Buying a gun

Rattletrap2

Hey Folks!

I would like to purchase something like a .22 rifle for varmit control and also fun (target shooting).

Can anyone tell me what the current steps are required to do this?

I'm assuming I would need to take a course(s) to obtain a Firearms Acquisition Certificate? Is this still the rule? What is a PAL? I think I read about this somewhere.

I have never owned a gun or had any of these permits.

Also, where would i go to obtain these things? Is there a course online or anything?

Thanks

Hey Folks!

I would like to purchase something like a .22 rifle for varmit control and also fun (target shooting).

Can anyone tell me what the current steps are required to do this?

I'm assuming I would need to take a course(s) to obtain a Firearms Acquisition Certificate? Is this still the rule? What is a PAL? I think I read about this somewhere.

I have never owned a gun or had any of these permits.

Also, where would i go to obtain these things? Is there a course online or anything?

Thanks

BASS PRO offers the one stop program, hunter safty and firearm course, usually around $275-300 the one i took was friday night 5-10pm saturday 8-7pm and sunday was 8-5 but I was first to do the practical and got out around 1pm sunday...super easy

And after doing the course it takes a good 2 months for your application to be prossesed. I've been waiting about a month for mine.

Thanks guys. After doing some more reading, I see that a PAL is a "Possession and Acquisition License". I'm thinking that this is all I need right now because I don't intend to hunt or go off my own property with it. Looks like $145.00 to $150.00 for the course and exam if I read it right? I guess you could always challenge the exam for $40.00, but having never owned a gun, the course is probably a good idea. I just keep thinking of the "Operators Card" for boating and what a joke that really is. Hopefully this course is actually worthwhile? Any comments from those who have taken it recently?

Now, is a .22 the right thing to choose for small animals? What about long and short .22 bullets?

Go to your local gun shop, or shooting range and ask about the PAL course.

Chances are there is a local place that can hook you up.

I highly recommend taking the course if your not familiar with handling firearms.

you'll learn a few things, but more importantly they pretty much drive saftey into your

head which IMO is a Great thing, and also the reason incidents are so rare in Canada.

Its usually a weekend course or 2 weeks part time so its pretty unintrusive to your schedule.

Bass pro would be great if your close....I'd prolly end up spending about 3x the amount in after class ventures though LOL!

Cheers,

You said you'd be using the gun for varmint control? I'm not sure about the regs, but you should look into them. You might have to take the hunters safety coarse, and then purchase a small game hunting license if you want to kill varmints.

Not sure if varmint control is considered hunting..

Edited by F-is-H

WOW, almost $500 just to purchase a firearm in Ontario...here you would go to any store that sells firearms...some Walmart's or just a gun shop and show them your drivers license and they do a INSTANT background check over the phone...takes about 30 minutes while you fill out the paper work...pay for the gun and go home....however, you do need a pistol permit if you want a piston...the above is only for shotguns and rifles.

So for a rifle or shotgun the only cost is the gun itself.

Bob

WOW, almost $500 just to purchase a firearm in Ontario...here you would go to any store that sells firearms...some Walmart's or just a gun shop and show them your drivers license and they do a INSTANT background check over the phone...takes about 30 minutes while you fill out the paper work...pay for the gun and go home....however, you do need a pistol permit if you want a piston...the above is only for shotguns and rifles.

So for a rifle or shotgun the only cost is the gun itself.

Bob

That's nice.....I think i'll be better off knowing people that own firearms in canada have to pass some sort of accredited testing.

WOW, almost $500 just to purchase a firearm in Ontario...here you would go to any store that sells firearms...some Walmart's or just a gun shop and show them your drivers license and they do a INSTANT background check over the phone...takes about 30 minutes while you fill out the paper work...pay for the gun and go home...

Bob

I wasen't aware they could check you mental stability over the phone...

If you aren't taking the hunting portion just go to the library, buy the book and challenge the exam. Its not that hard. The difficult part will be the hands on portion if you have never handled a gun before.

However I think unless you have a farm you will need to get a small game sticker and hence you will need to take the hunting course. As for your choice of shells. I would take a look into the Varmint Grenade round from Barnes. It is by far the best ammo for varmints. If you are bored jut go onto you tube and do a search for varmint grenade.Its awesome. It will dispatch of varmints quickly and humainly. After seeing the video you will see why they call it varmint grenade.

They come in 20 cal, 22 hornet, 22 cal, 223 and 6mm.

I would opt for a .223 it will offer you the best range of the three and 6mm is a bit of an awkward round to find a cheap gun for. If you are lookingt for a place to buy a cheap decent used gun try ellwood epps, they always have a good selection of used guns.

There are all kinds of good guns that shoot .223 ammo. A .223 is also known as 5.56 mm. Its a Nato round use by the Canadian forces as well.

If you are looking for a fun gun to shoot go for a semi like a ruger mini 14. They are so cool and fun to shoot and non restricted.

If you are looking for acuracy, a nice bolt action remington 700, sako or a savage with an accutrigger will serve you well for many years and you will be able to hit a garter snake at 200 yards.

Stay away from the single shots as you will quickly get bored of it. Removable magazine is also a great feature to have.

JMHO :)

That's nice.....I think i'll be better off knowing people that own firearms in canada have to pass some sort of accredited testing.

It's more about being CONTROLLED by your government....seems in Canada they control EVERYTHING you do up there... :wallbash:

If you aren't taking the hunting portion just go to the library, buy the book and challenge the exam. Its not that hard. The difficult part will be the hands on portion if you have never handled a gun before.

However I think unless you have a farm you will need to get a small game sticker and hence you will need to take the hunting course. As for your choice of shells. I would take a look into the Varmint Grenade round from Barnes. It is by far the best ammo for varmints. If you are bored jut go onto you tube and do a search for varmint grenade.Its awesome. It will dispatch of varmints quickly and humainly. After seeing the video you will see why they call it varmint grenade.

They come in 20 cal, 22 hornet, 22 cal, 223 and 6mm.

I would opt for a .223 it will offer you the best range of the three and 6mm is a bit of an awkward round to find a cheap gun for. If you are lookingt for a place to buy a cheap decent used gun try ellwood epps, they always have a good selection of used guns.

There are all kinds of good guns that shoot .223 ammo. A .223 is also known as 5.56 mm. Its a Nato round use by the Canadian forces as well.

If you are looking for a fun gun to shoot go for a semi like a ruger mini 14. They are so cool and fun to shoot and non restricted.

If you are looking for acuracy, a nice bolt action remington 700, sako or a savage with an accutrigger will serve you well for many years and you will be able to hit a garter snake at 200 yards.

Stay away from the single shots as you will quickly get bored of it. Removable magazine is also a great feature to have.

JMHO :)

Some GREAT advice.......only thing different I would recommend a .243 Win over the 6mm Rem round...basically the same round but the .243 Win is a MUCH easier ammo to purchase as far as availability even down here...if you want the BEST varmint/predictor caliber get yourself a .22-250 Rem...like this one....

Copy5ofDeerHunting11-19-05049.jpg

I call this one "Chuck Mate" as it has never missed...with it's bull barrel and a 12X Leupold Scope I'm good to 400 yards..

It's more about being CONTROLLED by your government....seems in Canada they control EVERYTHING you do up there... :wallbash:

Yes we are. Our gun laws are absolute Bull.

To the OP...it takes NOWHERE near 500$ to get a PAL/Hunters Safety Course. Go to your local shop ask them for the number of a reputable instructor. Should cost around 150$. Your PAL will take around 2 month's to be processed, in that time save up for your first firearm!!!!

As for the guys bashing Billy Bob...you guys do realize Canada rarely does background checks on their PAL applicants? They do "random checks" every so often. America's firearm laws concerning buying firearms is actually pretty good.

Maybe you guys should do some research before you start spouting on you Liberal Loving Anti-gunners...

I call this one "Chuck Mate" as it has never missed...with it's bull barrel and a 12X Leupold Scope I'm good to 400 yards..

Is that a M77? I can't tell from the pic...

My dad just got an M77 MKII Lightweight in .30-06...can't wait to develop some loads for it :canadian:

Is that a M77? I can't tell from the pic...

My dad just got an M77 MKII Lightweight in .30-06...can't wait to develop some loads for it :canadian:

YES that's a 1975 Ruger M77 .22-250 Rem with Bull Barrel...

I don't mind them bashing me...it's just most on here are young guys and haven't seen how much liberty you in Canada and YES us in the USA have lost over the years...I'm 55 years old and have seen quite a bit, but up where you are, it's worse, MUCH worse. And the way things are going it's only going to be worse...Fight for you rights...stop giving them away for so called protection by the government..that's the best advice I can give you guys..

Bob

I'm 48yrs old and have hunted and been a gun owner since I was 16yrs old and I agree it was simple to acquire firearms and amunition when I first began hunting. Unfortunatly the world has changed alot since then and I for one agree with Hunter education aswell as responsible education in owning and possesing firearms. I am not an advocate of the soon to be scraped gun registry but I do support the courses and education needed to aquire a gun today. If you think things are worse up here try getting on a comercial air flight in the us.Perhaps our society is'nt the wild west but I think it's in alot better shape then any other country in the world