My biology teacher thinks C&R is bad

Mykester

Regardless of whether it was wise, right or smart, the law was passed. Since when have politicians been wise or smart or even followed biologists advice. Look at the spring bear hunt, there was no evidence that it was hurting the bear population but it is gone and look at the consequences. Looked like, for the most part a cave in to animal rights types.

Actually the Swiss have always impressed me as a bunch of straight up type people. Last I heard they had compulsory miltitary service and you got to take your weapons home with you. Not a bunch of left wing liberals.

Yeah, that's not a good idea..

Regardless of her opinion, she's entitled to it.

And if this was a biology teacher spouting "Intelligent Design" propaganda would you feel the same? I don't see alot of difference between that and alot of the P3TA claptrap being foisted.

Atleast Jesus was a fisherman :D

And if this was a biology teacher spouting "Intelligent Design" propaganda would you feel the same? I don't see alot of difference between that and alot of the P3TA claptrap being foisted.

Atleast Jesus was a fisherman :D

I didn't know it was the job of some random person on a fishing forum to somehow take what this teacher said personally and actually DO something about it.

Think about the consequences that could have for a sec.. Regardless if you agree with her or not (which I don't btw)

The scary thing is this is how it starts...animal activist groups love these opinions....first you ban catch and release, because it is cruel...than you go for a complete ban on sportfishing. Rulings like the ones in europe start to set precedent...God forbid it EVER happens here!!!!!!

Someone who is supposed to be a biology teacher should know better than to be anthropomorphizing animals. Fish lack the ability to be 'tortured' since their brain is only capable of simple flight or fight responses and are not capable of being in any way emotionally scarred.

I would call her out on it and tell her she is being irresponsible. Science has no place for emotions. Especially misplaced ones.

I didn't know it was the job of some random person on a fishing forum to somehow take what this teacher said personally and actually DO something about it.

Think about the consequences that could have for a sec.. Regardless if you agree with her or not (which I don't btw)

She's supposed to think of the consequences of what she says in the classroom. Isn't that what teaching is about?

Edited by hammercarp

Writing a professional letter to the school principal from a concerned parent with regards to the teachers misinformation backed up with ministry facts will go a lot farther that approaching the teacher and telling her to shut up.

btw Jesus was a carpenter, some of the Apostles were fishermen.

Edited by Syn

Man - we have a pretty self-centered view here. Everyone here is for fishing and C&R, but lets not tar and feather the lady for having an opinion. There are others in the world who wouldn't agree with our views. Doesn't necessarily make them evil or idiotic.

She may come from a country in Europe where everyone is taught that it is torturous to Catch and Release. I don't agree with it, but i *get* the thinking behind it.

Also -- Rick, fish may not have emotions the way we have emotions but fish do get "stressed". Its hardly impact-less to catch fish (especially some species). Doesn't mean i won't do it (i absolutely love fishing) but its not like she's saying the world is flat.

Also -- what's with all the teacher hate? Kind of painting all of them with one brush, isn't it?

Edited by cram

She's supposed to think of the consequences of what she says in the classroom. Isn't that what teaching is about?

Just to play devils advocate....

Is she teaching kids to think catch and release fishing is cruel, or was this just an opinion she shared?

I doubt it's part of the course curriculum....

Feeling the OP was lacking some info:

*I mentioned that predatory fish would evolve to have fewer nerve endings in their mouths since many of the fish they prey on have prickly fins. First she asked if "I was a fish and I know for a fact it doesn't hurt" but quickly changed her opinion and agreed with me, although she mentioned that certain fish may not be as evolved. I was thinking panfish, but these are primarily eaten, and trout, however flyfishermen tend to use barbless hooks, and stocked trout are primarily stocked in ponds to be eaten.

*Rambled about how C&R is cruel but then I mentioned how fishing was a sport and then she sort of went quiet.

*Then mentioned how these wounds left imprinted by the hooks could lead to infection. While it is a fair point, I don't believe killing every single fish you catch just because a few may become infected is justified.

One of the teachers in our department is a fly fishing fanatic and he probably drives her to the wall talking about all his fishing adventures, lol. By the way this was just an opinion she shared, I'm not mad or anything but I do find this sort of ignorance baffling, especially since we have a bunch of those Greenpeace nuts in the classroom.

Well I have studied fish in college and University for 6 years... I hold a diploma as an Aquaculture technician and a BSc with honours in Marine and Freshwater Biology (most of classes were fish related). Lastly I love to fish. There is no doubt that the fish feel some level of stress when being caught. But as far as feeling pain the way you and I or your family pet does, forget about it.

I found a really good link on Gord Ellis Website that is really up to date and explains everything for everyone to understand.

http://www.gordellis.com/articles/other_03.htm

As far as bashing the teach. She is entitled to her opinion and I don't think we should bash her so badly. How is this Kid going to believe a word she says now? Its good to ask questions and its good to debate, but if we are going to win over the hearts and minds of non-fishers we better be a little more tactful.

As far as bashing the teach. She is entitled to her opinion and I don't think we should bash her so badly. How is this Kid going to believe a word she says now? Its good to ask questions and its good to debate, but if we are going to win over the hearts and minds of non-fishers we better be a little more tactful.

If the teacher is teaching science, she should not be offering up any type of opinion not based in fact. If she's like to have some discourse, doing it with high school kids is not the right forum.

If she has a defensible hypothesis, then offer it and encourage kids to research for debate. But tossing something like that out is rather irresponsible given the audience. She should not be pushing any agenda.

Well I have studied fish in college and University for 6 years... I hold a diploma as an Aquaculture technician and a BSc with honours in Marine and Freshwater Biology (most of classes were fish related). Lastly I love to fish. There is no doubt that the fish feel some level of stress when being caught. But as far as feeling pain the way you and I or your family pet does, forget about it.

I found a really good link on Gord Ellis Website that is really up to date and explains everything for everyone to understand.

http://www.gordellis.com/articles/other_03.htm

Once again. As a teacher, a professional, she should be fully cognizant of the consequences of what she is saying to her students.

I agree with you guys whole heartedly, a teacher should not be throwing their "opinion" around. But bashing won't solve anything. One of the best lines i ever heard from a Prof that I respect very much. "Science takes part, its doesn't take sides." Interesting enough that study that P3TA and other animal rights groups are clinging to, does just that, it takes a side in argement. I see it all the time. I think the kid was looking for ammo to take back, not our "opinion" of the teacher.