The end of cheap beer?

ketchenany

Thanks for reminding me.

Friday you're buying!

That BillM is a sneaky one; "I'll drink what you bring" :D

This Sunday I'm having a Peroni out of a Sleeman glass I got form John Sleeman himself when I worked on his account!

Feel bad about the people not having jobs, seen a few on the news tonight and not very happy about it.

Labatt could not compete with Lakeport.. they tried and failed. So rather then fight them, they bought them.. And Cascioli made off like a bandit.. Most knew when this acquisition occurred this would happen..

While I am not a Lakeport drinker (I prefer Mac Lays @ the same price point)

I hope the best for those workers that Cascioli screwed over.

G.

less lakeport around means less gut rot around...other than the unfortunate loss of jobs, this does not sound like such a bad thing. Once these folks can find some new employment the world will be a much better place.

How so? please explain you're position further..

Funny how tastes vary. For years I thought I had to buy imported to get a decent beer. But then it finally sank in that most weren't all that great so I started experimenting with domestics again.

Didn't much care for Blue, Ex or Canadian, or most other beers for that matter. Used to like Molson's Stock Ale back in the day. In Mexico I drank Modelo Negra and when I felt like getting a little spendy I preferred Grolsch. In the spring I have often experimented with some different Bocks with varying degrees of satisfaction. I didn't like Lakeport Pilsner at all but I kinda liked the Lakeport Ale.

At the moment though I've kinda lost my taste for booze of any kind. Sux to be me. I'm hoping it comes back before the spring has passed me by completely. I'd hate to go the rest of my life without enjoying a drink at least once in a while. :P

JF

Lakeport's probably closing that brewery because they have a crap product and more people are starting to realize it. It was a great way to reposition their product in 2002 when they started the 24 for 24, I think they went from 1% market share to 9 or 10.... now it seems to be in the decline from what I can see, I wouldn't be surprised if you stop seeing Lakeport all together in the next few years... for budget beer Mcclays, Old Mill, Brava are all a lot better tasting IMO. Me I only shake hands with Heineken :blahblah1: I hate that beer is so expensive here. In Florida it's $8 for 12 tall cans of natural ice, if you like your budget beer. Or you can buy Labatt Blue there for cheaper than in Canada including the exchange rate... its all in our liquor taxes :dunno: I think our liquor laws are way out of wack.

-Ben

Lakeport's probably closing that brewery because they have a crap product and more people are starting to realize it. It was a great way to reposition their product in 2002 when they started the 24 for 24, I think they went from 1% market share to 9 or 10.... now it seems to be in the decline from what I can see, I wouldn't be surprised if you stop seeing Lakeport all together in the next few years... for budget beer Mcclays, Old Mill, Brava are all a lot better tasting IMO. Me I only shake hands with Heineken :blahblah1: I hate that beer is so expensive here. In Florida it's $8 for 12 tall cans of natural ice, if you like your budget beer. Or you can buy Labatt Blue there for cheaper than in Canada including the exchange rate... its all in our liquor taxes :dunno: I think our liquor laws are way out of wack.

-Ben

The Government needs to pay the hospital bills for sclerosis of the liver some how! LOL!

I have drank Lakeport... while it was ok for the price... I have expanded... and found MacLays to be better IMHO....

but that does not change the fact that their marketing machine worked....

Having said that Labatt bought Lakeport because of the threat they posed..

Lakeport had 10-14% of the Canadian beer market... Which is HUGE!

Even Labatt could not do what Lakeport did! In terms of Market share.

So Labatt Swallowed them..... with every intention of burying them... Blue volume is down.. so to keep their London plant to capacity they will move Lakeport production there.. Thereby shuttering the Hamilton Lakeport plant..

http://www.thespec.com/article/744966

This is yet another blow to the Hamilton economy.. first it is steel... next it is beer...

The Blue collar worker is under attack in Hamilton

G.

You should go give Brava a try.

And yes Brava is a lot better . . .

As noted Brava is/was brewed at Lakeport, which at one point was Ontario's largest independent brewer once Sleeman was bought out.

I wonder if they're going to do the closeout sale (again). Case of Steeler for $18, 8 case maximum :D

steeler_3.jpg

There's been alot of somewhat decent domestics started there, then ofcourse moved. It was the line of Dave's Hard Lemonade coolers that pushed Lakeport above 10% market share for a few years.

... its all in our liquor taxes :dunno: I think our liquor laws are way out of wack.

Sin taxes suck.

keystone light is a new beer out by molson. picked up 24 cans for $29 and 7 out of 8 people liked it. im not a fussy beer drinker so its usually just cheap stuff for me. works out great because no matter whose friends house i visit, i like their beer :D:thumbsup_anim:

The most important part here are the employee's working there. They are out of a job. As for beer at a cheap price, look no further than James Ready. Even if it was priced like the other higher priced beers I'd still buy it, taste great.

The writing was definitely on the wall the day Labatt bought them out. I'm surprised they let it run as long as they did. Probably a purchase contract arrangement.

I tried my best to do my part by supporting the local brewery, it isn't bad beer and besides beer is beer, it all has a similar taste regardless of what brand you drink. Drink enough of one and the taste becomes the norm, just look at how many are hooked on Horton's :rofl2: crappy coffee! If I were out though Carlsburg or Rickards Red would be the choice.

Too bad it's closing, typical big business attitude. There may be a day soon where there will be absolutely zero manufacturing left in the Hammer, or anywhere in Ontario for that matter. :(