Fish Keeping

Fishnwire

I've goten away from the hobby for the last couple of years, but I used to be quite passionate about tropical fish keeping. At one point I had 17 tanks on the go. Most were breeding or holding tanks but I had a few nice display tanks that I miss from time to time. If I thought I'd ever be happy with a single tank I'd set one up, but I know that for me one leads to two and on and on. Also, the money spent, time occupied, living space taken up and occasional leaks and spills became a sore spot with the wife, so I just don't bother.

I was wondering how many other fisherman have dabbled to one extent or another with fish keeping. It seems like a each is a natural extension of the other.

Also, has anyone had success keeping native species of gamefish, and is it even legal to do so?

I have a 50 gal tank filled with african cichlids. I sometimes wish keeping game fish was legal. It'd be interesting housing a bass in a 150 gal tank. Not all of us can just hop down to Bass Pro...lol

I was into africans years ago. Had a fish room with many tanks mostly for holding and raising fry for "Aquarium Services" here in London. Also bread Bristol Nose Pleco's...They were quite an interesting fish to breed. I ended up selling off all the tanks and equipment eventually...Lots of work to keep a fish room maintained.

Nice DIY setup brifishrgy! Filtration looks good.

I have got 8 tanks going on as well... consisting of mostly africans.

My main tank is a 180 gallon which houses:

a chili red asian arowana

indonesian tiger

new guinea tiger

northern thailand tiger

clown loach

blue phantom pleco

leopard cactus pleco

The other tanks contain colonies of african cichlids...mostly from lake tanganyika.

tropheus moorii lufubu

tropheus moorii ilangi

tropheus moorii "golden kazumba"

cyathopharynx furcifer ruziba

cyathopharynx foai karilani

black calvus

white calvus

and a tank of labidochromis caeruleus and pseudotropheus demasoni

it is illegal to keep game fish... however, a lot of people do. i have had a small bass in a tank, as well as a bluegill and a small gar pike. all are gone now.

i have a 55gal tank now with a crayfish and 2 perch in it.

I've got a 55 gallon tank set up with african cichlids, great rangeof colour and interesting to watch them chase eachother around!. i think it really is an extension of fishing. everytime i see them i think of that bass that might be hiding so i can lure it out! great fun! i recently installed 2 red and one green LED lights in the tank right behind bubble stones. the air comning up looks like fire with the effect! really cool to look at when you turn the lights off!

I just started up with Guppies recently. I was bored plus I had a 20g tank from my sister which she gave me cause she wasn't using it anymore cause all her goldfish died.

So I have guppies in a 20g tank and I have all the small babies in a 10g tank.

Plus I used to put ghost shrimp in with the guppies but found out that some of the tails of the guppies a chewed up. So I took most of the ghost shrimp out and stuck them in 5g tank.

dsn :)

I had 2 largemouths for over 5 years Bob 22" & Bertha 23.25"....I kept them in a 55 gallon.

They would share 3 dozen Dace /week and would each have a feeder mouse per week.

Largemouth do not digest shiners.

They would recognize my wife and kids and myself ... they would greet us at the glass everyday as if to say hello

if a stranger or a friend would stop by the Bass paid no attention to them.

While out camping for the weekend my house was struck by lightening and all electrical devices fried.. including the pump for my tank... when my family and I got home my bass were dead.

I still have the tank and will probably get back to it in the spring.

RFS

:canadian:

had a 25G tank for years and went through the cichlids, snakeheads, arrowanna's and the freshwater gamefish. Moved up to a 50G tank when I moved to oakville and kept Peacock bass for a few years. By far the most entertaining fish I ever had. They grow fast and are always moving around. Went on a business trip one week and something happened to crack the heater and short it out. Temp dropped to 60F and they did not last too long. A shame as they males were getting a nice hump on the head and the colors were spectacular.

For those in the GTA area, there was an aquarium place in the Chinese mall on Dundas and this guy was still getting peacock bass every now and then. Too much work for me now.

Yup! I use to be in to Aquariums as well. I once had a 135gallon tank and a 108 gallon tank filled with African Cichs as well. It is an expensive hobby and you just keep throwing more and more money at it. lol I have kept most of my rocks/gravel, wood and filtration systems just in case I get the itch again in the future. The eheim alone set me back crazy dough.

Maybe one day when I have more time and even more money, I will start it up again.

Ab

Edited by Abraxus

my room set up is looking for new owner if anyone is looking I would trade for fishing stuff possibly

The funny thing is that when I got out of the hobby, despite the $$$$$ I spent on the stuff I had to practically give it away. If I ever do get back into it I'm going to buy all used because I have seen some amazing deals out there on some pretty awesome equipment. There are always lots of guys who are getting out of the hobby and just want rid of their gear.

anyone know how to fix ammonia levels in a fish tank? my minnows are starting to die 1x1...

a water change would be the first thing to do. I would say 1/3 of the tank water taken out and put fresh water in. If you can, put water treatment in the fresh water as it takes out any chlorine that might be in there and harmful to the minnows. Also if you can siphon the waste while you remove the water would also help.

a water change would be the first thing to do. I would say 1/3 of the tank water taken out and put fresh water in. If you can, put water treatment in the fresh water as it takes out any chlorine that might be in there and harmful to the minnows. Also if you can siphon the waste while you remove the water would also help.

Cool, looking into that

GBW did you change the water lately?

naw. LOL. It's been a while since I have but the alert has been on high since the day I got the tank.

There is always the weekend to do these odd jobs... (but I plan on ice fishing this weekend so it won't be soon) ;)

Edited by GBW

I have a 55gal tank of cichlids. I had some gills that I caught out of a pond that were only about an inch big and grew them till about 4 inch and let go before I put the cichlids in. I have a pair of salvinis that spawned and are ready to spawn again. Very cool to watch.

I know someone that has kept perch and bass and stuff in a tank and I mentioned that I would like to keep some crappies but they said don't bother cause they get fungus in the eye's. I have know reason why.

as for keeping minnows this just came to mind. There is a limit in the regs I think you can only have 120 in you possession? So if you have a bunch in a tank make sure you check the regs on it. Not that you'll ever get caught for keeping more. I don't think?

Edited by LD17

A couple Bass video links from my Facebook... Bob & Bertha .. a few weeks before the lightening strike.

If the links don't work let me know I'll try something else.

http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=...hp?v=5847336819

http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=...hp?v=6141666819

http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=5847336819

RFS

:canadian: