Buying a gun

Rattletrap2

I may be in the minority here but I have had a lot of "varmit" issues here.I have a very trusty 22 mag that will touch most varmits out past 100 yards.How big of a lot are you gonna use this on?22 mag is a rimfire and the rounds are cheap.The range on a good one is as far as I need.The ruger with the bull barrel is sweet.Put a big old deer scope on it and wail away at them groundhogs with confidance.We enjoy the single shots for plinking cans but a magazine with more than a few makes recreational shooting fun.Go for a bolt action,better acuracy although at the 22 level it may not be a factor.The bigger bolt action guns are way more accurate than the semi's.I don't want to get into the politics of the guns here much but if you have any kind of criminal record here you will not just be able to walk in and buy a gun the same day.If you are not a criminal and are a free man it is your right in this country to own a firearm.Commit a crime and you lose that privelidge.The day the govt thinks it can tell you that you cannot have a firearm because they think you may not be fit without cause will be a very dark day in this country.Unfortunatly I think we are headed that way.

Joe

Edited by Daplumma

I do support the courses and education needed to aquire a gun today.

Im with you on this one canadadude ,and let me explain why.

Todays young hunters,(EVEN THOSE THAT WISH TO START AT AN OLDER AGE) are not the same as what was brought up back in the day.Yes, there are some that are brought up with the right ways,the respect of the sport and respect thier kill. Many think ,when they get thier lic, guns,they can just shoot anyway they want.(dont start with me, as I have seen it first hand)If you dont see the way society has become today archie,yer as blind as the nonowner/ anties.IT,S NOT THE SAME ANYMORE.

Im just speaking out loud here. :canadian:

Wow this topic sure got crazy fast. Back on topic though, a 22 250 is a great cartridge as well...and btw I love my 30-06, if it were legal I would use the AR15 for deer hunting though. I think this year I'll be bringing a mini into the bush. last year was some fun with the speed pump, but i think its back to the rifle for me this year.

Edited by jedimaster

It's more about being CONTROLLED by your government....seems in Canada they control EVERYTHING you do up there... :wallbash:

The waiting time is not a bad thing. My brother applied for a gun license. He was mentally unstable....as did a former coworker who wrote some disturbing stuff on FB about her employer. I'm not totally up on this but I believe you need to supply references. The wait time may very well be so that they have enough time contact references in case there are red flags. Neither of the two people above got their gun license.

Edited by scuro2

The waiting time is not a bad thing. My brother applied for a gun license. He was mentally unstable....as did a former coworker who wrote some disturbing stuff on FB about her employer. I'm not totally up on this but I believe you need to supply references. The wait time may very well be so that they have enough time contact references in case there are red flags. Neither of the two people above got their gun license.

When you speak of a gun license in Canada is it the same for the whole country or is this a Ontario license..Also is this gun license for any firearm or do you need something else for a hand gun.

YES that's a 1975 Ruger M77 .22-250 Rem with Bull Barrel...

Bob

They are my favourite too, Bob. Got a stablemate to that one, M77 6MM Rem bull barrel with an old Weaver T-16 on it, year newer, 1976 with the

" Made in the 200th Year of the American Liberty" stamped into the barrel markings. Shot a lot of chucks with it, liked it so much I added another M77 , again in 6MM with a sporter barrel for a coyote rifle, then a M77 in 30-06 for big game and still another bull barrel this time in the .220 Swift, continuing with my fondness for Rugers, I'd always admired the No.1 single shot so added a .218 Bee in one of those. Can't have too many varmint rifles, as Warren Page, a benchrest shooting pioneer used to say " the only interesting rifle, is an accurate rifle" or something very similar. :canadian:

They are my favourite too, Bob. Got a stablemate to that one, M77 6MM Rem bull barrel with an old Weaver T-16 on it, year newer, 1976 with the

" Made in the 200th Year of the American Liberty" stamped into the barrel markings. Shot a lot of chucks with it, liked it so much I added another M77 , again in 6MM with a sporter barrel for a coyote rifle, then a M77 in 30-06 for big game and still another bull barrel this time in the .220 Swift, continuing with my fondness for Rugers, I'd always admired the No.1 single shot so added a .218 Bee in one of those. Can't have too many varmint rifles, as Warren Page, a benchrest shooting pioneer used to say " the only interesting rifle, is an accurate rifle" or something very similar. :canadian:

Nice little collection you have there.. :good: ..I liked my .22-250 Ruger so much that I also purchase a .270 Win in the Bi-Centennial Edition...hey you're not suppose to have one of those up there.. :D ...That's my deer rifle. Those Ruger #1's are REAL PURRDY. Back in the 70's a neighbor purchased on in a .220 Swift...he had a real hard time finding one. That .220 Swift you have is the only cartridge that can beat out my .22-250......how is ammo up there, especially on the .220 Swift, available or do you reload.

Lately I have purchase a couple of the newer Savages for my son and nephew for deer hunting.......nice gun, especially for the money. With it's free floating barrel and Accu-Triggers it's a hard gun to beat when it comes to accuracy right out of the box. Got my son one in a .243 Win and my nephew one in a 7mm-08 Weather Warrior Model...both shoot clover leafs at 100 yards. My younger son Bill now says he has more time to hunt now that college is finally over so I have a 1969 Savage Model 99 that's in mint condition for him. This is one of the nicest lever actions ever made.

Bob

When you speak of a gun license in Canada is it the same for the whole country or is this a Ontario license..Also is this gun license for any firearm or do you need something else for a hand gun.

The gun license program is a national thing.

Hand guns are a different animal altogether, near impossible to obtain legally.

Rattletrap take a look at the ammo prices, a 22 long rifle will work on most small animals, and you won`t put much of a dent in the wallet buying ammo to practice or shoot. Center fire cartridges are much more expensive. Most of your 22 rifles are chambered for 22 longs I wouldn`t mess with shorts, just not as strong. I don`t know what they sell up there, but here you can by 22 subsonics, a much quieter round, not as fast moving though.

A 22 rifle can be very accurate in the hands of a good shooter, and they are popular because of their price and the price of ammo for them. I can shoot in my back yard here in the country and have done so, I have railroad tracks that are 4-5 feet higher than the land at the back of my property a back stop. A 22 will go a long way, some caution is needed if you have neighbors behind you.

a rough idea of ammo prices

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/browse/browse.aspx?c=96

Neighbors here regularly knock off groundhogs with 22`s, lol and my dog brings their dead bodies home, bad dog! leave it in the neighbors yard. Ground hogs and horses don`t mix well, too many chances for broken legs.

Edited by OhioFisherman

Rattletrap take a look at the ammo prices, a 22 long rifle will work on most small animals, and you won`t put much of a dent in the wallet buying ammo to practice or shoot. Center fire cartridges are much more expensive. Most of your 22 rifles are chambered for 22 longs I wouldn`t mess with shorts, just not as strong. I don`t know what they sell up there, but here you can by 22 subsonics, a much quieter round, not as fast moving though.

A 22 rifle can be very accurate in the hands of a good shooter, and they are popular because of their price and the price of ammo for them. I can shoot in my back yard here in the country and have done so, I have railroad tracks that are 4-5 feet higher than the land at the back of my property a back stop. A 22 will go a long way, some caution is needed if you have neighbors behind you.

a rough idea of ammo prices

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/browse/browse.aspx?c=96

Neighbors here regularly knock off groundhogs with 22`s, lol and my dog brings their dead bodies home, bad dog! leave it in the neighbors yard. Ground hogs and horses don`t mix well, too many chances for broken legs.

I'm thinking of getting CZ 453 Varmint in .17HMR :whistling:

Those Ruger #1's are REAL PURRDY. Back in the 70's a neighbor purchased on in a .220 Swift...he had a real hard time finding one. That .220 Swift you have is the only cartridge that can beat out my .22-250......how is ammo up there, especially on the .220 Swift, available or do you reload.

Bob

I reload, need to to get every last bit of accuracy out of a rig. Really the 220 Swift ammo is pretty readily available at most gun shops, but don't expect to find it at Canadian Tire or Walmart here. The tricky one to get is the 218 Bee, with a #1 the best option is to handload as the only ammo made for it is flat tipped bullet stuff suitable for use in tubalar magazines of old Winchester lever guns for which it was originally designed. The #1 allows the use of more efficient spitzer bullets and you can load up to a bit more velocity than what the old lever guns would allow.

As a teenager in the 60's I could walk into the local hardware store and come out with a gun and ammo without any ID, do I feel any safer now with the bureacracy and paper work, NOT IN THE LEAST. :wallbash:

The original poster should pick up a Ruger 10-22 in .22 rimfire. Fun gun for the money and lots of cool aftermarket stuff.

You can get a handgun here in Canada but you have to have a Restricted PAL. That means getting your regular PAL, joining a recognized shooting club and jumping through a few more hoops. You can get it but it's more difficult and any handgun you buy has to have at least a 4inch barrel otherwise it would be considered a Prohibited weapon. Amazingly enough, I have been to a couple of gun shows with a friend who shoots pistols competitively, you should see the sort of stuff out there. I have seen a Russian 23mm Anti Aircraft gun with ammunition that gets fired every year at a range. That, I don't understand. What on Earth do you need an anti aircraft gun for??? Pistols too for that matter, they are designed to kill people, not animals for hunting purposes. Rifles and shotguns definitely. I am opposed to the Registry. If you take firearms out of the hands of your citizens, you in effect control them and can do whatever you wish because they cannot defend themselves. That is Sociology 101 kids.

I just when thru all this as I let my PAL lapse ( don't do this!). I would definetely recommend it for the hands on handling of different firearm types. One piece of advice I got was take both portions; un-restricted ( hunting stuff) and restricted ( handguns). The reason was that 5 years down the road the government can decide all firearms are restricted with a stroke of a pen and you are coughing up another $150 bucks and another weekend. The RCMP called everyone of my references, including my wife and asked about 20 questions of each of them- took about a month for the Ontario firearms officer to return my exams and then you forward them to the RCMP out east. That took 2 months.

I thought the firearm courses were good.

The hunter safety course is also worthwhile, although Ontario does not recognise that I have completed one in BC and AB. That is a total cash grab on their part.

good luck

suds

Its funny how the whole thing works, a friend of mine just got his, RCMP called me and asked me if I knew him and thats was it. Another guy I know they never even called his wife. Some people get the 20 questions. There is no way to catch everyone. When I got mine about 6 or 7 years ago they never called a single reference of mine.

Yep it is federal its across canada. Dito on getting the restricted if you can, you might as well. Its known as RPal to the gun enthusiasts.

They're not only using all this licensing for control but for a LOT of revenue....think about it..I can without any of your gun classes, gun license come into Canada with my rifle or shotgun to hunt...I am except from all your requirements that a resident needs just to own a gun because I am coming into your country to spend money...this is also true when I bring my boat into Ontario...I don't need no course or boating card because I am going to spend money there...double standard or what.

If you take firearms out of the hands of your citizens, you in effect control them and can do whatever you wish because they cannot defend themselves. That is Sociology 101 kids.

If you limit access to guns, less people die from gunshot wounds. That is about as basic as it gets. Now if you're into conspiracy theories and believe you need your gun to protect you from cops, the army, the united nations...then there is really no point in further communication.

Edited by scuro2

If you limit access to guns, less people die from gunshot wounds. That is about as basic as it gets. Now if you're into conspiracy theories and believe you need your gun to protect you from cops, the army, the united nations...then there is really no point in further communication.

We have a saying here in the USA and it's "If you outlaw guns then only outlaws will have guns" think about that for a minute...do you think the criminals will turn in their firearms because you passed a law saying so....

Hey Scuro, why don't you go ask the criminals to give you their guns. Better yet, lets make criminal activity illegal!!!! :rolleyes: