Looking to buy a new truck...

ch312

i know i have said that i would never buy big 3 scrap, toyota's are just too expensive and likely cost quite a bit more to fix. i have decided on a 2010 ram 1500 trx model and have started getting quotes from dealers via email. i used the dodge website to build my truck and requested quotes on the exact truck i want and i have only got TWO prices after emailing 12 dealers in a week. you'd think they would reply quickly but that isnt the case.

anyways, just wondering if anyone has heard of any dealerships having great deals on the ram 1500's. they currently have $7250 off, but im cheap and want the best deal possible :D plus i know the stealerships are still making a good buck...

ive read many times on the net that telling them you only want to pay dealer cost + 5% is a way to avoid to much Bull, but how the heck do you find out dealer cost? there are multiple websites for the US, but none for canada.

carcostcanada -- you can go to the website, sign up ($50), and get invoice pricing on whatever it is you want to buy. Also shows manufacturer discounts and promotions. Think you can do up to 10 models of vehicles for 50 bucks.

btw - check out the honda ridgeline. Its a great truck.

Get one thats a couple years old, with low miles. You'll save yourself thousands. My buddy just got an '07 SLT 4X4 crew cab for $17,000, with 17,000km on it.

Buy new, and you lose as soon as you drive off the lot.

S.

well, you cant beat the look of the 2010 rams. plus i love the look of a bright silver truck with the lower 12-16" being dark gray. i also want options that are hard to find on a used vehicle...

im fully aware that its a waste of money, but i like to get what i want. besides, when i sell my house late this year ill be paying off the truck with the profits from the sale. im thinking of it as a free truck :D

does being aggressive and not budging with price work well? im a no Bull type so an ideal experience would be walk into the dealership, show the details of what i want along with MY price, and give 2 options...either take it or i leave. not sure if thats a good idea tho...

well, you cant beat the look of the 2010 rams. plus i love the look of a bright silver truck with the lower 12-16" being dark gray. i also want options that are hard to find on a used vehicle...

im fully aware that its a waste of money, but i like to get what i want. besides, when i sell my house late this year ill be paying off the truck with the profits from the sale. im thinking of it as a free truck :D

does being aggressive and not budging with price work well? im a no Bull type so an ideal experience would be walk into the dealership, show the details of what i want along with MY price, and give 2 options...either take it or i leave. not sure if thats a good idea tho...

read my previous post.

- go to carcostcanada

-get the invoice price on your model, configured as you want.

- the dealer pays invoice price. In general, the $ you pay above that is their profit

- sometimes the manufacturers also offer discounts. This is directly from them, not the dealer

- i would find the invoice price, go in and say you want to pay a fair price.....$1k over invoice. They make a thousand dollars, you get a good deal. Everyone is happy.

Or, should be.

Better to go in with a dollar amount and have a little flexibility and don't be afraid to walk out the door if they refuse to budge.

I remember my first new vehicle negotiation in '89 for a brand new Ford Bronco. I spent quite a lot of time in the dealership negotiating only to turn and walk out because they refused to come down that last $1000. I walked into another dealership told them what I was willing to pay, what the other dealership was willing to sell for, 15 minutes later we were signing the papers at my price. It was hard work but I ended up talking them down $5K off the original price. Asking for prices by email is not really the way to go. Get on the phone and talk to them, it gives them more incentive than dealing with an email that could be from some tire kicker wasting their time. Better yet walk in the front door and talk, then you'll really get their attention.

Good Luck

i know i have said that i would never buy big 3 scrap, toyota's are just too expensive and likely cost quite a bit more to fix. i have decided on a 2010 ram 1500 trx model and have started getting quotes from dealers via email. i used the dodge website to build my truck and requested quotes on the exact truck i want and i have only got TWO prices after emailing 12 dealers in a week. you'd think they would reply quickly but that isnt the case.

anyways, just wondering if anyone has heard of any dealerships having great deals on the ram 1500's. they currently have $7250 off, but im cheap and want the best deal possible :D plus i know the stealerships are still making a good buck...

ive read many times on the net that telling them you only want to pay dealer cost + 5% is a way to avoid to much Bull, but how the heck do you find out dealer cost? there are multiple websites for the US, but none for canada.

ROTFLMAO!!!

If it were me I would buy a Ford!!!

in what way?

I would guess FWD, and a silly auto 4WD system. Full torque to the rears wheels in lock mode ONLY until 6mph, anything over 18mph and the clutch system disengages leaving you without the rears...

Gimme a locker over that anyday if I'm stuck somewhere...

Get one thats a couple years old, with low miles. You'll save yourself thousands. My buddy just got an '07 SLT 4X4 crew cab for $17,000, with 17,000km on it.

Buy new, and you lose as soon as you drive off the lot.

S.

might be a decimal error here .

Edited by waterwolf

I would guess FWD, and a silly auto 4WD system. Full torque to the rears wheels in lock mode ONLY until 6mph, anything over 18mph and the clutch system disengages leaving you without the rears...

Gimme a locker over that anyday if I'm stuck somewhere...

UNI-body dont help either. put a plow on it and watch it buckle like an accordion.

and that false floor will cave in during heavy use.