One last tip

Garry2Rs

Although no one could ever accuse me of being mute, this is will be my Swansong.

My last few fishing/tackle posts have had over 150 hits each, but no reply's

Perhaps instead of a fishing reports or product reviews I should have asked a question...

Something mundane, like "What's the best line"... or ..."What's length rod should I use?"

Maybe a wild opinion like "I think my CTC rods are just as good as G.Loomis anyday!!!" would have stimulated the masses.

I have decided that this will be my last post to OFC and so in an attempt to leave you with something of value, I will offer you one final input, that I hope will be of interest.

In my constant search and research of fishing topics, I found a man in Wichita Kansas who does reels repairs, cleaning and tuning. The comments I saw on US boards were all quite positive, so I contacted him and ultimately sent him six bait caster's to tune for me.

What can I tell you?

After he worked on my Calcutta's, Chronarch's, and Ardent 1000's, which are among the best reels on the market, they are even better than new. His prices are low, less than $20 per reel, and his work is outstanding.

Why should you care?

Well the simple facts are these:

The main difference between a $180 reel like a Curado and a $300 model like a Chronarch is in the smoothness attained by the polishing of the working surfaces. This is hand work, so you will pay dearly for it.

As part of his Pro-tune, Kevin smooths all of these working surfaces. The net result is that you gain yards on your casts and your anti-backlash controls work better than ever before.

Check out:

www.proreelservice.com

Good Luck and Goodbye.

Garry2R's

[email protected]

Fishing is still my favorite form of loafing.

Garry I'm relatively new here. I read your posts always, including on "other" boards. I can only suggest that you leave nothing to question - your reports are fully detailed and leave nothing to wonder about. I suggest this to be the reason for little or no response, coupled with jealousy over your location right now (I know I am!). I hope you reconsider, I promise I will respond, I just haven't felt I've been here long enough to interact as much as others. I sure would miss your reports, I got a real kick out of how short your "winter" was there.

Michael

Garry,

Wonderful and USEFULL information that I, will certainly appreciate! I find most forums nowadays are very clique

oriented and if your not part of it you get left out and ignored! I am a member of a lot of fishing forums and I have quit a few out of frustration! Some are good ,some a waste of time ! Some people post just to accumulate posts !To each his own I guess! Sorry to see you go ,but having been there I understand!

Tight lines

Gil

Kinda surprised to hear you make this comment Garry as I honestly don't think I ever recall you commenting on anyone elses fishing reports either, course I coulda missed it too.

I'll be fishing Stoney alot this year, maybe I'll see you up there.

I'm sorry to hear this Garry. Very sorry.

You have provided us with knowledge of baitcasters like no one could ever have done. BUT, you have left this board twice before so I don't feel as though it's a real severance of ties. I hope that things go well for you Garry. Lotsa folks look up to you here.

Perhaps instead of a fishing reports or product reviews I should have asked a question...

Something mundane, like "What's the best line"... or ..."What's length rod should I use?"

Maybe a wild opinion like "I think my CTC rods are just as good as G.Loomis anyday!!!" would have stimulated the masses.

Garry, it is what it is...not worth taking personally...the last actual fishing report I put on here had zero replies as well, oh, well. You must realise that there are alot of younger guys on these forums, or people that are new to a form of fishing that ask some of those questions legitimately. I know when I asked about musky rods, I got alot of responses, including many offers for used rods...one of which I purchased, another that I still might.

Granted there are many topics that just make me shake my head...ignore them and move on.

Great info on the reels.

Good luck and good fishing!!

I'm kinda surprised you're offended by the winter lack of enthusiasm. I check in daily and as far as I can see this is the silly season in OFC. If it ain't about the Olympics or ice fishing it's getting little to no action, and icefishing isn't even getting that much of late. You've been spending too much time chasing Yuma bass in the warm sun and have forgotten how the cold and snow stifles our curiosity up here. When we're all wetting lines regularly we hang off your every thread, and for good reason. But this late in the winter doldrums we're all suffering brain freeze and can barely muster the enthusiasm to argue about hockey let alone summer fishing.

If it weren't for guys like you how would us newbies learn to do it right in the nice weather? C'mon ya grumpy old fart. Cut us some slack here. :P

Besides, if memory serves you got some response on your Cabela's reel deal, didn't you?

JF

Hope you reconsider leaving. Thought your posts were cool. True sharing is sharing and expecting nothing in return. If I had to rely on any internet forum for my daily dose of happiness then I'd know I'm missing something important in my real world.

Not sure what any of us should expect :dunno: but I know when I do a fishing report it's nice to see what people think but it's not necessary :blahblah1: , I've had a few PM's or email's from people I know & don't know, saying that until they saw my reports they never thought that you could do so good in that cold of water for smallies, after slowing down their presentation they had better success :Gonefishing: , the more people that share the more information people will get out of this forum :thumbsup_anim: & I would be like a lot of others not enough time to post on every good topic I see :wallbash: , being on about 8 or 12 other forums, 3 kids, 2 grand kids, job, 3 fishing clubs etc etc :w00t:

Just my 2 cents Richard

Garry,

I should probably send this to you in the form of a PM, but since you opened this can of worms I will weigh in.

I consider you a very knowledgeable angler that is clearly dedicated to the sport (so much so that you can apparently derive some income from it). And that could be a part of the lack of response problem. When you speak it tends to be a thread ender (check it out, you have ended more threads than the mods!). What I mean by that is when you weigh in with a "I'm Garry two R's and that's the way I see it" post, what are us mere armatures supposed to say?

Perhaps at the end of the day this forum isn't "all business" enough for you. Personally, the fact that someone can post a kick-ass fishing report then follow it up with a "what kind of tires should I buy?" post is what is awesome about this place.

And maybe it is just me but, I also think that people are becoming slightly more aware of guides making posts that don't say much other than "if you want to actually know anything, hire me", and respond accordingly.

Enjoy the warm weather.

Jim

Garry, I should probably send this to you in the form of a PM, but since you opened this can of worms I will weigh in. I consider you a very knowledgeable angler that is clearly dedicated to the sport (so much so that you can apparently derive some income from it). And that could be a part of the lack of response problem. When you speak it tends to be a thread ender (check it out, you have ended more threads than the mods!). What I mean by that is when you weigh in with a "I'm Garry two R's and that's the way I see it" post, what are us mere armatures supposed to say? Perhaps at the end of the day this forum isn't "all business" enough for you. Personally, the fact that someone can post a kick-ass fishing report then follow it up with a "what kind of tires should I buy?" post is what is awesome about this place. nd maybe it is just me but, I also think that people are becoming slightly more aware of guides making posts that don't say much other than "if you want to actually know anything, hire me", and respond accordingly. Enjoy the warm weather. Jim
^

.|

.|What he said.

.|

Edited by lhousesoccer

you are so wrong it isnt funny....in my mind a fisherman doesnt EXPECT any results from anything he does fishing related ....he merely does it for the passion of the sport weather it be on the lake ,river or the fishing forum....if you have found you have lost the passion of one of the aspects...then so be it ...delete that aspect ..take your marbles and go home ....some will miss you ...some could careless...the only one that matters is you ...so do whats good for you ...

If its a prerequisite for the people around you to praise your every gesture every day then i hope when your out "making new friends" you include a physiologist to help you through your issues

I have found some of your threads very informative but never make a decision on one persons opinion...

tight lines and play nice with the new kids on your new adventures :)

Garry, I'm very sorry to hear this. I enjoy all your fishing threads, but have recently become very busy at work and if I can sneak in time to read a post, I really don't have time to put in a proper response so I don't reply. I'm just happy I got a minute to read it. "Nice fish" barely does a great report justice so sometimes its just easier to not respond. No disrespect meant.

Hope you reconsider.

Joey

Hey Garry! If it's any consolation, this thread has been up for only 6 hours and you have 445 hits and 20 replies!

That's gotta mean something......I was gunna post your video rendition of "On the Road Again" but I can't find it just now and expecting company here. I'm sure that someone will. (hopefully)

Lets say I put up a report on a fishing excursion I had. And I gave each person that reads the thread 2$. Would it be fair to ask for a dollar back from each person that reads it? You probably wouldn't say so. But essentially, thats what you're doing when you expect replies to a report, post, what ever. Sharing comes without expectations. If you're not content with sharing your adventures and having people sometimes not reply, then I guess I can see why you're not happy. Good luck on yer travels.

Garry...sorry you feel you must leave OFC because you got no reply to a report...

I have always found your reports a good read, informative and entertaining much like a good article in a fishing magazine but I've never sent a letter to the editor...

Now, if you had asked a question and got no answer (like what happened to me on my first post) I wouldn't blame you for feeling the way you do...

I stuck around for the past eight years or so just for spite !!! (Ignore me will you ?) :rolleyes::lol: