Lurkers Lectures

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

For the second time in as many months someone has joined the forum for the sole purpose of lecturing me on posting reports which they feel are too revealing because of my "hero shots". What gives? I generally post pics of me with beached fish or closeups of fish etc... if you can identify a river by seeing a fish, a few spruce trees and some rocks then wouldn't you already KNOW where that spot it? Can I do anything to deter people from continuing to bust my balls over this? It's a real deterrent to posting future reports when I have to take flack all the time.

Hi Doc:

I am not sure if my input is what you are wanting to hear... but living in Southern Ontario is a bugger sometimes when t comes to posting identifiable features on waterways.

In the short 4 years I have been fishing, it is disgusting at how many times some places are over run with ppl that "heard about this spot on the net".

Not living in the Sault, I don't recognize any of the places u fish. That is not the case down here in our VERY populated regions.

I wonder if some of the "lecturers" know the region where you reside in?

Your posts are always informing and a beautiful trip for some of us to take,,,, PLEASE don;t stop posting... this member appreciates your adventures vicariously .

Sincerely

Splashhopper

For the second time in as many months someone has joined the forum for the sole purpose of lecturing me on posting reports which they feel are too revealing because of my "hero shots". What gives? I generally post pics of me with beached fish or closeups of fish etc... if you can identify a river by seeing a fish, a few spruce trees and some rocks then wouldn't you already KNOW where that spot it? Can I do anything to deter people from continuing to bust my balls over this? It's a real deterrent to posting future reports when I have to take flack all the time.

The way you feel is probably the same reason why we don't see more reports.

I love your reports dude, keep 'em comin' and screw the haters.

Edited by Dozer

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

apparently it's not "giving away the location"...

it's promoting steelheading on lake superior in general that bugs this GUIDE...

:asshat:

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

you better watch out bill! i saw that report you posted today! i'm hopping in my car today! all i need to do is drive around and find the background that appears in your photo!

I believe it's time OFC started a sub-forum just for reports, and like many other forums, it should be viewable only by the members. Let the lurkers read the posts about repairing outboards, seminars by tv fishing hosts, how to cook an easter turkey, why my toilet doesn't work, where to store your boat, how to build a deer blind, how thieves can steal your money from a bank machine, happy birthday wishes, and pictures of vintage motorcycles. They will either join the forum and eventually become contributing members or find another place to poach fishing spots.

Edited by jediangler

Well, the way I see it is its not the spot that catches the fish. I can send 10 guys to a spot I fish, and only a couple of them will manage to figure out how to catch the fish there. Don't worry about it bud, you should mention this guides name so every one knows what a tool he is :clapping:

S.

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

Don't worry about it bud, you should mention this guides name so every one knows what a tool he is :clapping:

S.

anonymous - although it was suggested that i "might be surprised" by who it is. not sure what that means.

I feel your pain Dr Salvelinus.

It just seems we have to put up with a handful

of righteous members who have nothing better to do...

I wish they would go fishing and stop harassing

the ones who are on this site for what it was

originally intended for, sharing their fishing adventures.

I think most of the people complaining about the reports are the ones that show up, expecting a slam and only witness everyone else around them catching fish. Same thing with steelheading.. Someone makes a report, people get their panties in a bunch, drive to the river, catch squat then blame the reports because of it.

You ever wonder why the same guys go to the same river and catch fish regardless? It's got nothing to do with internet fishing reports I'll tell you that.

I believe it's time OFC started a sub-forum just for reports, and like many other forums, it should be viewable only by the members. Let the lurkers read the posts about repairing outboards, seminars by tv fishing hosts, how to cook an easter turkey, why my toilet doesn't work, where to store your boat, how to build a deer blind, how thieves can steal your money from a bank machine, happy birthday wishes, and pictures of vintage motorcycles. They will either join the forum and eventually become contributing members or find another place to poach fishing spots.

I totally agree...have a members only forum!!!!!

So people will join up only to lurker the members forum....

If anything you need to have a certain amount of posts in order to view the members forum...100-200 or something similar.

That would weed out the lurkers for sure.

I totally agree...have a members only forum!!!!!

When they are trying to become a member they should have to contribute 15 or twenty posts before actually being able to view the members only forum.

A lot of them will give up at this point if they are just looking for a spot to fish that day.

This guide sure is greedy....Almost as much as the RLTA!

Anyways, I say continue with the pictures! I for sure don't know where your pictures are from, but I enjoy those pictures much more than those that have swirly backgrounds and such!

So people will join up only to lurker the members forum....

If anything you need to have a certain amount of posts in order to view the members forum...100-200 or something similar.

That would weed out the lurkers for sure.

Absolutely...100 would be a good number to start with...anybody that takes the time to make at least that many posts, would (hopefully) be worthy of member status!

Don't pay attention to the haters, your reports are great!

You're right that anybody who can recognize the river based on a picture of it already knows there are fish there.

Also, anybody who would send you a critical e-mail without identifying themselves isn't worth listening to in the first place.

im confused.

how does a new member post 100-200 posts if they can not read any posts?

they cant ask any questions cause they cant read the replies.

they cant answer any posts cause they cant read them.

this is why there are administrators & moderators.

if they see a problem they deal with it right then.

if they dont see the problem (PM) you need to let them know.

BTW Dr. Salvelinus, keep those posts coming, 6000+ enjoy them.