OFCOURSE !!! Motor problems !

Lunker777

Hey everyone,

Last night was the night to get the boat ready to go. I put the motor on, filled up the garbage can with water and tried to fire it up. Well after a few pulls it fired up but I noticed no water coming out ? I shut it off right away.... Now when I put it away last fall, the water pump was working fine. The motor sat in the Garage over the winter, its a heated garage !

Now I did drain the bottom end of the motor and it sat that way till last night when I put the fresh oil in. But I dont think that would have anything to do with the water pump would it ?

The motor is a Mercury 18XD tiller.

Thanks for any help !

Hey everyone,

Last night was the night to get the boat ready to go. I put the motor on, filled up the garbage can with water and tried to fire it up. Well after a few pulls it fired up but I noticed no water coming out ? I shut it off right away.... Now when I put it away last fall, the water pump was working fine. The motor sat in the Garage over the winter, its a heated garage !

Now I did drain the bottom end of the motor and it sat that way till last night when I put the fresh oil in. But I dont think that would have anything to do with the water pump would it ?

Thanks for any help !

Before you go and replace the impellar take it to the lake and try it with the boat still on the trailer, sometimes it can't suck enough water to make it work i found this out on my 05 50 h.p merc,garbage can no flow, ears no flow ,in the lake perfect! try it first then check the impellar.

no that had nothing to do with it.

when you change the impeller you dont have to drain the oil cause it sits above the lower end.

but leaving it empty is not a good idea cause it can and will start to rust inside the lower end.

did you take the water hose off of the tell tail spout and blow threw it to see if it is blocked?

when you blow into the hose you should have lots of air bubbles in the garabage pail.

in thats good then check the tell tail spout to see if its blocked.

if its not blocked, then start the motor back up and wait a minute to see if the water comes out , it might take 30 seconds or so.

if stillno water then you should change the impeller.

it is not hard to do.

Do you have a compressor? If so, blow some air in the hole as a spider may have gotten in there and it is clogging the hole. Go get a set of “earmuffs” as well as that works much better then the garbage can.

Thanks for the advice !

I went and picked up a set of muffs last night. So I am going to try that tonight. I will also try and blow through the hose ! I figured that maybe a spider had gotten up in there or something. I cant remember 100% but im almost positive that I had the impeller changed this time last year.

Had the same problem with my 2002 115 Merc last year. Spider web was completely blocking the port. Took it inot the marina thinking I needed a new impeller. A good blast from an air compressor fixed it right away. Compressed ait may not be strong enough depending on where the blockage is. Mine was in the lower end and pretty big from what the tech told me.

You have to let it warm up a bit, some (or all motor) have a thermostat that has to reach a certain temp. to open up. Or you might have to rev up the engine a bit to get it to open. I am not a mechanic but I had a Merc 20hp that did the same thing , a bit of revving and it started peeing.

Edited by wallyboss

Hey everyone,

Thanks for any help !

I think I found your problem........Console rules

Art

When's the last time you changed the impeller? It should be changed regularly, once every 3 years (max). An impeller failure at WOT will fry the engine very quickly...sometimes before the overheat warning buzzer is heard. And leaving the lower unit dry is NOT a good idea.

Edited by Gerry

i get her "pissing" on the muffs...

1975, 150HP merc

Don't fall into a false sense of security just because it works on the muffs - thats pressurized water being forced through the system, the impeller could still be too weak to draw from the intake. Keep a close eye when you launch - if it ain't working (peeing) within about 30 seconds shut her down and change the impeller - make sure you use all the parts that come in the kit for your particular motor even if the old ones "seem" good or you'll be doing it again in short order.

(in other words, learn from my mistake - I found out the hard way!)

Michael