What's Your Ice Fishing Season Been Like?

ccmtcanada

How has your ice fishing season been?  

43 members have voted

1. 1. Choose One

• Awesome!! The best year yet!
    • Great...better than average.
    • About average
    • Below average
    • WAAAAAYYYY Below average
    • I dont ice fish...soft water cant come soon enough!!!
  2. 2. If you think it's below average...why do you think so? You can choose more than one.

• Ice came in very late
    • Overfishing in general
    • Adverse weather conditions?
    • Other...reply in the thread.

This is my first year of ice fishing....been out twice and have caught nothing. My wife and I rented from a hut operator on Lake Scugog and we've also been out on Lake Simcoe for the Fish for Tyler Event. I know that we are beginners, but it seems that when we talk to people out on the lakes, they also say the bite has been off. Dont get me wrong...I've had fun out there :thumbsup_anim: , but I can only stand being skunked so many times.... :wallbash:

I've only been on this board since this past fall, so I have no reference from previous years, but it seems that most of the reports have not been great. I've seen a few where some impressive size/numbers have been pulled out of the ice from a few reports, but overall, they haven't done a lot to make me want to invest more in hard water fishing. :dunno:

So...what's your year been like? What have you heard from other ice anglers?

Thanks!

Ice came to late in my area and when my "friends" did go to Lake St Clair they neglected to ask me, although they did put out feelers to see if I would lend them my Jiffy and portable hut. Guess I have to bathe more often or maybe leave everyone use my equipment.!

Ice came to late in my area and when my "friends" did go to Lake St Clair they neglected to ask me, although they did put out feelers to see if I would lend them my Jiffy and portable hut. Guess I have to bathe more often or maybe leave everyone use my equipment.!

LOL...next time they ask for your stuff and dont invite you, say ok...then put a bunch of hot shots on the edges underneath the portable hut.... :thumbsup_anim:

Up until last season I used to average about 12 trips per season some were successful others were skunk city...

I only got out once last season, the first week of January, then I had an operation on my back and that put the kibosh on the rest of the season..

Saturday was my first trip on the ice this season...4 dinky little perch...but at least no skunk...

This afternoon will be trip two...

The weather and other commitments, mine and others, did not allow for us to get out...That deep freeze was just too cold for these old bones of mine... :blush:

I have to vote Awesome! For years I have tried to convince my Father and Brother to take me ice fishing with them. It is a mans world... this whole family fishing thing. So the answer was always no or avoidance in general.

If you want something bad enough you find a way, so , I have gone myself, out to friends ponds etc and never managed to catch anything... but this year I decided enough is enough and made the decision to get out there on my own and fish... Find friends, beg for their advice, company and experience. It has been awesome, from the perch on Lake Simcoe , to being skunked for whitefish and walleye, the days spent on the ice have been filled with wonderful lessons and lots of learning. Although I have to admit there is a skill involved that I do not have yet... I wouldn't have traded a moment of it to do anything else. Free time is precious and when you find something you love to do its worth every second.

Oh and I do have to add here, that once I started getting out there on my own, my family is being much more receptive. I actually got out on the ice with my bro and a cousin this past weekend... what a blast... and even more enjoyable because they were there!

this is the first winter i have not been out yet,and since i was a kid that has never happened to me,its due to lots of reasons,like medical and timming and of course the big one is moneyand time :dunno: its been a difficult winter to got everything all together i keep a hut up on a lake near bancroft and i have not been able to get it on the lake yet,and my buddy has been working on weekends so timming is way off :blink: ,but the season up there is until march 31st,so there is still time to get up there and hit a few speck l;akes and do some snowmobiling,and jump on the quad,for a ride...so its not all bad cause i get my boat out at the end of march anyway and start to fish lake ontario right away also up north for ice-out lake trout,so either way im gonna be fishing in less that 1 month,or so....but yes cabin fever has set in for sure and im sure glad i got to go to the spring fishing show ,at least it broke up the winter blues a little bit...so things are getting better and march is here on the doorstep,and the robins will be on my front lawn pulling out big fat dew worms real soon, and so will i :w00t: ,i keep telling them that they are minethey dont read my sign,they keep stealing them from me...lol..lol :thumbsup_anim::Gonefishing:

It sucks!!But thanks for askin anyway.The snow came in one day after it got really cold and in about 4 days here in Orillia got a 100 cm of snow.That put a real damper on any thought of going out anywhere around here.Even the die-hard locals that put huts out on cooch behind the Birchmere were 3-4 weeks in to Jan. before I saw any out and that's when I figure it's OK to try.However with all that snow piling up day after day after day.........I didn't have the heart to bother even on St John where you only have to slog out a couple hundred feet to fish.I do hope to get out a bit in march and hope the fish will cooperate.

On a good note though,the local club got the lake staked and with all the snow in our area I've been snowmobiling instead rackin up the K'z so I'm not having too serious a withdrawal right now.

Cheers Kerry

100_0610__Large_.jpg

Mine hasn't been too good. :dunno:

Glen at least you were cautious not to walk on that thin murky water :stretcher:

For me the season started to late I usually get out at least five times and this it has only been 2.Was out one day for trout and last saturday for a tournament.The bad news is my daughters 10 and 12 no longer show any interest .The good news is my son 8 can last the whole day and never quits.I have been happy with my outtings so far.For me its just seeing my little guy so happy fishin.Priceless.Don't give up Cliff.MTP

118143.JPG

118148.JPG

118158.JPG

118156.JPG

118163.JPG

118152.JPG

119175.JPG

119179.JPG

ive only been able to get out a coupla times so far... no skunk either... but no "banner days" either

just havent had the time this year - others ive talked to have done well for the most part

- very anxiously waiting for the boat ramps to thaw out in a week or too :thumbsup_anim:

Edited by fishdawg

In my own perspective, getting out and fishing the hard water is bliss on its own, and catching fish is the sunshine and few more degrees of warmth as a bonus to your experience. Don't let the skunk discourage you because the smell ain't all that bad. The air will clear soon, and patience is the key to many successes. There is something in the water that attracts me to it like a magnet. If you come to realize what that means for you (if you haven't already), and it's purpose and importance relevant to your desires and passion to fish, then a weekend trip ending up scratched is more meaningful outside narrow focuses. I'm sure I don't have to explain that. We all know here.

Of course there are disappointments, and there is nothing that you could have done on a bad day because science is set in its own ways and typically cannot be manipulated or influenced any differently than what it was designed to do. I doubt primitive technology like a rod with line tied to a shiny lure that BPS fished you for $7.99 will alter the behaviour of fish sitting depressed on the bottom in need of an aquatic shrink and medicinal plankton to help them get through the day. Be it the dynamic climatization, the pressure and lunar phases, your methods, techniques and presentations, or just plain bad luck that keeps the fish off your line, keep your chin up and learn from every experience. But more importantly, learn how you are enjoying and having fun with it too, because that makes all the difference in the world.

I voted as this season being average, although we also scratched on Skugog. A few more trips ahead ... crossing my fingers this time. Gbay and Simcoe are on schedule for this coming weekend. :Gonefishing:

Best of luck,

Disco Phish