beef jerky...

Hey, new here. the names ted. as you can see im into pike n' whitfish. sleds, 4 wheelers, dirtbikes, pretty much anything motorized is another interest area. fishing of course. starting to get into hunting. alot o' good ol' stuff out there to get your hands on. the trouble is finding it haha.

Anyhow onto my original question. is there anyone here who knows how to make beef jerky? kind of a silly question but its been one for a long time. i'd like to make my own to avoid gettin sucked into buying a bag every once in a while. its just more conveniant having my own supply. you guys should know what im talking about.

Ted.

Get a dehydrator. Buy inside round roast when it is on sale. Freeze it partially so it is easy to cut into thin slices. Get the packages for cure etc... at Bass Pro. Apply the cure as directed. Lay out on dehydrator and run for 6-8 hours.

My Uncle makes it regularly, a couple of good cures are teriyaki and natural

I've never made beef jerky, but I have made venison, and goose jerky. Both where done in the oven using a jerky cure/seasoning I bought a bass pro. They have a bunch off different flavors.

First you cut the meat into 1/4 thick strips. Then mix the seasoning and the cure and apply it to your meat per the instructions on the package. Let it sit in your fridge for a few days to tenderize. Then cook it on low in the oven for a few hours, turning a few times an hour.

The goose jerky was the second best tasting method of cooking Canada Goose IMO.. First being Goose summer sausage..

I make quite a bit of jerky. Get good lean beef and a dehydrator. Yo really can't mess it up. Cut beef into thin slices and remove all fat (important).

I like to marinade my beef in teriaki sauce with some garlic barbecue and a touch of hot sauce. Sometimes I don't marinade the beef and just put a rub or some Montreal steak spice on it. Put it in the Dehydrator for about 6-10 hours (sometimes more depending how dry you want it).

You can buy used dehydrators for next to nothing.

By the way,

Welcome!

First of all, welcome to the board.

Beef Jerky:

Get the butcher to slice the meat for you, they don't charge anything to do it and it will save you a lot of work. Inside round is an excellent meat to use.

For 4 lbs of meat cut about 3/16 to 1/4" thick

1 cup brown sugar packed

3 cups soy sauce (go buy a jug at national grocers)

1/2 cup liquid smoke

2 TBS pickeling salt (do not use iodized salt)

1/8 to 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper (depends on how spicy you like it)

Maranade meat for 10 minutes make sure it all gets coated

Drain well

I use a Ronco dehydrator that I picked up at a garage sale for $10.00 several years ago but you can dry it in the oven.

This recipe works well with venison, moose, just about any lean cut of meat.

Enjoy

I use ground moose or venison,mixed up with seasoning cures from Cabelas or Shore Lunch.I have a jerky canon.Dehydrater works best,but I have used the oven as well.The finished product has a nice chewy texture,you would never know it was ground meat.

I've never made beef jerky, but I have made venison, and goose jerky. Both where done in the oven using a jerky cure/seasoning I bought a bass pro. They have a bunch off different flavors.

First you cut the meat into 1/4 thick strips. Then mix the seasoning and the cure and apply it to your meat per the instructions on the package. Let it sit in your fridge for a few days to tenderize. Then cook it on low in the oven for a few hours, turning a few times an hour.

The goose jerky was the second best tasting method of cooking Canada Goose IMO.. First being Goose summer sausage..

I tried goose jerky last year and it was fantastic, I know what your saying, yummy

i would like to add an extra step to the whole process: i would get the aaa grade meat when they go on sale and age it in the freezer for 60 days b4 the drying process. this will result in a more tasty and tender beef jerky, well worth the extra wait, oh and don't forget to cut across the grain ;)