Lurkers Lectures

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

I was at another fishing forum where the fishing reports are separated from the main forum. The only way to access the fishing reports is to submit a detailed fishing report of your own. When your fishing report is approved by the mods then you are granted access to the others fishing reports. Also noticed the fishing reports were subdivided geographically for easy reference.

Edited by Syn

im confused.

how does a new member post 100-200 posts if they can not read any posts?

they cant ask any questions cause they cant read the replies.

they cant answer any posts cause they cant read them.

We are talking about a sub forum where fishing reports would go.... So instead of posting reports in the main forum, they'd go into a 'members' forum..

In order to read this forum you'd need 100-200 posts..

This is done on one particular forum I visit and works pretty well.

I think most of the people complaining about the reports are the ones that show up, expecting a slam and only witness everyone else around them catching fish. Same thing with steelheading.. Someone makes a report, people get their panties in a bunch, drive to the river, catch squat then blame the reports because of it.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :rofl2:

anonymous - although it was suggested that i "might be surprised" by who it is. not sure what that means.

Keep postin' Sal, you are a smart guy I enjoy reading and learning from your posts.

If this "guide" in town here is worth a damn at all he shouldn't need to rely on a couple spots that some scrawny fish geek frequents :rolleyes::P Kidding...

Seems to me theres alot of white trash hunters/fisherman in our town that no nothing about the sports, just know a few hot spots they stumbled on...when they find them they try and brag about their "secret lake".

Pretty pathetic if you ask me.

I think most of the people complaining about the reports are the ones that show up, expecting a slam and only witness everyone else around them catching fish. Same thing with steelheading.. Someone makes a report, people get their panties in a bunch, drive to the river, catch squat then blame the reports because of it.

You ever wonder why the same guys go to the same river and catch fish regardless? It's got nothing to do with internet fishing reports I'll tell you that.

I agree with your last Statement...although how often do you catch fish without Solo? or how many did you catch before you met him? Lol...J/K :)

As for Backgrounds,..to each his own,..personally I crop mine out as I have personally witnessed hoards of people the next day at a spot with a background posted when there none the day before. It is true that 90% of the fish are caught by 10% of the anglers,..to a degree...however,..part of that is the intuition to know where to go and when...and its much more rewarding fishing a hole with a couple buddies and not 10 other guys.

I agree with your last Statement...although how often do you catch fish without Solo? or how many did you catch before you met him? Lol...J/K :)

As for Backgrounds,..to each his own,..personally I crop mine out as I have personally witnessed hoards of people the next day at a spot with a background posted when there none the day before. It is true that 90% of the fish are caught by 10% of the anglers,..to a degree...however,..part of that is the intuition to know where to go and when...and its much more rewarding fishing a hole with a couple buddies and not 10 other guys.

I changed the background in my most recent report because it was a dead giveaway as to where we were. And honestly if we are down in PA or OH I really couldn't care less. If guys are going to make that drive they deserve to catch as many fish as they can. But even you know it could be hot one day and cold the next...

I did pretty good for a rube before I met Mike surprisingly enough. First day out with a pin ever I nailed a shaker out on the 'Geen. Next time I went out with a few of the boys from the board and we did great on a few Lake O east ditches. However my learning curve shot through the roof when I started to fish with Mike. Now anytime I go, I'm fairly confident I'll bank a few regardless if anyone around me is or not.

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

he says he doesn't guide "for profit"...

is this volunteer guiding?

why does someone who lives in the northwest region aka thunder bay travel all the way to wawa to guide then give me balls about my home stretch about lake superior? if you don't like it, stay on your side of the lake buddy.

I changed the background in my most recent report because it was a dead giveaway as to where we were. And honestly if we are down in PA or OH I really couldn't care less. If guys are going to make that drive they deserve to catch as many fish as they can. But even you know it could be hot one day and cold the next...

I did pretty good for a rube before I met Mike surprisingly enough. First day out with a pin ever I nailed a shaker out on the 'Geen. Next time I went out with a few of the boys from the board and we did great on a few Lake O east ditches. However my learning curve shot through the roof when I started to fish with Mike. Now anytime I go, I'm fairly confident I'll bank a few regardless if anyone around me is or not.

"Even I know" lol...yes I know it VERY well...one hour to the next even...there is alot to be said to get fed tips and follow more experienced anglers around,..there something else to be said for using your own intuition and getting into fish everytime as well. ;) For me the later is half the challenge :) Like finding new spots and new holes on your own. Like I said elsewhere, I love sleeping in,..and as the crowd clears out becasue the bite hasnt turned on yet,..then showing up with the river relatively to yourself and they ALWAYS turn on,..its just a matter of what you do...another part I love is watching a dozen guys walk right past a spot,..that may not look like a hole,..then jump down and nail a fish first drift....or walk up on a roe pressured hole and drop in a nymph and slam a fish first drift...ahhhhhhhhhhh Steelheading....its different everytime...and so many options and intracacy's....gotta love it!!!

Everytime out is an education. Bit after a while you start to figure things out on your own, which is always good. I hit the Credit last year all by my lonesome and cleaned up pretty well... Just gotta apply the knowledge you've learned. And don't get me wrong, there are days when I get absolutely skunked and my buddies do fairly well. The best part is learning why you didn't catch any fish, change it up, go back and lay a beating on them.. Now THAT is a great feeling.

We did a fair bit of 'educating the locals' on Friday, that's for sure, lol.

Everytime out is an education. Bit after a while you start to figure things out on your own, which is always good. I hit the Credit last year all by my lonesome and cleaned up pretty well... Just gotta apply the knowledge you've learned. And don't get me wrong, there are days when I get absolutely skunked and my buddies do fairly well. The best part is learning why you didn't catch any fish, change it up, go back and lay a beating on them.. Now THAT is a great feeling.

We did a fair bit of 'educating the locals' on Friday, that's for sure, lol.

I think if I stopped learning, it would lose something for me...Everyone gets skunked at some point, especially if you just are heading out to get out...sometimes there just arent any fish,..lol. I think Mid-Notty in the early spring is a good example...with the stretch being so long and the dynamics of that river and how high it can go and how long it takes to clear out,..the runs could be anywhere...I think only 2 points will give you as close to a guarentee as possible in the spring and one of them is off lmits,..the mouth area with the right conditions....and then the dam at nicolston...totally closed right now...but sure fun to watch them try to jump it. ;) it seemed to be only the smaller to mid-size fish trying to jump and not even getting close,..maybe the repeaters know the ladder is just to the left,..lol

The Notty is still my nemesis, lol... Takes a while to figure out that river for sure.

Notty is where I learned and exclusively fished the first few years almost never getting skunked...although in the last couple years I gotta admit she has kicked my butt a few times...the flow charts help,..but vis is a tough one in the spring and not always related to levels at all...I find it easier to fish in the fall for sure as its more predicatble. you probably know as much about it as I do,..but your Jedi master Han solo might be able to help you out. ;) If not...Im up for trading spots any old time.

I'm only six hours from Tbay, I hope I never get a hold of that guide when I come up there to fish. I hate to pay for something I can get from my fellow members for free. Keep em coming Doc and don't sweat the small stuff. The world is full of clowns. Maybe you should show us all his spots hehe.

You ever wonder why the same guys go to the same river and catch fish regardless? It's got nothing to do with internet fishing reports I'll tell you that.

I can agree with this to the word. Also, as has been said by a few, the learning is the funnest part. I notice improvements with myself every day trying to pin and it makes me feel much better about the efforts I am putting in to one day be a good steelheader. I know solo told me it is the easiest fish to catch, which I am sure had some sarcasm to it, but once I have the experience he does I hope that I can be as good at it as many of you are.

Dr sal, don't listen to the haters man. As many others have said I really enjoy your posts and videos. Always good to see good people having great days on the water man. Keep em coming.

Shawn

I can agree with this to the word. Also, as has been said by a few, the learning is the funnest part. I notice improvements with myself every day trying to pin and it makes me feel much better about the efforts I am putting in to one day be a good steelheader. I know solo told me it is the easiest fish to catch, which I am sure had some sarcasm to it, but once I have the experience he does I hope that I can be as good at it as many of you are.

Dr sal, don't listen to the haters man. As many others have said I really enjoy your posts and videos. Always good to see good people having great days on the water man. Keep em coming.

Shawn

Shawn, did you get skunked again? I was hoping to see your first post...that said...the lake O north side Fish have either moved up or have been caught several times and with this heat stress and barriers to moving up...better to leave em alone right now....its gonna rain this week which should bring a fresh run..try your luck next weekend...

As for getting as experienced as Han Solo,..Well I think he has been at it over 20 years...so that may take awhile :)

As for Steelhead being the easiest fish to catch...that is true to a degree...when they are on,...they will hit anything with the sloppiest presentation....but when they are aren't,..well you have to get creative...and half the battle is right time right place. ;) After that...the men get seperated from the boys :)

Edited by StoneFly

Saturday morning when me and my boy headed out, it ended up being more of a hike and scenery walk than a fishing excursison. He had a lot of fun though. I am slowly learning to use the charts and follow the weather I think, but it seems to be the hardest part of the learning curve.

I have always been of the belief though that nothing worthwhile is ever easy to learn.

I had an offer from a guide on here that I am most definately going to take up. Just waiting to hear back from him. Till then though, I will live vicariously through all you experienced guys, and wait for all the congratulations when I get into one on my pin :thumbsup_anim:

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

i've been watching flow charts all day and i'm getting a little sweaty right now just thinking about it. things are looking good.

Don't pay attention to the haters, your reports are great!

You're right that anybody who can recognize the river based on a picture of it already knows there are fish there.

Also, anybody who would send you a critical e-mail without identifying themselves isn't worth listening to in the first place.

here here.......your pics are awesome

Saturday morning when me and my boy headed out, it ended up being more of a hike and scenery walk than a fishing excursison. He had a lot of fun though. I am slowly learning to use the charts and follow the weather I think, but it seems to be the hardest part of the learning curve.

I have always been of the belief though that nothing worthwhile is ever easy to learn.

I had an offer from a guide on here that I am most definately going to take up. Just waiting to hear back from him. Till then though, I will live vicariously through all you experienced guys, and wait for all the congratulations when I get into one on my pin :thumbsup_anim:

Dabbling in atmospheric meterology and climatology when I was in school and then being a supplier to the landscape industry I must admit I have a knack for predicting weather...

Heck I remember working from my office with an eye on the radar letting some key clients know their crews were in for a a flash storm...5 min before it happened...understanding weather is key and the radar is your best friend is you know how to use it. Oh yes for river fishing also :) for real..peeps that have know me well have told me to get into it full time...but meh...maybe some day!!!

Edited by StoneFly