Pet Hawk

trevy727

Found this guy on the side of the highway on my way home from a spec fishing day. He was sick or something. Picked him up and he could hardly open his/her eyes or keep it's balance. I took it home and later that day it started to keep its balance by spreading it's wings. I kept it in a box over night and gave it water and some fish. The next day it wasn't so friendly. I took the box out onto the deck and after an hour or so, it flew off. Never did figure out what was wrong with it. Wasn't bleeding anywhere. Maybe just sick?

img004___Copy_1.jpg

img001___Copy_1_1.jpg

img001_1_1.jpg

img004_2.jpg

Sometimes they hit cars and get startled. Pretty bird

Sometimes?I think they go after their own reflection from the windshield. :dunno: I had a few hit mine and flew away.What a scare I tell you.As for your being ill,probably ate some rd side kill that was going bad.

hardly open his eyes

couldnt keep his balance

woke up next morning in a bad mood................

hello------ the bird was DRUNK !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

then the hang over !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:blink:

imagesCAT4O649.jpg

quick git me anudder beer

very, very cool. Did it eat the fish?

No I don't think it ate the fish or had any water.

Good job taking care of the fella overnight.

There are a few places in Ontario that care for injured birds of prey. If you encounter and injured hawk or owl, you may want to find a rehab center.

I actually called a lady that does rehabilitate wild animals and left a message, but, she didn't return my call until the next evening when the bird was already gone.

A Red Tailed Hawk ...flies again... B)B):worthy:

Good on ya.. ;)

It was a fully grown rough legged hawk.

Edited by trevy727

It was a fully grown rough legged hawk.

You can see the dark wrist patches in pic with the wings up and the last pic certainly rules out a Red Tailed. Looks like a rough legged to me.

When birds hit things they get stunned, usually due to some swelling that puts pressure on the brain which leads to behaviour very much like you described. Wildlife rehap centers and FLAP (of which I was a member) will inject the birds with an anti inflammatory -- dexamethasone was used then, not sure if it still is. At this point they pretty much do what you did and hold on to the birds until they die or are ready to go.

Anyway, sounds like an awesome experience with a good ending, congrats.