Need A Motor

tightline

Hey all not sure if this is the right forum but hell gonna post it anyway...I need a motor for my 14 ft tinny,,,currently it has an old 62 seahorse 28hp on her, but she was really giving me some probs at the end of last year...The problem is it keeps jumping so to speak...starts like a dream but once it engages in gear it will jump and under throttle it happens periodically...like every 10-15 secs...so first off anyone have an idea what this may be, and if so does it make for an easy fix, or am I better off getting a new one and scrap the old girl...If anyone has an answer to this prob or knows where a fella can pick up a used one cheap I'd like to get a 15-25hp nothing special...Figured this worked so well for Solo and his lures I might as well give it a try...so anyone with the answer to my prob or a line on a decent motor please help!! Thanks all :blink:

I would describe it as lets say missing teeth on a gear, where it feels like a millisecond stallout and then re-engage...like when your car is running out of gas...but it happens very fast...the funny part is sometimes it does it sometimes it won't and the length of the occurrences is different...a gas problem would be a blessing, that I can fix...I've tried adjusting the tranny? cable, but nothing seems to work...a friend of mine had a similar problem and a small adjustment to the cable was all it took but this doesn't seem to be the case for me...for the record on the ignition note my boat key did stop working to turn off the boat on a trip to the moon, checked wires and tested current flow all seems ok, but will still not turn off motor...will start motor though...strange

Edited by tightline

Yeah - gotta go with coils too. Had the same with a 1985 30 hp Evinrude. Coils were the culprit. That 28 hp you have is probably a commercial workhorse - worth checking into if the compression is still good. As I recall, my coils weren't bank breaking replacements, certainly were easy enough (minutes as I recall). If it were jumping out of gear - you'd be in a momentary over rev then sudden down rev when re-engaging. Wouldn't be in the least bit surprised if they were readily available (couple days). Haven't got the link for it but try googling BRP parts - you may be able to access the catalogs & look it up yourself. I did that last year for a 1995 115 hp Johnson.

Michael

I don't know anything about motors but what your describing sounds the same as a problem I had. Worn Clutch dog, or Dog Clutch, can never remember which. Google it. Kind of a bigger problem; supposedly you can reverse them. I ended up selling mine to somebody confident that they could fix it.

First let me say, thank you for keeping the old girl running. They are good motors and very reliable when properly serviced. The 1962-64 28 hp is actually a re-issue of the 1955 OMC 25hp, which evolved into the 40 hp of the 1960-70's. Its a big displacement motor. You can literally move mountains with her.

On to your question, I'm not sure by your description if you are having trouble with your engine or gearcase.

A failing clutch dog (gearcase issue) usually pops out of gear and back in very quickly. Normally the engine revs high when it pops out and then dog slams back into gear with a bang. Usually only happens under load. Easy fix, but can be expensive if the gears are damaged at the mating surface. Sometimes you can get away with flipping the dog over. However, that is a short term fix.

If its engine related then the first thing to look at is the coils. Your motor has the old "universal ignition" that was used on most models from 1952 to the mid 1970's and even into the 1990's on the smallest outboards. Coils will run about $26/ea aftermarket or $36/ea at the dealer. Take off the recoil and remove the inspection window from the top of the flywheel (if it has one) and look at the coils. If they are cracked, sweaty or discoloured they need to be replaced (see attachement). The old coils have a 100% failure rate even if they appear to spark well. The "stalling" suggests to me that th engine is "coughing" or losing spark. You may consider replacing the entire ignition (coils, points, condensers, wires and plugs) if that's the case. Your motor is almost 50 years old and deserves a little attention after so many years of good service. A complete new ignition will run about $100-120.

I doubt the problem is fuel related only because it is so intermittent.

PM me your email address and I'll send you some service literature.

Bad_Coils.JPG