When does Old Mill get hot?

Mykester

If you're referring to steelhead, most years The Humber on average is rarely fishable till about mid-April (at least by my standards). This year may be different with less snow melt. I haven't fished there yet this year to take a look.

It tends to blow out for weeks after ice out and spring rains definitely don't help. Usually runs a chocolaty brown colour. The majority of the steelhead blow right through the lower sections really fast when the water's high - You'll see them jumping. I spent tons of time there in between classes and after class watching them jump the first dam. You get dropbacks later in spring but I normally get 1 for every 30-50 suckers I catch - Them suckers are aggressive.LOL

Anyone eat the suckers from there? My dad is coming back from the hospital tomorrow and loves them.

I think eating a humber river sucker will put him right back in the hospital. Half joking 3 eyed suckers in the humber.

I'd check the

2009 - 2010 Guide to Eating Ontario Sport Fish

http://www.ene.gov.o...guide/index.php

just to double check mercury and pcb level of those fish.

Edited by Syn

Mykester,...LMAO......love the Avatar pic....where did you get that?

I'll pm you the link, some of the content is nsfw.

I think eating a humber river sucker will put him right back in the hospital. Half joking 3 eyed suckers in the humber.

I'd check the

2009 - 2010 Guide to Eating Ontario Sport Fish

http://www.ene.gov.o...guide/index.php

just to double check mercury and pcb level of those fish.

Don't they come up from the depths of Lake O to spawn? Not sure if a fish that's been present for a short while in the river would be harmful, but I'm not a fish scientist so I will look into it (or just go to the credit instead).

EDIT: Eating guide says 4 meals, how many suckers is a meal?

Edited by Mykester

I would not eat those suckers

Many times years back I caught them with tumours galore from Lake O tribs

I know guys that eat suckers from up north that run out of the lakes---but these are not the same

Buy your dad a chunk of fresh salmom---be healthier------10,000 grizzly bears can't be wrong

Bushart

My buddies and I tried spring run suckers from the Thames River in Downtown London during college! haha They tasted fine, but the meat was mushy and it was near impossible to get all the bones out. I'm sure if you follow the the guide you're dad will be a-ok with eating them. But yeah, the Credit River is just down the road, and is easy pickings for the spring run suckers as well!

Good luck!

Ryan

"When does the old mill get hot ?"

When da old fe-mill is ready, she make him hot. wub.gif

I haven't fished the Old Mill in years.

The fall was always good for salmon and brown trout.

Some rainbow trout coming up in the spring, but I only caught a few.

I would imagine there are some in there right now.

Be aware of the no fishing zone (sanctuary) below the first dam (north of Old Mill bridge).

I think it extends 25 metres below the dam.

"When does the old mill get hot ?"

When da old fe-mill is ready, she make him hot. wub.gif

I haven't fished the Old Mill in years.

The fall was always good for salmon and brown trout.

Some rainbow trout coming up in the spring, but I only caught a few.

I would imagine there are some in there right now.

Be aware of the no fishing zone (sanctuary) below the first dam (north of Old Mill bridge).

I think it extends 25 metres below the dam.

well I was there looking for a few of those pesky suckers... for another mission ( not a fish fry if your thinkin ) nadda to be found yet waters too cold...

Just walked the Humber today from Old Mill up to Scarlet road doing some scouting and saw six guys fishing, all clustered around the Old Mill bridge. One of the guys had 2 fish on a stringer but he was doing his best not to show the fish off so couldn't tell anything about them. Looked on the small side. The water was still pretty murky though.

Just moved to Toronto recently and was wondering, once the fishing starts to warm up, will I be able to find fish along any stretch of the Humber (from Old Mill to Eglinton) or is my only chance to get a bite will be to stand shoulder-to-shoulder with the other guys all fishing the same small stretch of the river?