The word "immediately"..

Guest timeout

Cheaptackle

My bud was with a group sighting in their rifles in a pit a few miles from their camp the day before moose season when a CO showed up. He asked if they all had moose licenses and the first one to pull it out of his pocket was charged for hunting out of season because he COULD shoot a moose if it walked into the pit and put a tag on it.

Why would anyone put a tag on something the day before the season starts tying illegal game directly to them ?

Hi Terry;

That is astounding! I sincerely hope you undertook to register your experience and complaints with the MNR! I agree such an occurence should not be allowed to pass without repercussions to those who accosted you in such a manner. Perhaps they (MNR) might even be monitoring this thread as was stated they were doing with the RLTA thread, I'd sure like to think they'd act on it.

Hi polliwog;

First off I'm not a hunter so I have practically zero knowledge of the regs regarding hunting & weapons use, nor do I know anything about the circumstances. The only thing I can offer here would be that if the charges were misapplied, that's what the courts and the CO's supervisor are for. I can't and won't comment further on this singular issue because of my openly admitted lack of any knowledge on it or the laws pertaining to it.

Hope they get/got it all worked out.

Michael

I do agree that the regs are at times ambiguous (and therefore frustrating) but I think that to expect perfect clarity is an impossible dream. At the end of the day the regs are a legal document and there's a reason why the legal profession uses the term "practicising" the law - it's because much verbage that goes into legal documents IS open for interpretation and circumstances influence that interpretation (just as several previous posters have indicated).

It would be nice to always "know" what the legalities of your actions are but I don't expect that to happen anytime soon. Having said that I personally believe there are opportunities for the MNR to clean some things up that have been contentious for decades. Don't expect a definition of 'immediate' however simple that may seem to be.....lol.

Just my .02 cents worth.

Dan

They don,t seem to have any problems in Vermont,this is right from the Vermont Fish and Wildlife depatment :http://www.vtfishandwildlife.com/bassfishing.cfm

. During this time, you can legally target bass; however, angling is catch-and-release only and all bass must be immediately released (after a quick photo, of course). Anglers are also prohibited from using live bait - only artificial lures are allowed.

They don,t seem to have any problems in Vermont,this is right from the Vermont Fish and Wildlife depatment :http://www.vtfishandwildlife.com/bassfishing.cfm

. During this time, you can legally target bass; however, angling is catch-and-release only and all bass must be immediately released (after a quick photo, of course). Anglers are also prohibited from using live bait - only artificial lures are allowed.

Not sure if that's what I heard called "plain language" style of publishing laws & regulations, but it is definitely clear and I do like it!

But, unfortunately, as much as it would be desireable for us to have in the here and now, we don't.

Great example of something to strive for Lungelarry!

Michael

Sadly, one stupid CO can give many a bad name.

I was duck hunting a number of years ago with a friend. We returned to our car 10 minutes before case time. There were two CO's standing there. They asked to see our shells, our packs, our guns, our licenses...... They kept us talking for a good 15 minutes then one of them asked me what time it was, I looked at my watch and told him. Then he asked what time case time was, and I told him it was 5 minutes ago and he told me he was going to charge me because my gun wasn't cased.

That is when I blew up, If I hadn't been respectful and taken the time to talk to him, my gun would have been cased. I told him to go ahead and charge me because I'd see him in court and make him look like a jerk. He backed down and said he was just going to give me a warning; I insisted that he charge me, I couldn't fight a warning but if I was charged I'd get my day in court. Then the other CO stepped up and said something to the first guy, then a couple of shots went off about a mile or so away, the second CO looked at me, said get it cased and have a nice evening and the two of them left.

I hadn't done anything wrong but technically I was in the wrong! Interpretation of the law is something that takes a very wise man to do and sometimes the law has to be tempered with justice. What is fair, what is right, what is proper. That is a lot to ask of any one man, you are basically asking him to sort out truth from lies, right from wrong, and be right 100% of the time.

I'm sure glad it's not my job!

I was told if there were three lines out with three guys fishing and they each used the same rod and were being watched by a CO that he could in fact charge one of them for using more than one line as that line was designated to the first person who reeled in the first fish. <_< ..................

Still leaves us with the fact that we can be charged if the officer sees fit...... :rolleyes:

Needs to be fixed. :)

Also...the section on C&R tips are not regulations. The part where it says to net, unhook and take a picture are not regs only suggestions.....that part really through me for a loop. Why give tips that can and do get people charged?

Bull.IF it isnt than what do you say when a father takes his two young girls out for fishing.For obvious reasons I tend all lines, but If its my oldests line and I see it move, I will get it and have her do the rest.And on my boat with my buds we do have lines that are dedicated,but the first to see it go off grabs it then gives it to the owner of the rod/or the person the rod was dedicated too.AS goes with ice fishing.If the MNR are watching you and making these coments to charge someone, then this person must be in some deep water with COs.

As an expample, I was up at temagami for the first time last summer trolling with my girls,in view of the mnr office and officers.They did come by and saluted us,and so did I and my youngins.They say and didnt say a word about it.

Now if someone leaves their post, then I do pull the line out of the water.

Just my 2cents worth, thats all.

As an expample, I was up at temagami for the first time last summer trolling with my girls,in view of the mnr office and officers.They did come by and saluted us,and so did I and my youngins.They say and didnt say a word about it.

Now if someone leaves their post, then I do pull the line out of the water.

Just my 2cents worth, thats all.

Sorry Vince.. there hasn't been an MNR office in Temagami for over a decade now ! :huh: The abandoned building would make a great motel though...

Edited by irishfield

sadly enough it's not bull

if they are in the mood and some COs are, they can and will charge you

I know first hand about a CO that was in the mood!!!!!!!Lets just say I was within my rights and OH WELL for him,DEMOTED!As told to me by other COs a year later.No charges laid on my part at all,everything as ussual was in order.A CO WITH A SWOLLEN FRIGGEN HEAD!