

You can wrap a pile of line around a tip-up and drag tubes. To suggest any combo is better than another is a matter of personal opinion. Like someone else mentioned, I also use that particular setup for grubs, soft twitchbaits, and my favourite for spring pike(sub the fluoro for a quality steel leader). Awesome jerkbait setup.

EXACTLY! no one combo is superior to all others. its all a matter of personal preference! asking what lenght, power, line, etc. is fine, u'll get a proper answer, with some varying degree of length, line weight, because someone likes a longer rod, someone likes a shorter rod and so on. but u'll get the main point. asking for a brand on any forum is totally pointless. all u will get is guys pushing the brand THEY like. one guy will say shimano this loomis that... the next guys will say st croix legend tournament rods with ardent reels. someone else will say quantum rods and reels. is any one of them better then the other? some say yes, some say no, personally they will all do the same job, at varying prices ranges.

i use quantum reels, i love them. very smooth and reliable. great drag in them, and they look great. not a fan of shimano, but i own 2 citica's and they are great. abu garcia... hate them, didnt like the reels, customer service from them was horrible, same with shimano the times i dealt with them.

go grab a few rods and reels u like, in the price range u want... and make a decision based on what works best for u.

I just finished putting together my tube jig rod on saturday. I bought the 7'MH Carbonlite rod and just went out and picked up the Pflueger Surpreme 8035. The setup is very light and provides plently of strength. Also this Pflueger reel is extremely smooth. I've never spoken to someone who ownes one that complained about it. I can't wait to hit the water and put it to the test.