300 bones for a Lowrance HDS5!

Ron

I got to the store at 9:15 am and saw the line up, walked over the marine counter and saw the stacks of Graphs...did think much of it. Checked out some other things. Met with my buddy there and he found out about the deal. Once i realized how good of a deal it was, I realized how much I need a new graph :) . I was the 8th last to get one when I lined up again around 10:15. My Buddy opted out because of 'the warden', only to find out later she told to go ahead and get one...he was a more than a little PO ed.

BL

Im with Fang on this one.

That was one of the things I was going to buy, there is no way it was a substitute as people wouldnt have benn lined up for it that night.

Friends and staff, thats seems pretty shady thiere part and if it wasnt, what about the people that were coming to buy one, now they are out of stock.

Darren

Edited by bucktail

Gives you an idea of the mark-up on electronics. I would doubt that they would lose money on them, but I may be wrong.

Cheers

Craig

I hear you - but I'd bet the big mark-up comes in the reels, tackle, rods and clothing rather than the electronics. This could've been a huge volume purchase from Lowrance to merit the price point.

Im with Fang on this one.

That was one of the things I was going to buy, there is no way it was a substitute as people wouldnt have benn lined up for it that night.

Friends and staff, thats seems pretty shady thiere part and if it wasnt, what about the people that were coming to buy one, now they are out of stock.

Darren

Every spring there is a line up to get into the classic. What happend was lowrance couldnt supply the eagle so they gave them the hds5 for the same price. Pretty sure this became aware after they printed the flyer. The employees at bps, which are fisherpersons themselves probably got the heads up or word leaked out and thats that. After all they are customers too. I dunno maybe im not sour because i was able to get one. Bps can never win with some people. They offer a great deal which people want and they still get bashed lol

Huh? I've been a good little squirrel and was saving for a Lowrance. Not an Eagle. Its a long trip out that way for alot of people. Especially something fairly big ticket like that. Congrats on the guys that got one. Guess my trip on the 27th will still be for the 135 which will be 20$ off instead of another 100$ for the model that you guys got at what sounds like 500$ off...Theres a case there.

i got to basspro around 8:30 and there was already about 30 people outside the door. i did not know about the sale of the hds 5 at this point so i figured everyone was just there for the sale. store opened at 9 everyone went in and i noticed a big line up at the electronics section. i wasnt sure what it was for as i was checking the flyer and didnt see anything that was that good of a deal. i noticed the stack of hds 5's lined up by the counter and saw everyone getting one and i was surprised to see so many people getting the same unit, so i asked how much they were selling them for they told me 299. i got in line quickly, the guy who i asked said they had 150 units.

i must say there may have been lots of people who knew in advance but there were also many who didnt know like me who simply were in the right place at the right time. while waiting in line you could see lots of people calling people to tell them about the sale, so i dont think everyone who got one knew about it before the store opened.

i gotta give it to basspro, i was quite pleased with the sales and i got everything i went for.

i was also told the story behind it all was same as a few have mentioned already.. the eagle unit on sale for 299 didnt come in so lowrance subsituted it with the hds 5.

I went to our Bass Pro here in Indiana yesterday to buy a couple new rods and some vibrax spinners. They had the Eagle 640 Color unit on sale for $249.00. I have a Lowrance sonar/GPS combo on my larger boat but couldn't pass up the Eagle to put on my 14' deepV. At least thats what I convinced my wife. Lots of sale prices and wall to wall people.

What happens to the people that want to get the 5 now ? Is BPS going to up grade them to a 7 for the cost of the 5...you never know unless you ask...

Why not ask for a new Nitro boat when they don't have a Jon boat in stock.

My buddy and I got 1 each today, I was told by a BPS staff member ( cant say who) that they were going to be a great deal.. That was 3 days ago...

I know that there are other crazy deals coming in the next couple of day, so good luck on who ever gets them

Dave

Ps I think my buddy is selling his but not sure. I will ask if anyone is looking for one...

For those who 'missed' the sale and are shopping for an HDS 5, Radio World's price on them (basic US map) is $100.00 less expensive than the $800.00 charged at Bass Pro Shop. (although you can see a demo running on it there)

There were at least 2 in stock in the store yesterday (Wednesday) and some will be at the Sportsman's Show.

Radio World is not far from BPS, but know your route in advance as there is no exit going south on hwy 400 to Steeles. (not only did I miss an exit for BPS, but got to see Finch Ave twice doing a loop de loop)

• 1 month later...

LOL...I'm waiting for the guys that picked one up for that price to start selling them for a profit. Not that I want one, but, you know it will probably happen. What a great deal.

I bought one here in North Bay for $500 (He was asking $700). The guy and his brother bought one each and decided to sell one. So I saved myself a few bucks and picked it up. He provided me with the reciept from Bass Pro and it comes with the full 2 year warranty. He was there for tackle and saw the line-up. He asked about it and was told the same story about the Eagle one for $299 but no stock.

Then I spent $200 on the 2010 Platinum Navionics Canada card. So now I have $700 invested in it anyways lol.