Zone 17 Pike Open All Year

Minnow

Pike have been in mitchell for quite a few years, I know this because my brother caught a huge hybrid in there last year. It was 40" and very well fed. Any ideas on an approx. age? I'll email him and see if he has the pic kickin around.

I will be making a few trips to Balsam in April to catch some pesky pike. I would imagine fishing in two to five feet of water with spinnerbaits will not catch anything but pike in the first weeks of April. Remember to keep the big spawning momma's for your limit.

Doug, let me know if you need any company. I'm always up for a pike slay.

^^^ this.

Also, just like people making excuses fishing bass out of season, I can also see some of the more unscrupulous anglers pulling musky under the pretense of "spring pike fishing". I've seen it in the past.

Doesn't bode well...

heres the pic of the hybrid my brother caught in mitchel last summer. Pike have been in mitchel and balsam long enough for this thing to get that big.

Beauty! Where do tigers fit into the regs re; poss'n limits? Or are they not covered at all?

I'm pretty sure minnow knows the difference between a pike and a Musky.

But I think they should close pike fishing until may 14 also in the Kawarthas. Anyone fishing for pike will be catching mostly everything but pike. Unless you are fishing Canal lake, or Crowe.

Agreed.

Do not keep a Tiger. They are under the Muskie regs. Pike in Balsam will be in those big shallow bays adjacent to deeper water. West Bay and South bay and North Bay around those Stumps and weed flats. Remember not to run up the Canal in Balsam to Mitchell. There is a steel beam of sorts put there by the Ministry or someone. Maybe the trent guys. You will destroy your boat. I think its there to stop logs and trees from floating into the lake. If you launch into Mitchell lake you will find tons of Pike there for sure. They usually spawn there first and the bigger ones tend to hang out there.

One problem sure to be seen will be guys "fishing pike" on water where they don't exist (as in most of the lakes posted here earlier)a hard ass CO might lay a charge of targeting a species during closed season and yeah the guy(s) fishing may have made an honest mistake fishing pike on say Chemong or Rice but ignorance of the law is not a legal defence,a few charges laid may put the brakes on too much of that going on.

Hey guys

I noticed that Pike is open all year in zone 17, I have caught a few pike on sturgeon and scugog and was hoping to get out on the water as soon as possible. Just wondering if there are any pike lakes or chances to hook into some ice out pike in zone 17 in April?

Thanks!

Lake Dalyrmpal is also in zone 17 and has a lot of pike in it.

Has anyone been catching Pike in Pigeon?

I'll be out perching in a week or two and I'm curious.

Perching? The crappie should be in thick at ice-out.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi ya new to this site, Just wondering if they are any trophy size pike in any of zone 17's lakes. I saw in a book that the best chances of catching a trophy pike is during ice out. And what lake would you think would have the biggest pike in it ? Good luck to all the pike hunters.

Edited by Rather Be Fishin'