Lurkers Lectures

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

I can do both: go to total lock down in an instant and do long drifts…Not sure if you have the skill yet to do it though :whistling::P

I never suggested that only newbies and pros can use spinning reels...Quite the opposite...Given practice and ingenuity, anyone can achieve the same results. On top of that, you also have the versatility to switch up to lure chucking or bottom bouncing.

For long drifts with the spinning reel, I usually have an open bail and feather the line as it comes off the spool to control the speed at which line flows off the reel – You can also control speed at which line goes off the spool by varying the distance at which your finger is away from the lip of the spool…I almost always cast directly across from me or slightly downstream. In faster flows I sometimes cast a few feet upstream to ensure my bait is close to bottom throughout most of the drift (but never enough to not be in contact with the float). Manipulate the angle of your rod to control slack and lightly mend if required (similar to trotting a float with a pin)...Continue on with the drift for however far you want to fish. The limper the line, the easier it is to do (6-8lb Silver Thread is my favourite). As with centrepins the longer the rod, the easier it is to do. Should a fish take the bait, trap the line against the spool with your index finger and set the hook (At least that’s how I do it) – Close the bail and proceed to fight the fish.

You may question “don’t you lose fish when you gotta go through all those steps especially when you have to close the bail?” I personally don’t…Usually when you hook a fish, they usually headshake for a bit which gives you enough time to close the bail and reel in whatever minimal slack there may be. The 6.1 ratio on my Stradic makes it easy (Especially with a 4000 size reel).

One other method which I’ve seen was with BBNotty’s son. He manipulated his drift by opening and closing the bait to create a seamless drag free drift – He also controls slack on the water by adjusting the angle of his rod and casts across or only very slightly upstream to make sure his offering is down near bottom throughout the drift. The day I fished with him, he actually did end of catching 95% of the fish out of all the anglers that day which were almost all pinners.LOL

There are a few different ways to get a good long distance drag free float. Pick one that you’re comfortable with and practice.

Why do I use a float reel?

- It’s fun to use and more efficient than a spinning reel

- My first ever centrepin (a 3.75" Hardy Silex replica) was given to me for free as a kid by my early steelheading mentors who were English (and also machinists). They made it for me and taught me how to use it at no charge

- My $800 custom AngSpec was also free (Why not use it?)

Why don’t I use a spinning reel for float fishing 100% of the time?

- As I said, a float reel is fun to use and efficient

- I do use a spinning reel when it’s blowing more than 25 clicks

- I do use a spinning reel off the pier for chucking spoons

- I do use a spinning reel to bottom bounce. Usually use either a 9-11ft Med-light or med action rod for fast water or an old 10'6" noodle rod in slower or shallower water as seen in the background of this picture)...Sometimes fish spook from the sight of even clear floats...Gotta adapt.

IMG_4153.jpg

- I do use a spinning reel to toss spinners (Usually with a 7ft Shimano Compre spinning rod as seen in this picture)

20080426011.jpg

- From time to time, I still do take a spinning reel out to float fish with if there's only enough room for 1 reel in my bag (I was a poor university student at one time who had to take the bus everywhere - 2000 Stradic matched with an old 13' Loomis...float fish, bottom bounced and spinner fished with it depending on what stretch of river I happened to be fishing as well as the conditions)

IMGP0577.jpg

My 2000 and 4000 Shimano stradics get a good work out during the season.

I like variety so I also fly fish and swing large streamers for steel but I guess that wasn't part of the question...

20060430034.jpg

As an aside

Why don't I use a spinning reel + 13ft rod 100% of the time?

I wouldn't mind getting stuck using a spinning reel...A 13ft rod however might be a great choice for float fishing, it isn't always the best tool for the job for other steelheading disciplines(In case you may be wondering)...For my fishing, I worry more about the action and physical abilities of the rod I'm using than the reel...But that's just me...Anyone who fishes with me knows I use whatever tactics work the best for the conditions given...And No float fishing isn't always the best.

In my opinion, learning a variety of different skills makes you a better angler...Of course that's just my opinion.

That net in the background....is that what you use to land? just curious...do you keep or release?

but I believe you said in drifting situations you use a centre pin unless the wind is over 25km/h...correct? I understand why...the line blowing off the pin is a pain in the ass if you dont know how to control it...

and again...every single post you have made here has been about centrepins and teaching your buddies to use a centre pin? notwithstanding your carp posts....which incidently are Awesome on a pin as well ;)

In addition...just because you decided to use a flyrod or ot bottom bounce on that particular day doesnt make it more effective....it just means you have a lot more time to mess around,..lol......ive seen you on the rivers several times with nothing other than a centre pin... :)

What’s your point? Jim Butler has never seen me with anything other than a 7ft spinning rod on our local rivers tossing spinners. Henry Lee from Cobourg hasn’t seen me use a float combo since I was a teen opting to use his custom wooden plugs or flutter spoons instead in the trench. They spend tons more time on the rivers than either you or I (Though last spring and fall I was out 4-6 times a week before work, after work, nights and weekends – Fishing was too good to pass up)

I’m certainly not limited to just using spinning reels when it gets windy…That’s my point. I can use a spinning reel pretty much everywhere I use a centrepin plus more (at least in terms of efficiency for bottom bouncing and lure chucking). If you re-read my original post, I mentioned that for sheer versatility, the spinning reel is the way to go.

As far as teaching newbies to use a pin on the river and answering questions for people who post them on a forum; they’re the ones asking for help. Centrepins are a sexy topic on the net…More people talk about them for steelhead on this board – Basic statistics. The more people who ask about which centrepins and float rods to get, the more I will reply to them with my own opinions…If someone’s asking about what spinning reel to get for steelhead, I tell them what spinning reel I recommend. I’m certainly not the one telling them they need to get a pin to catch more steelhead :whistling:

From what I gather, the last few posts of yours revolves on trying to prove the hypocrisy amongst anglers who use centrepins VS not using spinning reels…We get it…I prefer to use a centrepin for float fishing because of its efficiency and fun factor (As I stated in my 2nd post – I’m sure others feel the same way). It certainly doesn’t mean I’m a slave to the pin when I want to catch a lot of fish. I’ve always felt it was the angler who catches the fish, not the tackle. Tackle only enhances the skills and knowledge an angler already possess. Great anglers IMO are flexible, adaptive and receptive to new ideas regardless of the tackle they use.

It’s obvious that your perspectives on float fishing are based on a limited knowledge base and experience. You have no idea what you’re missing out on. With that said, you can pick away at various small points of my posts and selectively ignore or fail to consider others as you have done…From my own perspective, a lot of your arguments or points either directed at me or other board members lack substance related to the topic. That’s all I really have to say about that.

You’re an angler who’s obviously passionate about the sport and I respect that…I, like a bunch of other people feel like you’re coming off as arrogant, ignorant and unwilling to accept new ideas

As far as the net goes…That one’s Victors…He felt more comfortable using a net than tailing it (or at least trying to multiple times). I’ve never harvested a steelhead in the 20yrs I’ve fished for them. I don’t believe in killing fish just for roe or keeping for the sake of keeping…But that’s just me.

Wow that was a waste of time! interesting how stuborn you are about the centerpin fishing Eh SF (milty) is that why your not on floatfishing .net anymore, can't believe how badly you disrespect so many members over such a stupid bull headed opinion .

Edited by SRT8 smoker craft

7 years for a 2 year college diploma that anyone over the age of 21 can walk into without a highschool diploma? Impressive...Lol did you have to do a read and write test,..or just count to ten on your fingers? or 9 ? toes?

As for me,..I got an acutal honors degree in Environmental Science majoring in earth and atmoshpheric and water science. You wouldnt understand the level we go into. Many grads from your program tried to get into mine and got exempted from like 2 courses out of 40,...lol. the whole fisheries/wildlife part was kindof the bird course aspect...where we went to the tanks for the breeding and saw how they added extra dye to the fish to make them more colurful...for commercial operations. kindof like cosmetics...is that what you do?

but seriously,...Environmentally as a whole...the science of the soil, water and air and how we manage that for the ecosphere and human health is very complex...the fish part is relatively easy...hence the bird courses. for a guy working at Mcdonalds,..it may seem difficult or uadmiable...and dont get me wrong...Im glad you guys do what you do...although I have read many many studies and they are very flawed both scientifaically and from a self serving job preservation point of view.

Im not even going to explain the higher level science,..becasue i dont think you will understnad.

Ecology and fishery biology are not hard...you just have conflicting interests to deal with and have to choose when to sell out and when not to.

I work in the alternative green energy development sector...new to North america...but gaining huge strides..Europe is doing well and Ontario is now the next leader in north america. Please just keep stocking my fish...so I can have fun...thank bud!!! by the way..Lose the chinooks, keep up the coho, steelhead, browns and atlantics I guess.

so before making judgments,..either think or ask...

Normally, looking past spelling and grammatical errors on forums is the norm given most are typographical errors; and most often don't hamper the opinion being stated. However, when the gist of that opinion is a statement meant to highlight the supremacy of one persons education then it does seem relevant. In short, if you are going to pen a long winded diatribe making fun of and dismissing the academic achievements of other people while glorifying your own, a passing attention to detail is needed.

Sincerely,

An uneducated, inbred, small town hick.

7 years for a 2 year college diploma that anyone over the age of 21 can walk into without a highschool diploma? Impressive...Lol did you have to do a read and write test,..or just count to ten on your fingers? or (Grammatically incorrect. A sentence needs to begin with a capital letter.) 9 ? toes?

As for me,..I got (This correct word would be received or earned. The word “got” implies it was granted without work or effort.) an actual honors (Spelling) degree in Environmental Science majoring in earth and atmoshpheric (This is not how you spell the word.) and water science. You wouldnt (An apostrophe is needed in order to create a conjunction joining the words would and not.) understand (Grammatically incorrect. A sentence needs to begin with a capital letter. This is also a sentence fragment.) the level we go into. Many grads from your program tried to get into mine and got exempted from like (If you are going to use slang, and you shouldn’t {conjunction!}, it needs to be separated by a comma to be grammatically correct) 2 courses out of 40,...lol. the whole fisheries/wildlife part was kindof (This is not a word.) the bird course aspect...where we went to the tanks for the breeding and saw how they added extra dye to the fish to make them more colurful (This is not how you spell the word) ...for commercial operations. kindof (This is not a word.) like cosmetics...is that what you do?

but seriously(Grammatically incorrect. A sentence needs to begin with a capital letter.) ,...Environmentally as a whole...the science of the soil, water and air and how we manage that for the ecosphere and human health is very complex...the fish part is relatively easy...hence the bird courses. for (Grammatically incorrect. A sentence needs to begin with a capital letter.) a guy working at Mcdonalds,..it may seem difficult or uadmiable (This is not a word.)...and dont (An apostrophe is needed in order to create a conjunction.) get me wrong...Im (An apostrophe is needed in order to create a conjunction.) glad you guys do what you do...although I have read many many (If you are going to double up on the word “many” to sell your point there needs to be a comma between them otherwise it reads as a redundancy.) studies and they are very flawed both scientifaically (This is not how you spell the word.) and from a self serving (“Self-serving” should be hyphenated in this instance.) job preservation point of view.

Im(An apostrophe is needed in order to create a conjunction.) not even going to explain the higher level science,..becasue (This is not how you spell the word.) i ( “I” in the singular needs to be capitalized.) dont (An apostrophe is needed in order to create a conjunction.) think you will understnad. (This is not how you spell the word.)

Ecology and fishery biology are not hard...you just have conflicting interests to deal with and have to choose when to sell out and when not to.

I work in the alternative green energy development sector...new to North america (America should be capitalized.)...but gaining huge strides..Europe is doing well and Ontario is now the next leader in north america (North America should be capitalized.). Please just keep stocking my fish...so I can have fun...thank (s) bud!!! by the way (Grammatically incorrect. A sentence needs to begin with a capital letter.) ..Lose the chinooks, keep up the coho, steelhead, browns and atlantics I guess.

so (Grammatically incorrect. A sentence needs to begin with a capital letter.) before making judgments,..either think or ask...

regarding the notty...I disagree bigtime...closer to 80% or more use pins... but then again its more of the catch and release guys.

80% or more use pins on the Notty? Are you serious? You must be one of the guys that always shows up at the top of the hole when five guys are already there casting spinners and thinks he has the right of way to drift down 200 yards... By the way I along with many other fisherman would take bottom bouncing over "pinning" on the Notty anyday. I guess unless i had to line up shoulder to shoulder with all the other yahoos down at the beach and get in the "drift"...

I just spent an hour at work reading what was added after I went to bed last night :wallbash: This is the funniest thread I have seen in a long time.

I am coming north next week and according to Stonefly I will have to talk slower when I get up there :asshat:

I just spent an hour at work reading what was added after I went to bed last night :wallbash: This is the funniest thread I have seen in a long time.

I am coming north next week and according to Stonefly I will have to talk slower when I get up there :asshat:

River fishermen are a different bunch it seems, sorta like goalies!!